For those who don't like the piano black on the grille of 2013-2015 CX-5

:
23 CX-5 Premium
Swore I would never resort to Plastidip, but I finally found a use for it that suited my needs. If you're the owner of a 2013-15 CX-5 with the piano black panel at the top of the grille, you may feel like I do that it visually chops up the look of the front end and just doesn't seem to belong. I investigated changing mine over to the new style grill, but decided that I wasn't crazy about that design either (wish they had gone to a current-generation Mazda 3 style grille!). Anyway, this afternoon I bought a can of black Plastidip, carefully masked off the piano black portion of the grill and laid on four coats. Viola! To my eye, the front end now looks much more of a whole because the Plastidip paint perfectly matches all the rest of the black plastic on the car. Cost me like $10 for paint and materials and only took a couple of hours. The result is well worth that!

Attachments

• grille1.JPG
    grille1.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 894
  • grille2.JPG
    grille2.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 407
I did the exact same thing, and I dipped the hood deflector too.

attachment.php
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Swore I would never resort to Plastidip, but I finally found a use for it that suited my needs. If you're the owner of a 2013-15 CX-5 with the piano black panel at the top of the grille, you may feel like I do that it visually chops up the look of the front end and just doesn't seem to belong. I investigated changing mine over to the new style grill, but decided that I wasn't crazy about that design either (wish they had gone to a current-generation Mazda 3 style grille!). Anyway, this afternoon I bought a can of black Plastidip, carefully masked off the piano black portion of the grill and laid on four coats. Viola! To my eye, the front end now looks much more of a whole because the Plastidip paint perfectly matches all the rest of the black plastic on the car. Cost me like $10 for paint and materials and only took a couple of hours. The result is well worth that!

attachment.php

Looks great! No idea what Mazda was thinking with the Piano Black Plastic on the Dash and front grill?

Why were you so against plasti-dip in the first place? I love working with it. It's cheap, looks good, fairly durable, and easily to apply

Why were you so against plasti-dip in the first place? I love working with it. It's cheap, looks good, fairly durable, and easily to apply
It's overused and often as a cheap/inferior substitute where powder coating or paint would be a more appropriate and durable coating, such as wheels and roof racks. Plus, I'm not a fan of the whole "black-out" thing.

Back