what are ways to make CX-5 ride softer?

It's designed for responsive driving dynamics... which means firm ride. Reducing tire PSI will soften it somewhat, but not that much.

Honestly? get a CR-V. The CX-5 is not that vehicle. It was not designed to "ride soft", nor is there a cheap way to make it do so that I am aware of.

You can buy some coilovers, increase the ride height to the monster truck stock height, and adjust the damper to full soft.

Possible blown shock or strut???

Has the feeling changed since you have owned it???

Honestly? get a CR-V. The CX-5 is not that vehicle. It was not designed to "ride soft", nor is there a cheap way to make it do so that I am aware of.

Too late, already brought it. I like cx5 handling but I want a little comfort too, I am sure Mazda can do better than right now.

I drove a rental GX with 16s, it was quite a bit softer than my GT with 19s. What tire/wheel setup are you running?

Too late, already brought it. I like cx5 handling but I want a little comfort too, I am sure Mazda can do better than right now.

I think you are stuck then. Every review of the CX-5 online mentions it is a little stiffer in the suspension than the competition but this is what makes it fun to drive! Maybe you could order some of those cushion seat covers?

Yes, the CX-5 has firm suspension, but it is possible something's wrong with yours.
Does it feel much different than what you test drove? Has it changed at all?

For me it feels on the firm side but not jarring or unsettled even a bit. It could definitely be worse.

Air suspension is a nice ride, and nice for static too. I wouldn't get it myself because I prefer the cornering performance of a shock/spring.

When he drives, he can raise it up as needed.
13321880_10154860244283942_4074811021640417692_n.jpg

Hello all, new guy here.After 2 + years decided to join and post.I've learned alot and may be able to contribute occasionally.
Anyway, regarding ride quality,after purchasing my 2014 cx-5 touring fwd i had second thoughts because it just rode too hard sometimes.After 3000 miles I got rid of the stock yoko's and put on General Altimax rt-43 H rated tires.Ride got alot more comfortable but lost some handling response and leaned a little more in the turns.No big deal to me.I run them no less than 36 psi front and 35 psi rear.

The second improvement in ride comfort came when I complained to the dealer about a groaning/creaking sound when braking firmly especially in wet weather.Sure enough there is a TSB and they upgraded my front lower control arm bushings.I'm guessing these are the softer bushings Mazda started putting in the 2015 models at some point.The back still has the original (firmer?) suspension bushings but I don't have rear passengers so I don't know how it rides back there.
If you're running the stock 17" geolandar tires you might consider a better riding tire.I do mostly in town driving and in the first 2000 miles my yoko's wore 2/32" off in front and 1/32" in rear and get this: 1000 of the 2000 miles was highway driving.So I didn't feel too bad about getting rid of lousy riding lousy wearing tires
Didn't mean to get too windy here but wanted to give you my experience cheers, Jmaz

Anyway, regarding ride quality,after purchasing my 2014 cx-5 touring fwd i had second thoughts because it just rode too hard sometimes.After 3000 miles I got rid of the stock yoko's and put on General Altimax rt-43 H rated tires.Ride got alot more comfortable but lost some handling response and leaned a little more in the turns.
I second to switch to softer tires. I have a set of General AltiMax RT43 grand touring all season tires on my Honda CR-V and they're excellent touring tires with very low price. Highly recommend it for the price!

I went through a few bumps/sewer caps yesterday, at 45mph. I thought I'd feel the hits heavily as my tires is at 38psi (going from winter to summer, haven't adjusted back yet), but surprisingly it's less rough than my Accord Sport. In general, the ride is more comfortable than the Accord Sport with 18" wheel (my CX-5 is stock 17").

I'm not sure if there's a difference between 2015 and 2016 models, but I don't have any complain about the ride softness/hardness.

Back