I-Activsense worth it?

Bdevil

:
CX-5 GT AWD
This is about my only decision left on my cx-5. Anyone not get it and feel like they miss it? Anyone spring for it and think it was a waste? Not being full speed radar seems to be a deal breaker. That and I purposefully let the car go out of the lane onto the shoulder while on the highway and the lane departure never cared.

This is about my only decision left on my cx-5. Anyone not get it and feel like they miss it? Anyone spring for it and think it was a waste? Not being full speed radar seems to be a deal breaker. That and I purposefully let the car go out of the lane onto the shoulder while on the highway and the lane departure never cared.

Other than Lane Keeping Assist everything else in i-Activsense is absolutely worth it in IMHO. The Rear Cross Traffic and Blind Spot Monitor have proven its worth a couple of time in near accident situation.

Other than Lane Keeping Assist everything else in i-Activsense is absolutely worth it in IMHO. The Rear Cross Traffic and Blind Spot Monitor have proven its worth a couple of time in near accident situation.

BSM and RCTA are not part of i-activesense. I do agree they are extremely helpful though.

As for the i-activesense package, I don't have it an regret all the time for not getting it. But I also think that's just because I always want the top loaded and best and I skimped on this package as I thought at the time I didn't want it. Plus was trying to keep cost down. Looking back, I probably would of went ahead and ponied up the extra grand for it. The main feature I would want from it is the lane departure warning system. Seems awesome, especially if you drive a lot of highway. Although every time I drive my dad's cx5, he always has it off. I haven't asked him but maybe that feature is more annoying than useful. Radar cruise would be nice too. Dammnit, there I go again regretting my choice lol I just tell myself it's extra fluff that really doesn't change much about the car and it still accomplishes what I need.

If you have the money, go for it.

I'm a "driver input" kindof guy. The only new-fangled fancy thing I like is rear back-up cameras. I can do without ABS (owned cars without it), can do without all this BSM stuff, and can do without VDC and active yaw control and all of that crap. It causes more problems than it solves, I'll tell you that. VDC actually wiped me out once. I was experiencing some slight hydroplaning in my 370Z (horrible Potenza's), anyway, I let off the throttle, and SLOWLY began applying brake. VERY VERY slowly. Well, because VDC sensed a speed differential with the tires...it did stuff. Stupid stuff. One minute I was lifting, the next I was LIGHTLY applying brake to settle the front tires. The next minute something violent occurred and the car did a full 180*. I stabbed the clutch to save the driveline, and slide off the road. No real harm done, but it really hacked me off. I have never ONCE had VDC or any of that crap actually do something FOR me. Although maybe I just wasn't aware...I can say on one occassion TC MIGHT have saved me, when I was young and dumb, but then...I had a 5.0 that LOVED to slide around, and had ZERO electronics, and I somehow managed to do fine with it...

*GM's PTM is in another league, and I love it!
*Active AWD systems do rock
*Torque vectoring is awesome.

i have GT with Tech only so i don't know what i'm missing, and therefore don't miss it ;)

The only feature I switch off is the lane departure warning/lane keep assist. I paid 800 for the package (about $1200) and don't regret it. I think it will help the resale value too.

I was under the impression it was a passive lane departure warning system and not an active lane keep assist program. People seem to be using these terms interchangeably and they are not the same. Also seems to be confusion on what is in this ppackage as people are mentioning features they like that has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
I had the same mental debate when purchasing my CX-5 last December. After getting the opinions/experiences of a few forum members, and thinking about it, I decided to just get the package. My opinion on the package features:

- Radar Cruise Control: Love it! If you do some highway driving, then this is a great feature to have to make the drive more relaxing. Additionally, it's a great safety feature if you (for whatever reason) take your eye off the road for just that split second and the car in front slows down (or someone slower than you moves into your lane). I know you're probably thinking 'I'm a driver, I don't want this technology stuff!'. I too love to drive (that's why I chose the CX-5 over a Rav4 or CR-V), but let's be real, highway driving is straightforward and sometimes quite boring. Having the radar cruise control is a very nice thing especially on long highway road trips.

- Smart Brake Support: This is brake support when going at higher speeds than the Smart City Brake Support. I've had this feature engage/intervene a couple of times when fast moving highway traffic suddenly comes to a halt. Again, I know you probably feel you're a driver and you'll always be prepared and ready, but this is just an added layer of safety if you don't react quick enough. Is it a life saver? Probably not, but it can definitely be an accident saver..which means it's also an insurance claim saver, headache saver, etc. You won't need it often, but it's nice to know it's there.

- Lane Departure Warning: Eh, as many have said, it's annoying due to its sensitivity. But again, it's just a warning system to help alert you. I still keep this feature on, but instead of the annoying beep sound, I changed it to the rumble strip sound. I wouldn't have added this option if Mazda allowed you to pick n' choose each option, but it's part of the package so oh well.

- Distance Recognition Support System: This is only really usable if you engage the Radar Cruise Control. It allows you to control the gap to the car ahead when using the radar cruise control. I always just keep it set at the closest distance, so I don't really use this feature to adjust the gap.

- High Beam Control: Can be handy in the right environment. With my highway miles, it also includes some night time rural driving. I thought this would be the perfect environment for this feature, but unfortunately the system is very sensitive and switches the high beam off due to a stop sign in the distance reflecting light back at the car. It's a great feature in the right environment, but I'm an alert (and respectful) enough driver to just operate my high beam manually.

