How noisy are the OEM Mazda CX-5 roof rails?

:
Fredericton Canada
:
2018 CX-5 GT
I have been thinking of installing a set of Mazda roof rails and crossbars. Now from past experience with roof rack systems I'm guessing that the Mazda crossbars will produce some wind noise but I'd probably not have the crossbars installed all the time. So, I'm more concerned with wind noise from the rails which I would leave on permanently. Anyone have experience with these?

Our 2016 has the roof rails and no crossbars (yet). I don't notice any wind noise at all.

Last edited:
mine have wind noise. it's not very noticeable unless you're listening for it. usually around 15-40 i hear it. I'm usually playing radio so i rarely notice it much.

mine have wind noise. it's not very noticeable unless you're listening for it. usually around 15-40 i hear it. I'm usually playing radio so i rarely notice it much.

Would you say that the wind noise gets worse for you at speeds over 60-65, for, example when you're on the highway?

I don't notice anything at high speeds. It might be noticeable if the windows are down and you're listening for it.

Our 2016.5 Touring has the factory roof rack rails and we have had the vehicle up to 75+ on the Parkway... There's no wind (or other) noise at all...

I just got mine a week ago with out the roof rails, then had them installed and have the same issue. The dealer couldn't figure out my wind noise, thanks for your post. I just removed the rails and the noise goes away.

Wish I had found this forum sooner, I got the roof rails and there is noise 15-40 mph, the closer they are the more noticeable. The dealer was baffled where the noise was from until I showed him this.

I just got mine a week ago with out the roof rails, then had them installed and have the same issue. The dealer couldn't figure out my wind noise, thanks for your post. I just removed the rails and the noise goes away.

Wish I had found this forum sooner, I got the roof rails and there is noise 15-40 mph, the closer they are the more noticeable. The dealer was baffled where the noise was from until I showed him this.

Before the roof rack install you didn't notice any wind noise but you had the noise after the install and your dealer was baffled as to the source of the noise? Wow, I hope that nothing complex ever comes up...

I have OEM ones with crossbars permanently installed. No difference at any speed.

My roof rails sound like a turbo spooling. Irritating because Mustang GTs and EVOs are constantly wanting to race me. Just need to get the exhaust blow off valve for increased HP.

I noticed slight whirling noise only at low speeds after installing the crossbars. No noise at high speeds though.

I have factory rails and crossbars. I notice a whir that comes and goes at low speeds, 15-45 mph. I don't notice it at high speeds but I haven't removed the crossbars to see if there is a difference without them.

Last edited:
Back