Had it a week, now its a bit ruined

:
Mazda CX-5 GT-M AWD
Happened today at a stoplight.

The Nissan Patrol behind me decided breaking was optional, hit me at around 20mph and sent me in to the car infront, who hit the car infront of him.

Damage appears to be:

-Rear bumper
-Boot/trunk lid
-Rear sensors/radar/camera
-Tow hook assembly
-Front bumper
-Grille
-Bonnet/hood
-Main rad
-AC rad
-Crash bar

and maybe more... :(

I covered 750km in it, and now some idiot broke it... gah!

Also some nice bruising on my vertebrae C5. poop

Wow, that really sucks! Tell you right now, the back alone has about $2500.00 worth of damage...

Im expecting they will repair it - the car is still worth about $30k here. Although I suppose itll depend somewhat on what they find on the chassis - for example I could see the towhook assembly was deformed, and all that will need replacing.

Im expecting it will cost about €10k ($12k) to repair at prices here....depending also on what the labour and painting rate is.

Probably no Mazda for a few weeks too.

That kind of thinking of exactly what's wrong with our country.

A damaged vertebrae is no joke. No matter what you do for a living, the back is in use every minute of the day.

If you end up not having it totaled (doubtful), also file diminution of value claim.

Im pretty sure that doesnt exist here - which double sucks as I was planning to sell the car when my Mustang arrives in September.

Also, claiming $$$ for injuries also doesnt exist. Which is something I think we can be thankful for.

Ive got brusing around C5 in the muscles, but no disc/vertebrae damage, luckily!

Spent 3 hours sorting paperwork and calling people today, total PITA.

And this is what I have to drive in place of the CX-5... better than nothing I suppose!

That sucks and hopefully won't be a drawn out process like it can be here in the US.

1 question: GT-M AWD?? Does that mean Manual transmission AWD CX-5!!? I wasn't aware that Mazda had an AWD manual option anywhere in the world.

Im pretty sure that doesnt exist here - which double sucks as I was planning to sell the car when my Mustang arrives in September.

Glad to hear you are alright!!!

I found it interesting you are getting a Mustang... overall what do Europeans think of American cars? I was under the assumption they are rare and undesirable there. Perhaps I am stereotyping all with something I heard a while back.

One of my nephews is currently building a dual turbo '16 5.2L Mustang. I guess stock around 526HP... If memory serves me...over 1K HP after upgrades. I may need to be medicated during the obligatory test drive for "uncle".

He scared the sh1t out of me when he had his M3.

http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/index.php/turbo-systems/209

Theres a strong following for the Halo American cars - Mustang, Camaro, Corvette etc. The main problems have always been price, availability and support.

Normal models (SUVs, Minivans, sedans etc) have never done well here due to the comparatively massive engines, poor economy and perceived lower quality. 10-15mpg doesnt make sense to most people when fuel is about $7 per gallon. Its interesting to see some very 'European' models now being sold in the USA. One of my other cars is a 1.0 EcoBoost Focus, and it seems like that is selling well in the US market, which surprised me to say the least.

Now that the Mustang is finally RHD for the UK, and an official model for all of Europe (with warranty etc) sales are taking off.

Price varies from market to market - but in some places the larger engines make the cars un-savoury.

The 5.0 V8GT I have on order is €120,000 list price here in NL. My buddies ZR1 Corvette was €215,000. Ridiculous. An EcoBoost Mustang is a comparatively cheap €50k.

Thanks... very interesting..

Are you still paying around $7 (USD) for fuel? We have it so cheap here in US..... I paid like $1.85/gallon for premium the other day for my '07 G35x (aka Nissan Skyline). It doesn't run well on the cheaper fuels.

EDIT: I need to get over to Holland someday... my dad's side is like 100%. They came over around the WWI era and then changed the name... IIRC... it was Molenaar.. probably a common name.

Last edited:
Thanks... very interesting..

Are you still paying around $7 (USD) for fuel? We have it so cheap here in US..... I paid like $1.85/gallon for premium the other day for my '07 G35x (aka Nissan Skyline). It doesn't run well on the cheaper fuels.

EDIT: I need to get over to Holland someday... my dad's side is like 100%. They came over around the WWI era and then changed the name... IIRC... it was Molenaar.. probably a common name.

Gasoline is the cheapest its been for years and years at the moment.

This morning I paid €1.32 per litre of 95RON. 98RON is about €1.50

I think our 95 is the equivalent of US 91... making std. gasoline the equivalent of about $5.50 per US gallon, and 98RON about $6.24

As little as 3-4 months ago we were right around the $7 mark.

I remember filling my Jeep Cherokee in 2010 for €1.70 per litre, making it (with the exchange rate back then) approx $8-9 per gallon. I was spending about €2000 per month on fuel. I sold that car pretty quickly!!!

Still amazed at fuel prices... but very intrigued to hear the US following of vehicles. We are quite the melting pot here in the US but many have a lot of deep roots back to Europe in their family history.

EDIT: Those fuel prices here in the US would almost instantly shun the passenger vehicle industry in excess of 5000 lbs (2267KG)... perhaps even less vehicle weight.

Last edited:
Yes, its a 2.0 AWD with a manual transmission.

Sold only in a few LHD european markets I think.

Very nice! I'm not looking forward to the eventual replacement of my 2013 AWD 2.0L CX-5 because I don't really like the added weight and reduced fuel economy of the 2.5L engine. A lot of Americans thought it was under-powered but it has the acceleration of most small block V-8's from the 1970's (and is faster than the in-line 6's). I imagine the European version with the lighter weight manual shift and higher compression engine feels downright sporty rowing through that six speed gearbox!

If American consumer preferences were similar to those in Europe, we would be offered the same superior configurations. We can't blame Mazda for what the vast majority of Americans demand!

Mike... granted the 2.0L wouldn't be optimal for me with some limited towing .....I had a '87 Nissan 3.0L "V6" with basically the same the specs as 2.0L years back and I would have been fine with that.... had this been what I have today. In fact... for what I ask.. it probably would have been fine... I needed AWD and only option was 2.5L at time so here I am today.

For better or worse I'll be here to report back whether SkyActiv can support a 10 year vehicle owner with no complaints :)

I told the wife this week.. we could've bought a whole h3ll of a lot more...but I am damn happy with the Mazda right now.

Back