Let's move the Cost/Standard of Living Thread Here

:
'16.5 CX-5 AWD
Just before we get totally off topic - I realise the private medical system in the USA is in many respects a disgrace, but dont go thinking its free everywhere else.... everybody pays, its just hidden away in taxes etc.

As a Brit, I had been used to the NHS - 'free' at point of delivery, but its been bankrupting the government for years and the suggested cost 'per person per year' in taxes etc is somewhere around the $3000 mark.

Here in NL where I live now - some cost is covered by direct taxes to the government , and the rest is topped up by compulsory private medical insurance. As a family of 3 we pay about $4-4500 per year in private premiums, plus whatever goes via the direct taxes.
My high-deductible medical insurance plan for 3 costs about $8500/year, but my former employer picks up most of it, I'm retired, so I pay $960/yr and I can use pre-tax money to pay that.

How would this compare to the US (out of interest):

3 1/2 yr old CX-5 purchase price approx: 28,000 USD
I paid $US28,000 for my 14 month old CX-5 GT.

Yearly road tax: approx 800 USD
For the states that collect an annual ad valorem tax on vehicles (a few) it would be less, Georgia seems to be about $US500. There are no Federal property taxes.

Insurance per year: approx 800 USD
Mine is about $650/yr with a not so perfect record.

Gasoline: Nearly $6 per gallon, in place of approx $2 per gallon in the USA?
Well, $1.50/gallon in Tennessee right now. :)

The yearly road tax on my diesel Volvo that I just sold was nearly $3,000 per year!! :( WOW!

Genuinely, all things considered Id hazard a guess its about 20% cheaper to live in most parts of the USA in comparison to most parts of W. Europe.... id swap in a heartbeat, but my job is prevents me from moving as its 'Federal Government' in the USA and you need to be a natural citizen :(
Twenty to 30% more been my impression, but it could be balanced by income. In the Southeast US, a Civil Engineer is paid between $US90,000 and $US130,000 depending on experience. A Professional License is required to get into the upper end of the range. Partnership in the firm raises that several multiples.

You'd be welcome to move over the Pond!

My higher education in the UK cost me approx $50k, so again, not cheap....
No, not cheap, but we spend similar amounts at private universities for a bachelor's degree. It cost about $20k, books, food and all, to get my last son through a state sponsored (tax supported) university.

Back