I have no problems with utilizing technology to bring an added layer of safety to my or my family's driving. I don't view these features as making you lazy and less of a driver, but they're just safety or comfort features there to help you out when you need/want it. Since I do a lot of highway miles on the weekend, the Radar Cruise Control was the main selling point. My plan is to keep the car for about 10 years, so for that period of time having this feature alone made it worth the price of the package. When I thought about it some more, ... yeah it's a little vain, but having a 'fully loaded' car is cool....and also, the package is $1,500, while the car is a tick over $30K, so you're adding another 5% to the price. Honestly, that's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Hope this help. Feel free to ask any specific questions.

My grand jeep Cherokee had high beam control with variable output staging. Back in 2010. It worked great, too. I simply disabled it because I wanted the ability to hibeam a vehicle if the need arose. All of these new, cool things seem to be standard compared to what I'm used to from much older American vehciles. It's my one gripe about the Japanese technology, and that's that it's half a decade behind American vehicles, feature wise. Same story for the 2015 Honda pilot I test drove. My 2010 jeep had more tech and features.

Nice informative thread, as I passed on the I-active package and have a GT with the tech only. I am not a huge cruise control user and I felt that the RCC was the main draw of the package followed by the SBS and the HBC sounded interesting. Of all the features I think the SBS is the one I sometimes think about still. I have the SCBS, but the SBS would be nice to have, not a big deal though.

Had the radar cruise control on my '14 Mazda6. Worked great! It kept me a perfect distance from the cars in front of me on the highway! I didn't get it on my '16 CX-5 because although nice, it was just too expensive and costly to replace should it ever go bad.
I did get the LED headlamps and hear they are over $1000 to replace though. Go figure.

I agree with pretty much everything SK77X said, but I'll add a bit more from my perspective...

- Radar Cruise Control: This is the main reason I got this package. I don't do a ton of highway driving, but when I do this feature alone makes the whole package worth it.

- Smart Brake Support: Just in case...you never know when you may need it.

- Lane Departure Warning: I have this turned off completely. It's too sensitive for daily driving. However when I go on a road trip with long highway stretches I'll probably turn it on.

- Distance Recognition Support System: I use this with the radar cruise control. I have this set in the middle so that I give someone time to move over, but then I can close the gap if I need to. Handy feature.

- High Beam Control: I mostly drive in the city so this isn't used on a daily basis, but again for long distances it could be handy.

I feel like it's well worth the $1,500 premium. It strangely helps my ego to know mine is fully loaded, it should help resale value down the road, the added safety bits could save your life at some point, and in the big picture it's not that much money.

Unfortunately $$$ was a factor for me, so I had to opt out . . . and I regret it. If I had to do it over again, I would bite the bullet and get it. Absolutely.

Okay think I'm convinced to take the plunge and get it. Can you guys confirm its just a lane departure warning system and there is absolutely no lane keep assist?

At under $2k, I think the i_ActiveSense package is a bargain considering you'd pay through the nose if you wanted to add these options on a Euro luxury car. Not sure what they have in your country but here in Australia Lane Keep Assist is part of the safety package in the current 16 model.

My grand jeep Cherokee had high beam control with variable output staging. Back in 2010. It worked great, too. I simply disabled it because I wanted the ability to hibeam a vehicle if the need arose. All of these new, cool things seem to be standard compared to what I'm used to from much older American vehciles. It's my one gripe about the Japanese technology, and that's that it's half a decade behind American vehicles, feature wise. Same story for the 2015 Honda pilot I test drove. My 2010 jeep had more tech and features.

IMO... kind of a mishmash over the years...some here in US and some in Japan... in the 80's seemingly more overall tech on Japanese cars than US vehicles. Look at some of the tech on a late '80's Mitsubish Sigma or 3000GT. Granted the high beam control goes back to 80's in US cars but something changed with road reflectors or something like that and option went away at the end of that decade.

Radar cruise has been available on the Infiniti line since about 2001 or 2002 (Q45/QX4). Mercedes I believe had it in the late 90's... I know tech dates even further back but just reference volume production vehicles.

IMO... kind of a mishmash over the years...some here in US and some in Japan... in the 80's seemingly more overall tech on Japanese cars than US vehicles. Look at some of the tech on a late '80's Mitsubish Sigma or 3000GT. Granted the high beam control goes back to 80's in US cars but something changed with road reflectors or something like that and option went away at the end of that decade.

Radar cruise has been available on the Infiniti line since about 2001 or 2002 (Q45/QX4). Mercedes I believe had it in the late 90's... I know tech dates even further back but just reference volume production vehicles.

Yeah. I just remember when SUV shopping for a replacement for my Jeep, only another Jeep, $60k+ Benz/BMW, or Korean vehicles matched it.

The High Beam Control is a feature I would like. I often use high beams on rural/country roads.

Along with radar cruise control for long trips, the high beam control was important for us. We live about 12 miles from the interstate turn-off, and it's a twisty 2 lane road. With constant traffic. Set the high beam on automatic and concentrate on driving. I will admit that manual control of the high beams is better, but in our case you need to be pretty active with the traffic, switching like every 30 seconds. It does get fooled by overpass lights and reflections from signs, so not perfect for highway driving. It WILL keep the high beams on during a right hand turn into oncoming traffic (as the lights also turn). Clever.

Back