Here's what happened to me yesterday

frenchbiker

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech
Let the car warm up on the driveway with the fob inside.
10 or 15mn later (not sure how long), the engine was still running but all doors were locked!! I couldn't even unlock the doors with the spare fob!
Only solution was to open the hatch manually (glad it opened!), remove the luggage screen, lower the rear seats, crawl all the way to the front and reach the unlock button on the driver door.
WTF?
Is there a setting to prevent the doors from locking automatically when the car doesn't move?

What about the hidden key in the spare fob?
This would be the best way to resolve the situation you had. We all forgot there is a thing called mechanical key which is used to open the car doors in the old days. :)

I think you have automatic door locking turned on, and somehow your key fob might be sitting in the cup holder where Mazda warned in the manual that the signal may not be detectable. As you left the car, key fob signal didn't exist from car receiver's point of view, and automatic door locking activated. But this still can't explain why you couldn't open the door with spare, but only the liftgate.

I agree the hidden key would have been best way to gain access as others have mentioned.

I had a slightly different experience the other day.

I went out to warm up the CX 5 2 mornings ago as it was rather cold here. I wanted to test locking the doors with the hidden key as the doors won't lock when idle and no fob in the car. Started the car, exited the vehicle and locked the doors with the hidden key.

To my surprise when returning to the vehicle it would not unlock by pressing the button on the fob or the button on the door handle, it would only unlock with the hidden key. Not as odd as your experience OP but still an odd choice by mazda. I dont understand the logic in having to unlock the vehicle the same way it was locked.

This would be the best way to resolve the situation you had. We all forgot there is a thing called mechanical key which is used to open the car doors in the old days. :)

I think you have automatic door locking turned on, and somehow your key fob might be sitting in the cup holder where Mazda warned in the manual that the signal may not be detectable. As you left the car, key fob signal didn't exist from car receiver's point of view, and automatic door locking activated. But this still can't explain why you couldn't open the door with spare, but only the liftgate.

Thanks much. Everything you wrote makes sense. Yes, the fob was sitting in the cup holder (no other place to put it except on the passenger seat), but like you said, I don't understand why the spare fob couldn't unlock the door. Also, hitting the door button with the spare fob in my hand didn't work either.
I'm going to deactivate the auto door lock to be on the safe side.

Sit in your car, turn on engine, now use your fob to try to lock/unlock it won't work. It's a safety feature.
That's why your spare fob didn't work.

Back