Compass Options?

seanof30306

:
Looking to buy a 2016 CX-5
OK, I'm a newb, this is my first post here.

I've been driving my 1996 Jeep Cherokee for 19 1/2 years, and it's about worn out. It's time for a new ride.

I've done a ton of research, and have arrived at the decision that I want a CX-5.

I went and drove one today, and was really impressed. It lived up to all of it's rave reviews.

I gotta have one!

There are a few things I need to figure out before I can buy, though. The first is the compass.

This will sound silly, but I have to have one. My Jeep Cherokee has an overhead console with a temperature display and a compass. I've been looking at them every day for nearly 19 years. I didn't understand how addicted I've become to the temp display and the compass till the ones on my Jeep died about 9 months ago. The module was over 500 bucks, so I haven't fixed it, and I REALLY miss it; especially the compass.

One of my frustrations with the CX-5 is, in order to get the adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning features I really want, I can't get the mirror with the compass.

In my searching on here, I've seen this is a common complaint, and a lot of people resolve it by retrofitting the mirror with the compass in it. The problem with that solution is, another thing I've become addicted to is the wide-angle rearview mirror I've been using for the last 10 years, or so. It goes over the factory mirror, so it would obscure the compass display.

Is there a better solution that sticking one of those 7.99 amazon.com specials on the dash?

I've been searching, and I found this: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ct_id=952/category_id=-1/mode=prod/prd952.htm

That's actually a gauge for Harley Davidsons. I'm going to call them on Monday and get the dimensions for the gauge, and see if they think it could be adapted.

Has anyone found a different solution?

We've learned there is no such thing that a perfect vehicle meeting our every requirement. I had similar dilemma that several features we really wanted are not available on CX-5, such as memory seat, rear AC vents, dead pedal cover, glove compartment light and believe it or not, a compass in the rearview mirror. But your dilemma is easy to fix, either getting a Mazda mirror with compass for more authentic look, or sticking one of those $7.99 Amazon.com specials on the dash (actually not on the dash as those suction cup would create a permanent mark, only sticking it to the windshield). I'd go for the latter option as not only it's cheap but also you have one more temperature readout from cabin which is quite different from the outside ambient temperature in the gauge cluster. You'll also find out later that the ambient temperature readout on CX-5 sucks as the temperature sensor is mounted right in front of hot AC condenser/radiator!

I remember someone mentioned you can use navigation system to display compass function. But I've never tried it and you've to dig out those old posts or someone else may chime in later.

One more caution, I'd not add any more weight to inside auto-dimming rearview mirror as you seem to prefer adding a wide-angle rearview mirror. The reason is, from my observation when I was tightening the torx screw for a loose rearview mirror, the metal plate glued to the windshield where the rearview mirror holds on to it, is simply too small. This causes too much stress to the windshield in that small area and could be a culprit for those windshield stress cracks in the sensor area as too many CX-5 owners have found out.

Anyway, those issues are minor for a car purchasing. You may be able to get used to those after a while like I did. :)

I've been driving my 1996 Jeep Cherokee for 19 1/2 years, and it's about worn out. It's time for a new ride.

I've done a ton of research, and have arrived at the decision that I want a CX-5.

I went and drove one today, and was really impressed. It lived up to all of it's rave reviews.

I gotta have one!

There are a few things I need to figure out before I can buy, though. The first is the compass.

This will sound silly, but I have to have one. My Jeep Cherokee has an overhead console with a temperature display and a compass. I've been looking at them every day for nearly 19 years. I didn't understand how addicted I've become to the temp display and the compass till the ones on my Jeep died about 9 months ago. The module was over 500 bucks, so I haven't fixed it, and I REALLY miss it; especially the compass.

One of my frustrations with the CX-5 is, in order to get the adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning features I really want, I can't get the mirror with the compass.

In my searching on here, I've seen this is a common complaint, and a lot of people resolve it by retrofitting the mirror with the compass in it. The problem with that solution is, another thing I've become addicted to is the wide-angle rearview mirror I've been using for the last 10 years, or so. It goes over the factory mirror, so it would obscure the compass display.

Is there a better solution that sticking one of those 7.99 amazon.com specials on the dash?

I've been searching, and I found this: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ct_id=952/category_id=-1/mode=prod/prd952.htm

That's actually a gauge for Harley Davidsons. I'm going to call them on Monday and get the dimensions for the gauge, and see if they think it could be adapted.

Has anyone found a different solution?

I have a CX-5 Touring, the compass is in the Nav screen. I don't have Nav (don't need it) and the compass comes right up when I select Nav. I assume if I added the Nav card the compass would still come up. Not sure, maybe somebody that has Nav can chime it.

Outside temp is displayed constantly on the dash cluster.

I have a CX-5 Touring, the compass is in the Nav screen. I don't have Nav (don't need it) and the compass comes right up when I select Nav. I assume if I added the Nav card the compass would still come up. Not sure, maybe somebody that has Nav can chime it.

On the 2016 and up, once the NAV card is installed, the Compass goes away. You have to manually eject the Nav card if you want the compass on the screen.

I read that about the compass, but when I went to the dealer and took the Nav card out, it didn't work

I am not sure you can do it while the vehicle is on... I think it has to be done before bootup?

I had a compass I installed in an older Mustang and liked it, before GPS. The Dakota Digital unit is very cool, but at $279, you can get all of that information, plus navigation and an ACCURATE database of restaurants, gas stations, etc from a Garmin (head and shoulders above the POS TomTom that came in my CX-5).

I have replaced my basic mirror, with one of the aftermarket auto-dimming ones, that has compass and Homelink. I have just transferred, from one car to the other. I believe, it is Gentex(the brand).

Last edited:
Doesn't work in mine either, even if I remove the chip before start up .

Might be because you have the older infotainment system. Removing the card to get the compass may only work for the 2016 and up models with the new infotainment systems

Just modify the Nav settings to point always to North and it acts as the compass. Takes a slight getting used to, about 3 hrs of city driving and then you won't even realize the difference.

I have replaced my basic mirror, with one of the aftermarket auto-dimming ones, that has compass and Homelink. I have just transferred, from one car to the other. I believe, it is Gentex(the brand).

I did the same. I got the mirror (Gentex) from the junk yard. It came from a Nissan. I got the wire harness from an internet search and ordered it. There are instructions on how to do this available on the internet.

Back