2016 Sport (manual) - Miata shift knob fits, but need to get under the boot

jtallon

:
Mazda3 5-door
I bought a new shift knob for my 2011 Miata, and on a whim I tried the old Miata shift knob on my 2016 MX-5 Sport, and it fits. It's about double the weight and about a half inch lower - I love the feel. The only bummer is that there is a gap between the bottom of the shift knob and the shift boot. I can fix it if I can get under the boot, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the shift boot off on the 2016 model. I saw some others ask the same question here without much success in finding an answer. I managed to pull up on the whole front of the console - the coin tray (under the USB port) all the way back to behind the shifter lifts up off of clips, but then I couldn't figure out how to loosen the back part.

If I can figure that part out, I'll address the gap in the boot and probably replace the shift boot with a leather one at the same time. If anybody knows how to get that darn boot off though, please let me know. Thanks!

Im having the ame issue on my cx5 6mt. i have the gap. the knob came with something to screw on under the boot to keep it from dropping and showing the gap but i cant figure out how to remove the boot in my 2016 cx5

I found this in the service manual

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 6.09.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 6.09.44 PM.png
    41 KB · Views: 183
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 6.10.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 6.10.04 PM.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Back