2016 cx5 awd 2.5 touring - city driving

:
2016 CX5 - 2002 P5
I have 7800 miles on my cx5 and it has been flawless in Chicago commute of 26 miles rt on freeway and city traffic, and first (mild) winter. One feature I have been enjoying is the aggressive downshifting in stop and go traffic. I find that a lot of times I don't need to apply the brakes until quite late into the stop. If I leave enough room between the car in front of me a lot of times I can coast and let the auto trans downshift handle most of the breaking. I was wondering if anyone here could weigh in and let me know if that is ok for the general wellbeing of the car.

P.S.
One oil change at 5K using mazda oil and filter from med center, no other maintenance so far.
Thinking about tire rotation in the next few hundred miles.

Don't you think the downshifting sometime is too aggressive? It is like someone hit you from behind, I can feel it when engine is cold and when I approach to the stop sign at 20-25 mile per hour.

Don't you think the downshifting sometime is too aggressive? It is like someone hit you from behind, I can feel it when engine is cold and when I approach to the stop sign at 20-25 mile per hour.

I certainly felt the jerk when coasting down (as I've mentioned when I first started driving the CX-5). The strange thing is, I don't know if it's smoother now (car broken-in?) or if I got used to it, but I totally forgot about it until I read your mentioning.

Discussion/explanation from the Mazda6 forum (seems to indicate it as a technique to save fuel):
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/.../46377-notable-engine-breaking-automatic.html
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ion-while-coasting-noticeable-downshifts.html

Thanks for the replies, I don't notice the downshift being jarring but I am glad to know others are downshifting.

I have 7800 miles on my cx5 and it has been flawless in Chicago commute of 26 miles rt on freeway and city traffic, and first (mild) winter. One feature I have been enjoying is the aggressive downshifting in stop and go traffic. I find that a lot of times I don't need to apply the brakes until quite late into the stop. If I leave enough room between the car in front of me a lot of times I can coast and let the auto trans downshift handle most of the breaking. I was wondering if anyone here could weigh in and let me know if that is ok for the general wellbeing of the car.
P.S.
One oil change at 5K using mazda oil and filter from med center, no other maintenance so far.
Thinking about tire rotation in the next few hundred miles.
My wife as the daily driver mentioned at first that she felt our CX-5 has no engine brake like her previous Honda CR-V. I tried and felt the engine brake is indeed very weak, and there's NO downshifting before I apply the brake to stop at very low speed. I believe the lack of engine brake is due to SkyActiv Atkinson cycle engine. I'm not sure about no downshifting which is opposite to your experience.

BTW, why don't you use flexible oil change interval via maintenance monitor to maximize the oil life and keep your factory warranty? Using a fixed 5,000-mile OCI seems wasting money and creating more oil waste as flexible OCI can be up to 10,000 miles or 12 months.

Back