Cargo Cover making noise?

Scythe024

:
'16 CX-5 GT
So I was driving with my parents in the CX-5 today. Rarely have anyone in the back seat and never noticed noise, but today I did have poeople in the back. My mom commented asking what that noise was? I asked her to explain it and she said it sounds like when your making popcorn lol. My dad looked in the back and saw the cargo cover bouncing (while latched to the rear window) saying that was what was making noise. I slowly started to hear it as i tried to focus on it. Does anyone elses make noise?

Not ours.
Might a rear window been down causing buffeting?
Only other thing can think of is check that the spring loaded housing ends have a snug fit.
I scored a discounted factory one due to shipping damage and the end tension springs would stick when compressed.

My dad looked in the back and saw the cargo cover bouncing (while latched to the rear window) saying that was what was making noise.
Does anyone elses make noise?

Not ours.
Might a rear window been down causing buffeting?
Only other thing can think of is check that the spring loaded housing ends have a snug fit.
I scored a discounted factory one due to shipping damage and the end tension springs would stick when compressed.

windows were up and A/C on, but on low. I'll check the tension later.

CC is fine but I get vibration noises from both pillars (they become separated and I have to push them back on) and something in my center dash behind the radio keeps rattling...I also had to shim out my floor console, wedged a rag in between the passenger seat and console to stop rattling...Sigh

Interior rattles are so much fun to track down and fix.

I would guess against the cargo cover causing it though

The way that the base is tightly spring loaded, and the clips on the tailgate have anti-rattle feature, I do not think that might be the problem.

My first steps when looking for the rattles in the rear interior is to:

Verify all the things in the cargo area like the jack, spare tire, lug wrench are all stowed properly and tightly.
Inspect the rear spoiler and license plate for rattles by lightly pounding a palm or fist against the rear window glass.
Next I would lubricate all of the door seal gaskets with rubber treatment.
Have someone else drive while you are in the back.

The spare tire jack in mine slowly unscrews itself over time and this can cause a metallic rattle. Solution is to tighten it.

CC is fine but I get vibration noises from both pillars (they become separated and I have to push them back on) and something in my center dash behind the radio keeps rattling...I also had to shim out my floor console, wedged a rag in between the passenger seat and console to stop rattling...Sigh

What pillars are you referring to?

@mazdadude

Agree that interior rattles can be a nightmare to track down. In the CX-5's defense, it is one of the better cars I have owned. I have fixed a couple of minor ones around the glovebox and seat but the the most irritating one is the rattle from the speaker area where the dash meets the windscreen when the temperature is cold outside.

Perhaps we should start a "How-to-fix-rattles" thread?

@OP

I have my doubts about the cargo cover causing this. On my Dad's CX-5, the release cable from the lever that folds the rear seats was rattling off the inside of the plastic trim on the left side of the cargo area. You can check this by giving the trim a gentle "thump" and listen if the cable bounces back. I took the trim off and zip-tied the cable out of the way, problem solved. Just another possibility FWIW ...

@mazdadude

Agree that interior rattles can be a nightmare to track down. In the CX-5's defense, it is one of the better cars I have owned. I have fixed a couple of minor ones around the glovebox and seat but the the most irritating one is the rattle from the speaker area where the dash meets the windscreen when the temperature is cold outside.

Perhaps we should start a "How-to-fix-rattles" thread?

(2thumbs)

The left and right front pillars..

At the risk of being off-topic, that’s not good! The trim on the front pillar is secured with a strong metal clip half way up and a plastic tether clip at the top. The tether is to prevent the trim flying off into the cabin and injuring someone if the airbag behind is activated. Sounds to me like your trim has missing/damaged clips and is only held in place by the rubber door seal that overlaps the edge of the trim, hence why they become separated and you can push them back on? You can see this the link below:

http://m.mazda.oemdtc.com/Uploads/3177b.JPG

Back