cx 5 tow hitch?

vinnyp08

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport/ Meteor Gray
Hey all, any advice on what hitch to get for a 2016 cx 5? It doesn't need to be crazy, I really just want to get a hitch mounted bike rack.

any tips on either would be great. Thanks guys!

What is the purpose of the require curt stabilizer strap for their hitch?

Just because of it I was looking at the hiddenHitch hitch for my 2016 cx-5

So weird! I put in the amazon link and it switched it to homedepot?! Don't get it from Home Depot. Buy it from Amazon.

What is the purpose of the require curt stabilizer strap for their hitch?

Just because of it I was looking at the hiddenHitch hitch for my 2016 cx-5

It puts some tension on the bike rack so that there isn't any excessive movement. Curt has a bike hitch that requires the strap on the 1 1/4" hitch but not on the full 2" model. Weird. I agree with others, a nice platform style bike rack is most convenient.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? On etrailer they said the C13127 2inch receiver require stabilisation strap too for bike rack. 😕

Are you sure about that? On etrailer they said the C13127 2inch receiver require stabilisation strap too for bike rack. ��

Sorry I should have been more specific. I have the Curt Bike Rack #18034 and in the instructions it says its not needed. Not sure about other racks though.

S2CDpYc.png

Curt hitch and Thule T2 or T2 Pro, depending on your budget and bikes. If you have beach/park cruisers and don't care about the frame, hanging them from the top tube is okay, but if it's a higher-end bike, I prefer a rack that offers a wheel cradle and secures the bike by the wheels, with no frame contact. It's easier to take the bike on and off and doesn't damage the frame. I really scratched up a carbon frame and destroyed a decal before I realized that my Saris trunk rack had a hard plastic "rivet" holding the strap to the rack which came in direct contact with the frame. My T2 Pro is a great rack, if a little expensive.

Ordered this one last night around midnight and it already shipped! If it arrives safely and quickly that's some rad service from etrailer right there. Next up is a quality bike rack...on to searching for those threads now.
Search this list for some tips on installing it. It isn't hard, but there are some tricks. From memory. Dish detergent works to help remove the muffler hangers. I did it alone, and found that rolling the back tires on to 2 2X10s stacked was just enough added height. (Note, that is 2 2X10s laying flat on top of one another and screwed together.) Nothing fancy. I placed a 2X4 under the hitch, found the balance point, and set the board and hitch on a roll around jack. That made it easy to position the hitch and hold it in place while I put the bolts in.

Be safe.

Frank

I have a draw-tite that I got from 4 wheel online. Installation is a bit straightforward. Did some research and I found out that this hitch is a bit lighter than the Curt and its receiver doesn't stick out much, so I chose it.

I have a draw-tite that I got from 4 wheel online. Installation is a bit straightforward. Did some research and I found out that this hitch is a bit lighter than the Curt and its receiver doesn't stick out much, so I chose it.

CONFIRMED!!

original post that educated me is here : https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...n-the-market&p=6451143&viewfull=1#post6451143

Here's pics of my draw-tite class III : https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...n-the-market&p=6477571&viewfull=1#post6477571

Back