Mark on dash from cell phone suction mount

TerriLee

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hello All,

I've googled this up and down and can't find any resolution. I'm hoping someone here has some ideas. I bought a cell phone suction mount for the dash and used it for the first time tonight. While it worked great, when I removed it a round circle was left on my dash that I cannot remove. It is not sticky and it is not an indentation. I literally only used it for about 2 hours before removing it. So far this is what I've tried: Alcohol, Simple Green, WD-40. None of these worked and I'm afraid to try anything else as I don't want to damage the dash. God I wish I would have known about this... I would have never used it. Alot of people use these things and I've never heard this before. Has anyone experienced this and were you able to remove it? Some posts I've read says it goes away with time.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Suction Mount Mark on Dash.pdf
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,055
I've seen people here post the same thing, no one's really said a fool-proof method to remove it.
I too have this mark from a mount that I haven't used for years.

I think it comes down to the materials. From my understand in how I have had to work with Honda/Nissan dashes is I think they the material is a sculpted foam rubber. Has where the circle is lost its "texture pattern"?

At least it didnt rip off the skin.
71PbwTb-sML._SL256_.jpg

Happens to most cars that use those suction dash mounts... I noticed it and took it off but still have the donut mark on the dash, not too visible though. I ended up buying a CD mount instead or using windshield mount if needed.

I was able to mount it on the center speaker grill without any issue. Doesn't leave a mark and keeps me from touching the phone since it's far away.

Two thoughts on this. First try some interior protectant, something like meguiars Natural interior protectant or Aerospace 303 protectant. It could be that the suction has pull any protection from the surface and left it dry, sort of like dry skin. The conditioners in the protectant might help reduce the appearance. Using solvents is not recommended on the dash and may have done more harm then good, it could just be drying it out even more. Maybe even use some leather conditioner but I would test that in a less noticeable area first.

My other thought is try some heat from a hair dryer. It could be that the little bit of cushioning in the dash material became deformed and that the heat will help to soften and re-shape the mark left by the suction device. I would heat, rub with a microfiber, heat, rub, heat rub and see if that does any good.

If none of that works or you want other ideas try getting onto a detailing forum such as autogeek.com and autopia.org and see if any of the more experienced detailers out there have a solution for you.

Best of luck!

That picture worries me. I hope these dashes do not turn into untouchable goo or then rubber after a few years like they do in Nissans. My S10 dash may be faded but the material is still solid.

I also became a victim of this, so upset, my holder fell off the dash and left one of these marks,

any solution at all ?

I searched and also found most forums say to leave it alone and let the sun and heat slowly remove the indent on it's own.....

no protectant will help with the indent, the texture of the soft touch plastic was compressed beyond it's yield limit and flattened, trying to fix it with WD-40, alcohol, etc will be ineffective and just make it worse, for now just have to leave it alone and eventually it should just return to its original form with time if you didn;t use the mount that long.....

I found online that some people had the indent just after a few minutes, you be amazed how much force is applied with those damn sunctions.. especially the ones with the screw dial....

close to 97 lbs pounds!!! of pressure was applied to that small area on your dash (assuming a 3" diameter suction cup)

no wonder the plastic dash is flattened (the molded plastic "fake" grain texture/veins was flattened and most likely cannot be fixed to it's original molding texture and the center untouched area where the sunction didn't touch was vacuum pulling up the dash

standard atmospheric pressure (1 atm = 29.92 inHg)

their should be a warning label about this, most owners would never even think this would damaged the dash,

and I'll be honest, I would have never known about this until you posted this ..... sucks.....

just have to hope for the best and it "fixes" itself or just put the mount back at the same spot and use the mount as-is.....

sorry, there's just no quick fix for this....

Last edited:
I've been waiting two years on my 2016. It's gotten better over time, but it's still there. I had it installed 15 minutes to test the phone mount , I want to strangle the people at iOttie. <sad panda>

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been waiting two years on my 2016. It's gotten better over time, but it's still there. I had it installed 15 minutes to test the phone mount , I want to strangle the people at iOttie. <sad panda>

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

holy mackerel, how is there not a big warning on the box not to mount on the dash, tons of pictures from customers on Amazon about the problem....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Latest posts

Back