How are the stock tires?

jtstott

:
No zoom zoom yet
Hi There,
I'm considering a 2016 GT.
What is everybody opinion of the stock toyos in snowy weather?
I'm currently in a Honda Element on Goodyear Triple Treads which has been an awesome tire for me, especially in the harsh New England winters. They unfortunately don't have a size big enough for the CX-5 GT.

Those of you in snowy areas what tires have you swapped out the toyos (or whatever your stock tire is) for?

Hi There,
I'm considering a 2016 GT.
What is everybody opinion of the stock toyos in snowy weather?
I'm currently in a Honda Element on Goodyear Triple Treads which has been an awesome tire for me, especially in the harsh New England winters. They unfortunately don't have a size big enough for the CX-5 GT.

Those of you in snowy areas what tires have you swapped out the toyos (or whatever your stock tire is) for?

Came from an Element with 17" stock tires, have the GT with the 19" Toyo's and love it. Can't comment on the winter as of yet, bought it only a month ago so haven't hit any. I personally love the ride, I feel they are smooth and quiet, and absolutely love the look of the 19's.

I'm sure others will chime in on their 17" snow tire swaps

Last edited:
I swapped out my 19"s for winter, so I can't comment on how they handle in inclement weather.

Having said that, I bought a cheap set of 17" black steel wheels and slapped on some General Altimax Arctic tires. I also had them studded (lots of black ice in my neck of the woods). They handled everything a Maine winter could throw at them like a champ. Coupled with the predictive AWD system it made for a nice and reassuring ride.

A lot of other members on this site also like Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tires.

Mine went through its first winter with the stock Yoko Geolandar on 17", no problem climbing hill, no slipping/sliding yet. There was one day where the snow was still falling, 7-8 cars got stuck on an uphill road and the CX-5 AWD was able to zig-zag through just fine, couldn't even feel it trying. I even went out of my way and tried all the trickiest neighborhoods I can find with steep hill on thick snow, I don't think I will need winter tires yet, stopping power is still good. However, I've gone through Minnesota winter for 10+ years on FWD Honda with just all-season tires, so, experience could have contributed.

It even climbed snow hill better than my wife's FWD Accord on snow tires, but stopping on ice is definitely worse. I almost slid off my drive way into incoming traffic, while the Accord with the X-Ice3 didn't even move a bit on the same ice patch.

Last edited:
I live in Minnesota and I have the stock GT 19" Toyo A23's on my 2014 GT. In snow? Two words: "Totally Suck!" Great summer tires with wonderful grip and a pleasure to push hard around corners. But, as soon as the snow starts falling, they loose ALL grip. I bought a set of OEM 17" wheels on Ebay and Blizzak DM-V1 snow tires from Tire Rack right after I slid through an intersection during the first snowfall that I owned the vehicle. Now it's like driving a snowmobile in winter. Great traction and stopping power. I can't emphasize enough the difference. If you can't afford or don't have a place to store a second set of tires, then I would by all means get some other tires on there before the winter.

I think the stock tires are as good as any all season tire for winter use. That is no good at all. Some people try it. I figure I have $30,000 and some people sitting on those tires. It isn't worth the risk. Buy some used Mazda wheels, put on a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R tires and your only worry is that you will stop so fast the guy behind you will slide into you. Over the life of the car, the only extra expense is the wheels. When your winter tires are wearing out your summer tires aren't

Frank

I got a set of Michelin xice 3 for the winter. Very happy with them. So I don't know how the toyos do in the winter, but probably just ok.

I got a set of Michelin xice 3 for the winter. Very happy with them. So I don't know how the toyos do in the winter, but probably just ok.

Is that X-Ice3 newly available for 225/65/R17? My wife's Accord got the XI3 in 215/55/R17, but only the Latitude XI2 was available for CX-5. Did you go down to 16" or 225/60?

Last edited:
Is that X-Ice3 newly available for 225/65/R17? My wife's Accord got the XI3 in 215/55/R17, but only the Latitude XI2 was available for CX-5. Did you go down to 16" or 225/60?

I went with 215/65/17. Has the same load rating as the stock tires. Technically with this size at 60mph the car is actually traveling about 58.5 mph. The reviews for the xice3 led me to believe it was worth it over the 2.

When I got my winters in the fall of '12, I went down to a 16" rim to allow the X-Ice. I find it a superior winter tyre.

Brian

I went with LX20's. Anyone else drive them in snow/ice? I have not, yet. This winter was unusually mild.

Last edited:
Back