Blind Spot Monitor

Impe2s

:
2016 CX-5
I purchased and took delivery of my 2016 CX-5 Touring last week Tuesday. Took it to get tinted today (3m charcoal on the rear sides and back/ ceramic on the front driver and passenger windows. Since then I've noticed my BMS not functioning properly. It lights up when nothing is there and doesn't turn on at all when something is. It does light up at startup as normal. Anyone have insight if this is due to tint or should I just bring it in for warranty. Thank you!

I purchased and took delivery of my 2016 CX-5 Touring last week Tuesday. Took it to get tinted today (3m charcoal on the rear sides and back/ ceramic on the front driver and passenger windows. Since then I've noticed my BMS not functioning properly. It lights up when nothing is there and doesn't turn on at all when something is. It does light up at startup as normal. Anyone have insight if this is due to tint or should I just bring it in for warranty. Thank you!

The blind spot monitor relies on radar sensor mounted on the bumper. I would not have thought the tinting of windows would interfere with the radar.

Did you notice was it working before the tinting job?

Shucks... That's what I was thinking too. It was working fine prior to the tint going on. I actually didn't notice it not working till 30 miles after i picked up the car when I turned into a empty parking lot. *sigh* I hope this isn't the start of many things to go wrong. When driving home from the dealership after taking delivery, I noticed the vinyl trim around the a/v screen peeling.

Yeah window tinting should not affect these two radar sensors in the corners inside of rear bumper. And it's highly unlikely those tinting guys messed up the radar and BSM system. May have to take your CX-5 to your dealer for warranty service.

BTW, remember to set your Maintenance Moniter on oil chance to "Flexible" to activate your oil life monitor and take advantage of up to 10,000-mile or 12-month oil change interval.

... When driving home from the dealership after taking delivery, I noticed the vinyl trim around the a/v screen peeling.
Since you just bought a 2016, not a 2016.5 CX-5, may be yours had been sitting under the sun for too long in dealer's parking lot. But they're many people had the same experience with peeling trim like yours and it shouldn't be a surprise. Dealer will replace it under warranty.

Thanks limleong and yrwei52 for the quick responses and tip on the maintenance monitor. I will reach out to Mazda tomorrow to get the sensor issue checked out. Regarding the dash, the dealership is "suppose" to give me a call to schedule that repair.

... Regarding the dash, the dealership is "suppose" to give me a call to schedule that repair.
You should insist a new trim for the infotainment screen, not a "repair" job with some sort of glues. Tell your dealer that's what other dealers did.

BTW, remember to set your Maintenance Moniter on oil chance to "Flexible" to activate your oil life monitor and take advantage of up to 10,000-mile or 12-month oil change interval.
Isn't that a bit too far? I realize the usual 5k mile service is too often, but 10,000? These cars don't take much oil, only 4.4 quarts, and my previous 2015 Golf 1.8t took 5.5 quarts and had a 10k interval. So the oil would be more contaminated, quicker, because of less oil. And when I changed oil in my Golf, the oil was BLACK. Like I was weary of taking it that far, but VW recommends 10k. Same with my 2013 Jetta TDI, and it takes 5.2 quarts.

Isn't that a bit too far? I realize the usual 5k mile service is too often, but 10,000? These cars don't take much oil, only 4.4 quarts, and my previous 2015 Golf 1.8t took 5.5 quarts and had a 10k interval. So the oil would be more contaminated, quicker, because of less oil. And when I changed oil in my Golf, the oil was BLACK. Like I was weary of taking it that far, but VW recommends 10k. Same with my 2013 Jetta TDI, and it takes 5.2 quarts.

I would be more concerned if after 10k miles my oil was still clear. It would mean the impurities are in my engine rather than in the fluid.

Back