Goodbye, CX-5

russiankid

:
2016 CX-5 Sport AWD
Last Friday I traded my CX-5 in for a 2016 VW GTI. The CX-5 did its job and I didn't have too many complaints with the car, but after a few months of ownership I kept wanting to get back into something that was manual and sporty. So after months of contemplating, I bit the bullet and traded it in. The deal I got was one I couldn't pass up, and I do not regret my decision at all. I'll still hang around this forum for sure, lots of good information on here. If it makes anyone feel better, my mom still owns a 16' CX-5 GT so kind of still in the Mazda family. (thumb)

2016 trade in for 2016, how much money did you lose? I kind want to trade in my cx5 as well, but parents said wait for at least four years.

I took a fairly large hit, almost 5k, but it is what it is and you live and learn. I was low balled by many dealers for trade in, but I ended up getting what KBB called for my CX-5 and the dealer only listed it for 2k more which is a shocker.

Good luck with the VW. The GTI is a fun car. 5K is a big hit, but like you said, it is what it is and you're the only one that has to live with it.

Have you owned VW before? I used to buy only VW stick shift and enjoyed them a lot. The only problem I have is the reliability. I finally gave up buying VWs as our last Passat V6 5-speed is having so many problems. GTI is a great car, and we used to own a GLI, and hope you have good luck on reliability.

This whole sportiness thing is my only reservation with a CX5. I own a ZQ8 V6 S10 and I am currently driving a Cadillac STS V6 which is more more "sporty" This reservation has me tempted on a Mazda3 or even like a new Civic but I need a slightly bigger car to be comfy in. Good luck to you in your VW Bliss! I hope the car holds up as I know a few folks that have had issues but I do know that car is fun to drive!

Good luck with the VW. The GTI is a fun car. 5K is a big hit, but like you said, it is what it is and you're the only one that has to live with it.
So far I don't regret it, haha.

Have you owned VW before? I used to buy only VW stick shift and enjoyed them a lot. The only problem I have is the reliability. I finally gave up buying VWs as our last Passat V6 5-speed is having so many problems. GTI is a great car, and we used to own a GLI, and hope you have good luck on reliability.
I have never owned VW before, but have owned BMW before, so German maintenance/reliability is nothing new to me.

This whole sportiness thing is my only reservation with a CX5. I own a ZQ8 V6 S10 and I am currently driving a Cadillac STS V6 which is more more "sporty" This reservation has me tempted on a Mazda3 or even like a new Civic but I need a slightly bigger car to be comfy in. Good luck to you in your VW Bliss! I hope the car holds up as I know a few folks that have had issues but I do know that car is fun to drive!

Hopefully I won't encounter any issues. From countless hours of research it seems that VW has stepped their game up in quality control and reliability.

So far I don't regret it, haha.

I have never owned VW before, but have owned BMW before, so German maintenance/reliability is nothing new to me.

Hopefully I won't encounter any issues. From countless hours of research it seems that VW has stepped their game up in quality control and reliability.

Quality Quality? Aren't they the ones who's getting sued all over the place for deceptive stuff? But at the same time, this is the best time to buy a VW. Here in NJ, dealers are ready to give it at cost......I heard or lower.

Dude! You should have waited; the new 2017 Mirage will be on shore soon! They already have it in the Philippines.

Interesting, And I traded in a 2014 BMW 228 MSport, Manual trans for my 2016CX-5 GT. No regrets at all. But the GTI sure is a fun car

We have a BMW 528i and I can tell it's a step better than VW from every aspect. All German cars are not the same. Some of the GTIs are made in Mexico or Brazil. Although German cars seem more problematic, but VW and Audi's are the worst as far as reliability goes. The rubber and plastic parts on German cars normally not last long. But it seems you may not keep the car for long so that shouldn't be your concern.

Quality Quality? Aren't they the ones who's getting sued all over the place for deceptive stuff? But at the same time, this is the best time to buy a VW. Here in NJ, dealers are ready to give it at cost......I heard or lower.
They are getting sued for false emission ratings, nothing to do with the quality of the vehicles.

Dude! You should have waited; the new 2017 Mirage will be on shore soon! They already have it in the Philippines.
Was never a Mitsu fan.

