Where do you go for oil changes?

axel2078

:
'16 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD & '10 Mazda 3 iTouring
Where do you guys go for your oil changes? Do you always go through Mazda, or do you go through someone else? I've been taking my Mazda3 to Valvoline Instant Oil Change for a few years now without incident. (Don't have enough miles on my CX-5 yet for the first one.) The only reason I have been going to them instead of Mazda is due to scheduling. I work 40 minutes away from home, so when I leave in the morning, the service department at my Mazda dealership is not open. When I get home in the evening, they are closing up, and they aren't open on Saturdays, so if I want to get my oil changed at Mazda, I essentially have to take a day off work. Valvoline places are all around me and there is one right next to where I work, so I normally go there. I've had a good experience with them so far. I was just curious where you guys go to.

Mazda dealer. of course dealer is on the way home from work so its real easy just to stop by and get service done

Do it myself. Sure it's a bit of a chore, but it takes no longer than waiting in one of those quickie lube places. It's cheaper and I know that it was done correctly. (Learned my lesson with quick change places -- never again.)

Do it myself. Sure it's a bit of a chore, but it takes no longer than waiting in one of those quickie lube places. It's cheaper and I know that it was done correctly. (Learned my lesson with quick change places -- never again.)

(iagree) It's far more satisfying to have the fun yourself rather than waiting around for some barely paid kid to do it, wondering if they substituted cheaper oil than specified, forgot to tighten the oil filter (or over-tightened it) etc., etc., etc. Additionally, I seem to be the only one who can fill it up without spilling oil all over the engine.

Yea, if you are not interested in changing it yourself I'd say the dealer, but if you have a reputable place otherwise, why not? Dealerships have also botched oil changes.

I just get the dealer to do it. I know them and they're very reputable. But after warranty is up, I'll be putting it on a 7500 mile interval rather than the 5,000 mile since 5k on full synthetic is a waste but it holds your warranty.

I have gone to the dealer so far, but I got one year of free oil changes when I bought the car. As said above, they spill it over the top of the engine, and never fill to the 'full' line on the dip stick. I will be doing my own from now on as my free oil changes are gone. The wife's Honda takes the same oil.
--Go to the dealer, do it yourself, or take it to a TRUSTED independent -- Do not go to the Jiffy lube store!!!!

Last edited:
My dealer gave us 3 free Moly oil changes with our purchase. Just had them do the last one on Saturday. Now I'll do it myself. They also gave us a $500 gift card for their dealer so I'll buy the oil and filter there. They have decent prices if I remember correctly.

My garage. Can't remember the last time I took one of my cars elsewhere to have an oil change. The CX-5 is such an easy DIY oil change, I couldn't see doing it any other way.

As said above, they spill it over the top of the engine, and never fill to the 'full' line on the dip stick.

The technician is not supposed to fill it all the way to the upper line (that is the beginning of an over-filled condition). Normal oil fill is somewhere between the two lines. That is where the oil level will end up if the technician adds the amount of oil specified in the Owner's Manual for your engine. Trying to hit the over-fill limit is an exercise in futility and not recommended. The OM says:

Caution: Do not add engine oil over Full. This may cause engine damage.

Proper fill is somewhere near the middle of the acceptable range, not right at the top. This is something to keep in mind now that you will be doing the oil changes yourself.

I just get the dealer to do it. I know them and they're very reputable. But after warranty is up, I'll be putting it on a 7500 mile interval rather than the 5,000 mile since 5k on full synthetic is a waste but it holds your warranty.

Why do you change at 5k? 7.5k is recommended in the manual.

My garage. Can't remember the last time I took one of my cars elsewhere to have an oil change. The CX-5 is such an easy DIY oil change, I couldn't see doing it any other way.

I wouldn't say its easy, but only car I've owned that I can change oil without ramps. It was tricky to find access the first time.

My dealer does free lifetime synthetic Castrol oil changes. Castrol sends me a check and I give it to the dealer each oil change.

If you have the tools and all the necessary containers, I would encourage you to do it yourself. Heck if you lived in my area, I will show you how to do it over the weekend (maybe when I do mine I'll do a DIY vid, but I think there are already some available). That way you know it was done right. However, I understand not everyone feels confident about performing their own maintenance or has the time, so I get it (my entire family is this way and I get to do oil changes for everybody, yay!). I've always done most of the maintenance and repairs myself on all of my vehicles. I was a tech once at a couple of dealerships and seen some things. I recommend that if you guys do take it to someone else, whether independent or dealer, watch what they do if possible or at least take a walk down the service bays and check out the place. Sometimes people make honest mistakes, but sometimes there are those who could care less about your vehicle. Always double check their work to make sure they didn't make a mess, and that they tightened everything (no leaks).

The technician is not supposed to fill it all the way to the upper line (that is the beginning of an over-filled condition). Normal oil fill is somewhere between the two lines. That is where the oil level will end up if the technician adds the amount of oil specified in the Owner's Manual for your engine. Trying to hit the over-fill limit is an exercise in futility and not recommended. The OM says:

Caution: Do not add engine oil over Full. This may cause engine damage.

Proper fill is somewhere near the middle of the acceptable range, not right at the top. This is something to keep in mind now that you will be doing the oil changes yourself.

