Retrofit "Flat" folding seats to Sport

caverunner17

:
2014 6MT Sport
Does anyone with the Touring / Grand Touring trims know how exactly the rear cushion dips down when you fold the seats? I'm trying to find if it's possible to retrofit the mechanism on the sport model.

No doubt its possible, but may require buying a new backseat.

(iagree) I would take it a step further and say it WOULD require a new backseat.

People have removed the Sport seats. I'm wondering if anyone has removed the Touring / GT seats and know what actually is pushing the seat down. It could be as simple as a different rail being used.

People have removed the Sport seats. I'm wondering if anyone has removed the Touring / GT seats and know what actually is pushing the seat down. It could be as simple as a different rail being used.

The mechanism doesn't really push the rear seats down, rather it slides them towards the front of the vehicle.

Looking at the service manual, it looks like its part of the structure for the 60/20/40 seat assembly - or at least, the manual doesn't have anything specific about the mechanism, so its likely part of that seat's frame. So yeah, you'd need to source one of those and just replace the whole thing. Should drop right in where the other seat was. It might even come with the remote cable releases that you can install too.

Looking at the service manual, it looks like its part of the structure for the 60/20/40 seat assembly - or at least, the manual doesn't have anything specific about the mechanism, so its likely part of that seat's frame. So yeah, you'd need to source one of those and just replace the whole thing. Should drop right in where the other seat was. It might even come with the remote cable releases that you can install too.

Looks like I could pick up the Touring 20-40-20 seats for around $200 from a junk yard. Wonder if the power driver's seat would fit too....

Looks like I could pick up the Touring 20-40-20 seats for around $200 from a junk yard. Wonder if the power driver's seat would fit too....

I bet it would. Bolt patterns should all be the same. I think Mazda even runs harnesses because its easier to manufacturer that way (check this though). I had a Sport for a loaner and the two plastic panels on the sides of cargo area are where the remote releases go. $200's not bad, you'll gain a fair amount of usable volume.

I bet the Junk yard seats would bolt right in. It wouldn't make sense to make the body of the car different. Make sure you sit in the driver's seat before buying it. If the car was in a crash it is very likely that that seat is bent.

Back