GT non-Tech DRL/highbeam upgrade.... help!!!

:
Fredericton Canada
:
2018 CX-5 GT
I have read several posts regarding DRL/highbeam upgrades but have not seen anything definitive regarding what product is best for an upgrade for my DRL/highbeam oem halogens. Now, my initial thought was to go with a LED upgrade as it would give me the brightness and whiteness that I am looking for, BUT, some have said that they suffer from poor beam pattern compared to the oem halogens due to the design of the reflector not able to project the LED light output properly.

In addition, I have heard that HID's are not suitable in a reflector, but rather are for projector lens locations only(my lowbeams).

I have even searched for "higher end" halogens which are supposed to give brighter and whiter light output compared to my oem (low end) Sylvania's. I tried Sylvania's top end ZXE's but could see no discernible difference from my oem's. Some have said that there are upper end halogens that will give me the improvement that I am looking for while other's say not and yet others say that I should not waste my money on the more expensive "higher end" halogens as they have a much shorter lifespan due to running hotter. The chart info on the back of Sylvania products confirm this lifespan concern.

SO, I am at a loss as of what to do. I think I need some recommendations from those of you have tried a product that has proven over a year or more to be compatible with the DRL/highbeam reflector and produces not only a brighter and whiter light but retains the same beam pattern as the oem halogen.

SO, I am at a loss as of what to do. I think I need some recommendations from those of you have tried a product that has proven over a year or more to be compatible with the DRL/highbeam reflector and produces not only a brighter and whiter light but retains the same beam pattern as the oem halogen.
You missed the best opportunity and most cost effective way with Tech Package option for better lighting while you're purchasing your new CX-5. The Bi-Xenon HID headlights with AFS would serve you really good.

Now you stuck with halogen headlights. You heard many different suggestions for better lighting. And you want more recommendations for a product "that has proven over a year or more to be compatible with the DRL/highbeam reflector and produces not only a brighter and whiter light but retains the same beam pattern as the oem halogen"?

There is a Chinese saying: "You can't make a horse work without feeding it." You simply can't have both ways. Check out this thread, Upgrading halogen headlights, and make your decision. My suggestion is to get whiter and brighter halogen bulbs from the list of these H11 bulbs for your low-beams and 9005/HB3 bulbs for your high-beams and DRLs.

I had Philips Vision Plus (no longer available) for our Honda CR-V and VW Passat and they are really bright and both have lasted at least 5 years. But you've already known, those whiter and brighter halogen bulbs will have shorter life. As I said, you simply can't have both ways.

You missed the best opportunity and most cost effective way with Tech Package option for better lighting while you're purchasing your new CX-5. The Bi-Xenon HID headlights with AFS would serve you really good.

Now you stuck with halogen headlights. You heard many different suggestions for better lighting. And you want more recommendations for a product "that has proven over a year or more to be compatible with the DRL/highbeam reflector and produces not only a brighter and whiter light but retains the same beam pattern as the oem halogen"?

There is a Chinese saying: "You can't make a horse work without feeding it." You simply can't have both ways. Check out this thread, Upgrading halogen headlights, and make your decision. My suggestion is to get whiter and brighter halogen bulbs from the list of these H11 bulbs for your low-beams and 9005/HB3 bulbs for your high-beams and DRLs.

I had Philips Vision Plus (no longer available) for our Honda CR-V and VW Passat and they are really bright and both have lasted at least 5 years. But you've already known, those whiter and brighter halogen bulbs will have shorter life. As I said, you simply can't have both ways.

I wasn't convinced from the outset that the extra thousands that a Tech model cost was worth it. I had read nothing but bad reviews about the sat nav (and I already had a portable sat nav from my previous vehicle), and, I didn't think that the standard Tech HID's were worth the extra cost as well, as I can buy a really good HID (lowbeam) upgrade for only $150 which is a far better deal in my mind. Yes, I don't have AFS but that wasn't important to me. But, as I said previously it is primarily my DRL\highbeams that I want to upgrade now, and HID's (I have read) are not suitable for that application but rather in the projector low beam lens only.

I have checked out the http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123852254-Upgrading-halogen-headlights thread and many comments there are familiar. They are struggling with most up-market halogens.... not white enough, not bright enough and/or don't last very long. But, thanks for your thoughts on Phillips bulbs. I have read some positive comments about them. I will continue to follow that thread to see if any definitive recommendations come from it over the next several months, especially in regards to any new innovations in halogens.

Last edited:
I have now bitten the bullet after researching ad naseum what upgrade of halogens to use for my high and low beams. I finally settled on the Philips Crystal Vision Ultra's with a supposed output of 4000K. I did compare their output colour to my oem bulbs and they do look marginally whiter. I was concerned about their reported shorter life span as compared to the oem variety, but since I rarely use my high beams and my DRL's have been disabled with my LED bezel addition I think I should get more then the 1+ years out of them that many others report. The auto parts dealer I bought them from said that I could return them to their store for a refund any time up to a year if I am unhappy with them or 1/both of them fail, AND, if one or both should fail between 1-2 years that Phillips would refund my money. I paid less for these 4 bulbs than I would for an HID low beam upgrade, so, at the moment I'm happy.

Latest posts

Back