Filling to the top line will not cause an over full condition. With the 2.5L it calls for around 4.8 qts (with filter change). The operational safe range is up to the top line with a little margin of safety built in.

Mazda dealership techs say that NOBODY measures off at 4.8 qts. They just put in 5 qts and call it a day.

In addition, depending on where you drive. The oil never sits level in the pan. Going around turns pulling over .50 g's, uphill and downhill, will change the oil level. I climb 7%-12% grades and go down 7%-12% grades. I guarantee you the oil is sloshed up to the front of the pan when going downhill. With the oil pickup down at one end of the pan then it's probably a lot shallower near the pickup. Skimping on filling the oil can possibly cause a dry pickup condition if the conditions are right.

For instance, GM on their Corvettes recommends putting in 1 extra quart of oil when going on slalom track events. The reason is simple. Oil sloshes around in a wet sump system like that of the SkyActiv engines. If the oil pickup goes dry, you can easily destroy a main or rod bearing, resulting in catastrophic engine failure.

To cause an over full condition would require something like pouring in 6-7 qts instead of the 5qts. So an extra 1-2 quarts would be bad. Keeping the oil at the top line is NOT bad and probably better off if you drive on steep roads and/or do some spirited driving. With the 2.5L engine putting in 5qts (with filter change) will bring the oil right up to the top dot on the dipstick tube when hot.

I've known of plenty of engines that people ran their oil UNDER and ended up throwing a rod or spinning a main bearing. I have yet to meet someone who ran a little too high on the oil level and destroyed an engine. Never heard of it in my lifetime.

Keeping the oil level at the top line on the dipstick tube (when hot) is NOT bad and a good thing if you drive in the above conditions. The oil level will read differently when HOT vs COLD.

Last edited:
The owners manual clearly states:

That if the oil level is at full mark on the dipstick, it is 100% normal and OK. If you actually read it carefully, the emphasis is on that the oil level remains at the FULL mark on the dipstick.

I disagree, as does the owners manual, with your statement that proper level is, "Proper fill is somewhere near the middle of the acceptable range, not right at the top. The technician is not supposed to fill it all the way to the upper line (that is the beginning of an over-filled condition)."

OM.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Filling to the top line will not cause an over full condition. With the 2.5L it calls for around 4.8 qts (with filter change). The operational safe range is up to the top line with a little margin of safety built in.

Mazda dealership techs say that NOBODY measures off at 4.8 qts. They just put in 5 qts and call it a day.

In addition, depending on where you drive. The oil never sits level in the pan. Going around turns pulling over .50 g's, uphill and downhill, will change the oil level. I climb 7%-12% grades and go down 7%-12% grades. I guarantee you the oil is sloshed up to the front of the pan when going downhill. With the oil pickup down at one end of the pan then it's probably a lot shallower near the pickup. Skimping on filling the oil can possibly cause a dry pickup condition if the conditions are right.

For instance, GM on their Corvettes recommends putting in 1 extra quart of oil when going on slalom track events. The reason is simple. Oil sloshes around in a wet sump system like that of the SkyActiv engines. If the oil pickup goes dry, you can easily destroy a main or rod bearing, resulting in catastrophic engine failure.

To cause an over full condition would require something like pouring in 6-7 qts instead of the 5qts. So an extra 1-2 quarts would be bad. Keeping the oil at the top line is NOT bad and probably better off if you drive on steep roads and/or do some spirited driving. With the 2.5L engine putting in 5qts (with filter change) will bring the oil right up to the top dot on the dipstick tube when hot.

I've known of plenty of engines that people ran their oil UNDER and ended up throwing a rod or spinning a main bearing. I have yet to meet someone who ran a little too high on the oil level and destroyed an engine. Never heard of it in my lifetime.

Keeping the oil level at the top line on the dipstick tube (when hot) is NOT bad and a good thing if you drive in the above conditions. The oil level will read differently when HOT vs COLD.

Do you actually pull 0.5g (other than hard braking) in your CX5? My Z06 had a G-meter, and 0.5g felt like a LOT on the street, even in that car.

All owner's manuals I've seen, including Mazda's, say you bring the oil level to the Full mark of the dipstick when it's low. And I don't see any issues bringing the oil level to the Full mark!

The problem for CX-5 is if you use the spec, 4.8 quarts for a SA-G 2.5L, for oil change, the oil level only reaches ~⅔ between Low and Full mark of the dipstick. Even if you put in 5 quarts like these Mazda techs doing, the oil level can only reaches at up from the Low mark at most depending on how long you've let old oil drain. A member had tried and it basically took 5.3 quarts to get it exactly at the top dot. This is different from any other vehicles I've experienced, and I bet to all oil change DIYers too!

Another interesting thing is all brand new CX-5's I've checked, including those in the dealer's showroom and friends', the oil level all shows at about between Low and Full from factory fill, never at Full mark. A forum member here had the same experience too. With understated oil change capacity mentioned above, I'm thinking this is may be a way for Mazda to overcome any oil rising issue.

BTW, I always DIY, including oil changes. And I can be sure our CX-5 has Mazda moly oil and OEM oil filter. For a simple oil change, dealers will do over-fill, under-fill, over-tighten drain bolt and oil filter, and using wrong oil, you name it. (boom01)

Back