Out of State Purchase of CX-5

:
Mazda CX 5 Touring
We live in Washington state, and want to purchase a 2016.5 CX-5 in California. While visiting there for a few months our other car (04 BMW) became a maintenance nuisance so decided to get rid of it, and Mazda dealer has offered a fair trade on a CX-5 optioned perfectly. But the Mazda dealer advises that he needs a California address and Ca driver's license to process a sale. This seems ridiculous to me. It sounds to me like it could be a Mazda thing that protects their dealers in each state. Would appreciate any opinions, experience, or knowledge folks may have on this.

I don't know about California, but I'm buying one out of state with no hiccups on anything, and it's not the first I've bought out of state. All I did was pay my local sales tax and title and tag fee, and that's it. That actually saves me over an extra $1k, also...good luck and enjoy your new ride when you get it...

Find a different dealer. I live in alaska, and last week I purchased a cx5 from a oregon dealer in portland. I paid cash, and they handed me the car, the keys and the MSO. I will take the MSO and a one page form and walk into the Alaska DMV and walk out with my title and registration, done deal!! I purchased a new ford 3 years ago from a dealer in seattle and they weren't so ez. They would only fedex the MSO to my address on my drivers license. The Oregon mazda dealer said if the CX5 has a lien on it, then they would have had to send the MSO to the Alaska DMV directly. On all these transactions, the sales person was clueless. Go talk to the manager in the "business office" If you pay cash dont leave the building without the MSO. As far as titling the car in CA, just tell them its an out of state sale. In oregon for example YOU CAN NOT TITLE A CAR IN THAT STATE UNLESS YOU ARE A RESIDENT OF OREGON. per the Oregon dmv web site. Maybe look on the CA DMV web site, it might say the same thing, so maybe they could not leagally sell you the car titled in CA anyway. Is this a NEW or USED? is it cash/trade or finance/trade? If you can go to Ron Tonkin Mazda on portland and talk to stephanie, she knows what she is doing, or just buy the car from Ron Tonkin. California is kind of a screwed up state anyway

PS: California has no "standing" to charge you sales tax if your a WA state resident and title it in WA state, but you will pay WA state your 9.8% sales tax at the DMV when you title it. Your obligated to pay sales tax to where you title it Do you have a WA state drivers license?

let us know how it works out so it helps others on these forums

Last edited:
why not buy car from no sale tax states, I brought my car in california because I live here. I don't know about out state purchase, but I paid about 2k for tax and fees.
t

why not buy car from no sale tax states, I brought my car in california because I live here. I don't know about out state purchase, but I paid about 2k for tax and fees.
t

+1
Sales tax on a car is a lot of $. As a resident, I must pay it even for out of state vehicle, AFAIK.

t

You have to pay taxes in the state that you reside in. For me, I don't mind as the max tax here is $300.

It doesn't matter if you buy your vehicle in a non-sales tax state. You pay the sales tax for the state in which it will be registered.

My GF bought her CRV in Mass because they offered her by far the best price. Only minor nuisance was the registration process because of Mass laws. Mass also doesn't allow temp plates whereas Maine does.

Last edited:
It's California, A guy I work with bought a Jeep down there and he couldn't take delivery of it in state. They actually drove all the way to Nevada and was then given the keys to drive it home.

Find a different dealer.

Right on! We contacted another nearby dealer and they had no problem selling us a car. They matched the first dealer's price too. We're actually going to register it in California so it can be driven there for the next few months before driving it back to Wa and registering it there.

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.

Right on! We contacted another nearby dealer and they had no problem selling us a car. They matched the first dealer's price too. We're actually going to register it in California so it can be driven there for the next few months before driving it back to Wa and registering it there.

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.

Do you live in Blaine?

Great Job .... I really have no love lost for Car Dealerships, I worked for one back in the 80s and what I saw and heard on what they think of customers changed me forever, they are one notch above criminals ..... yes I do mean ALL Dealerships. maybe its just sales people ....

Last edited:
Great Job .... I really have no love lost for Car Dealerships, I worked for one back in the 80s and what I saw and heard on what they think of customers changed me forever, they are one notch above criminals ..... yes I do mean ALL Dealerships.

Some dealerships are criminal.
Some dealerships are incompetent.
Some dealerships provide excellent service at a fair (but generally not cheap) price.

This has been true of every brand of dealership I've dealt with since I bought my first car (5 brands I can think of).

I bought my '07 G35x out of Fairfield Infiniti dealership in Bay area and had it trucked up to WA back in '07. The reason being... at that time... dealers weren't coming off MSRP. Dealer down there gave me a custom order at invoice... I did have to pay a $600 or so trucking charge but also saved almost 2% on sales tax as local dealer at the time was that much higher than my local sales tax rate. It was then taxed at my local city level versus the dealership in Kirkland, WA which at that time had the highest sales tax rate in the state.

We live in Washington state, and want to purchase a 2016.5 CX-5 in California. While visiting there for a few months our other car (04 BMW) became a maintenance nuisance so decided to get rid of it, and Mazda dealer has offered a fair trade on a CX-5 optioned perfectly. But the Mazda dealer advises that he needs a California address and Ca driver's license to process a sale. This seems ridiculous to me. It sounds to me like it could be a Mazda thing that protects their dealers in each state. Would appreciate any opinions, experience, or knowledge folks may have on this.

Could it have something to do with emissions? When I was looking for my '16 CX5, I was originally looking for FWD instead of AWD (hard to find). I found one in Virginia - but the guy told me it wouldn't meet emissions requirements for Maryland. I ended up just getting AWD because it was almost impossible at the time to find one in Maryland with FWD.

I was going to fly down and drive my Infiniti back but wanted to spend a few days in area. IIRC...if I wasn't out of state in 24 hours I would have needed to license vehicle in CA and then re-register in WA state. Didn't want the hassle so just went with the trucking option. I'd move onto another dealer unless this process has changed in the last 9 years in regards to purchasing vehicle in CA for WA state.

Back