Interesting, And I traded in a 2014 BMW 228 MSport, Manual trans for my 2016CX-5 GT. No regrets at all. But the GTI sure is a fun car

Huh, definitely interesting.
We have a BMW 528i and I can tell it's a step better than VW from every aspect. All German cars are not the same. Some of the GTIs are made in Mexico or Brazil. Although German cars seem more problematic, but VW and Audi's are the worst as far as reliability goes. The rubber and plastic parts on German cars normally not last long. But it seems you may not keep the car for long so that shouldn't be your concern.

I think a lot of boils down to maintenance. A lot of parts are made all over the place, but final assembly is in Mexico. I don't see any issues with the build quality yet, the CX-5 had rattles that the GTI doesn't and the CX-5 was Japan built. I had a Scion that had transmission issues and it was Japan built. But I am happy with it, I upkeep my vehicles and repair them myself so not a big concern for me.

Just googled it. Wow, that thing is ugly. Kinda like if a Fiat and a Suzuki had a baby. Mitsubishi hasn't had a good looking vehicle since the 3000 GT.

But hey, that's just me. For each their own.... I mean people actually bought the Chevy Malibu Maxx (dunno)

They are getting sued for false emission ratings, nothing to do with the quality of the vehicles.

Was never a Mitsu fan.

Huh, definitely interesting.

I think a lot of boils down to maintenance. A lot of parts are made all over the place, but final assembly is in Mexico. I don't see any issues with the build quality yet, the CX-5 had rattles that the GTI doesn't and the CX-5 was Japan built. I had a Scion that had transmission issues and it was Japan built. But I am happy with it, I upkeep my vehicles and repair them myself so not a big concern for me.

Some VW models are hit/miss when it comes to rattles. My German built CC had rattles galore. A Mexican built 2016 Jetta rental with under 10k miles had rattles already. The GTI's build quality is similar...identical almost to the CC as they share the same chassis but the GTI had less rattle issues I noticed. Quality of materials was better in my CC than in my BMW 325i (which had a squeaky frame). However the gaps between the materials in the CC sucked and thus squeaked. On good surface roads the CC was quiet as it had heavy amounts of liquid sound deadening. Something you'll like but hate in the GTI. Love the quietness but hate it you're into detailing your car-when it gets hot will leak black goo unto the paint. So far our CX-5 and Mazda6 has no rattles. The GTI is an excellent value for the performance. Just try to find a good shop nearby specializing in VW/Audis.

I had a 08' VW Rabbit and after 6-1/2 years I did not have a single issue with it. It was build in Germany though. Japanese transmission and Mexican engine.
My next car most, likely will be a GTI.

Some VW models are hit/miss when it comes to rattles. My German built CC had rattles galore. A Mexican built 2016 Jetta rental with under 10k miles had rattles already. The GTI's build quality is similar...identical almost to the CC as they share the same chassis but the GTI had less rattle issues I noticed. Quality of materials was better in my CC than in my BMW 325i (which had a squeaky frame). However the gaps between the materials in the CC sucked and thus squeaked. On good surface roads the CC was quiet as it had heavy amounts of liquid sound deadening. Something you'll like but hate in the GTI. Love the quietness but hate it you're into detailing your car-when it gets hot will leak black goo unto the paint. So far our CX-5 and Mazda6 has no rattles. The GTI is an excellent value for the performance. Just try to find a good shop nearby specializing in VW/Audis.

My girlfriend has a 15' Jetta, Mexico built, and it has absolutely zero rattles. Her car is actually why I even considered a GTI, it felt very well built. Originally I was looking at a Focus ST, but too many horror stories of transmission issue, charge pipes coming off, and the crappy interior for the base model.

People also bought the Buick Rendezvous, I think that is one of the ugliest SUV's to exist.

Nah, its cousin the Pontiac Aztek was even worse. Probably the ugliest vehicle, all categories, I've even seen. I cringe each time I see it these days while binge-watching Breaking Bad!

My girlfriend has a 15' Jetta, Mexico built, and it has absolutely zero rattles. Her car is actually why I even considered a GTI, it felt very well built. Originally I was looking at a Focus ST, but too many horror stories of transmission issue, charge pipes coming off, and the crappy interior for the base model.

Our 2 previous models of Jettas were quiet and had no rattles too. They had the very reliable inline-5 engines but were thirsty. I was surprised that the Jetta rental rattled so much. That said, most rattles are easy to fix yourself with adhesive tape, ect. Having a manual cuts down on the maintenance a bit vs the DSG. The 2.0T engine itself has been around for a long time and is relatively reliable for a turbo engine.

Back