Mobil 1 oil

:
2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package
Took my CX-5 to the dealership for oil change and noticed they use Mobil 1 0w-20 oil instead of Mazda Moly or Castrol recommended in the manual.

Called up couple of other dealerships in the area and everyone's using the same Mobile oil.

Is this oil any better or worse than the recommended brands?

No, but it does mean the deal the local Mobil Oil distributor is giving dealers in your area is better than he can get from either Mazda or Castrol.

I don't like Mobil 1, I use royal purple or castol ow-20. I do my oil myself unless I need tire rotation then I will get a coupon from Mazda and have my dealership do it. Rotate tires are too much work if you don't have jack to lift up your car.

How do you get a coupon from Mazda for tire rotation? My dealership charges $75 for oil change (Mobil 1) and tire rotation

I like Mobil 1 and have used it in everything, but the lawnmower since the mid-80s. back then the early EFI systems didn't have good Idle control and so changing to M1 would raise the idle RPM, even when switching to a thicker viscosity. Pretty quick proof of reduced friction. It's the factory fill for several expensive cars and motorcycles. And, it's readily available, it you need some on the road.

I put Mobil 1 in my Cadillac currently but that is what it requested from the factory. I have heard that GTX is good as well (given it was designed for high revving motorcycles is my understanding). I have used Penzoil for my S10 since I got her because I asked the head service tech from the dealership I bought her from and they said they all use Penzoil. It has yet to let me down and my motor still runs fine.

How do you get a coupon from Mazda for tire rotation? My dealership charges $75 for oil change (Mobil 1) and tire rotation

Check your local dealer's website. Sometimes they have coupons on there. Just remember to let them give you the price first, and then show them the coupon. My dealer has coupons for parts every now and then. Oil filters for $6.49, can't beat that.

I switch between Mobile 1 and Mazda Moly. No noticeable difference with my vehicle . Next OC will be Pennzoil Platinum, my old favorite. What matters is the oil meets manufacturer requirements.

I switch between Mobile 1 and Mazda Moly. No noticeable difference with my vehicle . Next OC will be Pennzoil Platinum, my old favorite. What matters is the oil meets manufacturer requirements.

As soon as I hit 7,500mi I am going to use Mobil 1 0W20 AFE with some added MoS2 (molybdenum) from LiquiMoly. I will do an oil analysis for the first couple of oil changes to see if it helps or harms the engine. Stay tuned.

you google Mazda service coupon and jump to mazda site and find your dealership and go service coupon on the top left section. then you will see a winter or spring maintenance package witch include oil change, inspection, tire rotation, top all fluids. I think it is cost you about 58 dollars or 80 for better oil or something. I only did this once because after all that I find that it is still too expensive. My tire shop rotate tires and patch tires for free, but I doubt they will torque your nuts.

EXAMPLE:

Winter Service Special

Standard Oil
Special Price: $59.95
Full Synthetic
Special Price: $79.95
Replace engine oil and Genuine Mazda oil filterRotate and inspect tires, check brake wearCheck engine coolantCheck cooling system for leaksCheck and top off all fluid levelsCheck belts and hosesCheck and adjust tire pressureCheck exhaust systemCheck Constant Velocity (CV) boots
Plus applicable taxes. Valid only at COLE MAZDA. Cannot be used with any other applicable offer. Mazda vehicles only. Some vehicles may be slightly higher. Hazardous waste fee if applicable. No cash value. Please present coupon at time of write-up. Coupon expires 03/31/2016.

My LS1 car hated Mobil 1, my LS7 car loved it. It's a decent oil. That said, I use Mazda Moly simply because that's what Mazda spec'ed for the motor. Not because I think it's better, etc. but because I tend to follow directions when it comes to things like that, even if I think NOT following them wouldn't hurt.

I use walmart brand oil. and I only change it every 30,000 miles, and I never change the filter. and I never let the engine warm up before I floor it.

Took my CX-5 to the dealership for oil change and noticed they use Mobil 1 0w-20 oil instead of Mazda Moly or Castrol recommended in the manual.

Called up couple of other dealerships in the area and everyone's using the same Mobile oil.

Is this oil any better or worse than the recommended brands?
You definitely have to ask or insist to get Mazda moly oil for oil change even at Mazda dealers. Most Mazda dealers carry Mazda moly oil at their parts department. You can check with parts to make sure they have those in stock or they can always order those moly oil for you. My dealer in Dallas / Richardson charges $50 for oil change with "Preferred Choice" oil (at least it's not WalMart brand oil ;)) and only $10 more with Mazda moly.

Besides, you actually can save money by insisting the moly oil as now you can switch your OCI under flexible maintenance which can go up to 12 months or 10,000 miles without impact your new car or powertrain warranty!

Town%2BNorth%2BMazda%2BOil-01_20151215.jpg

I use walmart brand oil. and I only change it every 30,000 miles, and I never change the filter. and I never let the engine warm up before I floor it.

Yeah, funny. My brother-in-law has you beat, though. Bought a brand new 1997 Ford F150 and didn't do his first oil change until well over 100,00 miles...literally. Thing always ran decent and he got rid of it last year with well over 300k on the clock. Needless to say he bought another one.

Wasn't there a German version (available in US..but now not sold or hard to find) of Mobile 1 that used to be better than current version sold in US? I thought I remember a debate on that years ago somewhere.

EDIT: Actually I think it was Castrol Syntec I was thinking about and not Mobile 1.

Last edited:

I have always used the Mazda moly so can't state I saw any difference... I've either wasted some extra money years down the road or mine will have less wear than others over 100K miles.

That reminds me.. I need to send my sample off to Blackstone on Monday.

I have always used the Mazda moly so can't state I saw any difference... I've either wasted some extra money years down the road or mine will have less wear than others over 100K miles.

That reminds me.. I need to send my sample off to Blackstone on Monday.
Look forward to seeing those results. The only reason I don't use the Moly more often is I tend to buy it by the case from my Mazda dealer who sells it for a good price, but he's 35 miles away and Walmart is 3 miles away, plus the Pennzoil goes for $24 for a 5 quart jug. Still a diehard Mazda filter user, though.

Yeah, funny. My brother-in-law has you beat, though. Bought a brand new 1997 Ford F150 and didn't do his first oil change until well over 100,00 miles...literally. Thing always ran decent and he got rid of it last year with well over 300k on the clock. Needless to say he bought another one.

ha. yea I have seen bad bad prev maint practices in my time, and 100k is pretty bad. our engines are lucky cuz we care! RE Moly: Doesn't every oil that has energy conserving on the oil doughnut on the back label have moly. basically all 10w-30 and below both dino and syn. read that somewhere long time ago, maybe bob the oil guys? dunno.. if you look at all the oils at the store all 10w-30 and below have EC on the back

RE Moly: Doesn't every oil that has energy conserving on the oil doughnut on the back label have moly.

No. The Energy Conserving rating does not require moly. It's more of a viscosity thing (and there are friction modifiers other than moly).

What makes the Mazda 0W-20 w/moly stand out from the crowd is not that it has moly (a lot of oils do), it's the amount of moly it contains (moly is relatively expensive). That and the fact that the oil itself is refined into a high quality oil that has exceptionally good viscosity numbers as the oil goes from cold to hot.

Just noticed they added 'C500 engine oil conditioner' and charged me $15 for it! This is my second oil change. I checked the first oil change invoice (first one was complimentary) and sure enough they didn't add the C500 coz they're footing the bill.

What is this C500 engine oil conditioner and is it any good? Is it standard practice to add it and charge for it without explicitly mentioning (i should've asked, but i didn't) to the customer?

Back