Long Term Storage 6 Months

ctbale

Contributor
:
2022 CX9 Tourin
Need to say goodbye to my awesome CX-5 for six months. Two weeks old and 500 miles. Back to Alaska for the summer so she will be parked inside for 186 days. I do this all the time and my procedure is, oil change, top off the fuel and tire pressure and un-hook the negative battery cable, thats it! I dont mess with fuel stabilizer unless I hit the 9 month mark. I dont fog a motor unless way over a year. my 89 b2200 is still going strong, and no oil consumption, its up north. I have never had this sophisticated of a car before so I guess I better check my owners manual huh? Any advise welcome! Will my FOBs even talk to my car after that long? lol

Last edited:
Will my FOBs even talk to my car after that long? lol

If you're talking about the key fob, I don't think it consumes much power in sleep mode. But, it takes only 30-60 seconds to pop the case open, then you can shim a piece of paper beneath the battery to disconnect it from the circuit while still keeping it in there. Just need to remember to remove the piece of paper 6 months later :)

Depending on where the inside storage is, I would put some rodent protection under the hood Something as simple as dryer fabric softer sheets works well. I store a camper and a antique engine every winter and I stored a truck for 10 mts. around here protection against mice is a must.

Depending on where the inside storage is, I would put some rodent protection under the hood Something as simple as dryer fabric softer sheets works well. I store a camper and a antique engine every winter and I stored a truck for 10 mts. around here protection against mice is a must.

+1,000,000!!!

Not just under the hood, make sure you don't leave any food inside. My daughter left a bag of m&m in my '99 Civic, a mouse got attracted, chewed through the seat from the bottom of the car to get to it, then, managed to stash all those m&m in the front passenger vent. All of that happened at nights, and I drove the car everyday. On winter days, my car now smells like a portable m&m factory whenever I turn on the heat.

glad I posted this!! never thought about insulating the fob battery, good idea. and I forgot about using bounce, used to do that with my snowmobiles in storage, worked great!!! thanks guys!!

ps: I love M&Ms !

I've seen some cars that were left unattended and rats and squirrels started nesting in the HVAC ducts.

+1,000,000!!!

Not just under the hood, make sure you don't leave any food inside. My daughter left a bag of m&m in my '99 Civic, a mouse got attracted, chewed through the seat from the bottom of the car to get to it, then, managed to stash all those m&m in the front passenger vent. All of that happened at nights, and I drove the car everyday. On winter days, my car now smells like a portable m&m factory whenever I turn on the heat.

What a wonderful smell.

What kind of mods do you have on that b2200? Pic for attention (excuse the wheels).

ec9ae515127c8c2324ffb0383b62a59a.jpg

Some great ideas on here!

If it were me, and I knew it was going to be over 90 days of storage, I would still use some fuel stabilizer...

Latest posts

Back