Those with 2012/2013 CX5: opinions on maint costs, post warranty

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Just wondering: CX5 after bumper-2-bumper warranty (3 yrs/36k miles) is over what's the general consensus on repair costs which might come up? Usually, (NOT generalizing here) but good Asian cars tend to go for 6 to 8 years without much hit on the wallet. Assume here usual maintenance is done in proper schedule and properly of course and the car's not used commercially/taxi/etc.

I have a feeling - possibly around $500 between the 3rd. to 7th. or 8th. year is guaranteed for brakes and another $500 for suspension (if anyone is really looking to get back the new car feel).

Why I am asking is I am being offered a flat deal of $100 / year starting now till 7th. year or 84k miles. 1st. 3 years or $300 is a waste since its factory warranty but after that? Also, every repair will attract a $250 deductible/co-pay. Net effect - I'll be paying $700 for 7 years and assume 1 repair - another $250. In this, brakes aren't included.

It'll be total waste if I leave it completely unused and have no intention of doing it (most probably will use it if nothing else comes up - on suspension).

First, warranty won't cover brakes or suspension. Second, I am a huge fan of extended warranties. Transmission takes a dump at 95k miles? I'm out $100. It added about $20 to my note. Well worth it.

What? Am I post warranty? I hadn't noticed. Time flies, I bought the car in mid 2012 but have only spent enough on it for three oil change kits. I don't expect the engine or transmission to have any issues for years - the thing runs like a Swiss watch.

Save your extended warranty money, refuse to live in fear. The vast majority of people who follow the manufacturers recommendations won't have any major problems (and I'm hoping for no minor problems either).

First, warranty won't cover brakes or suspension. Second, I am a huge fan of extended warranties. Transmission takes a dump at 95k miles? I'm out $100. It added about $20 to my note. Well worth it.

Understood. Why did you then constantly complain about how bad your Jeep was. Jeep's extended warranty program (MoPat or something) is the best I ever saw. At approx. $2500 my friend's Grand Cherokee is covered for 10 years, UNLIMITED miles with just $100 deductible almost EVERYTHING under the roof.

What? Am I post warranty? I hadn't noticed. Time flies, I bought the car in mid 2012 but have only spent enough on it for three oil change kits. I don't expect the engine or transmission to have any issues for years - the thing runs like a Swiss watch.

Save your extended warranty money, refuse to live in fear. The vast majority of people who follow the manufacturers recommendations won't have any major problems (and I'm hoping for no minor problems either).

You say fear, others say piece of mind. Nothing worse than having a unexpected cost of a couple grand when the time comes. I'd gladly pay the extra $20 a month on my car note to be worry free 10 years on a new car. If I don't use it, so be it. I still like having it.

Have you hit the 28k mile mark yet?

Just oil and mods. When I have some surplus I'll be changing the rotor/pads. Getting up to 50kmi.

Best advice right there, drive it like you stole it...

Back