2016 GT won't start

:
CX-5 GT AWD
We have a 2016 CX-5 GT no tech (Canada, picked up Nov 2015).

The girlfriend was driving home from work last Friday (Feb 19) and 5 km into her trip she called me and said "the alternator is dead". She explained that the cruise control light and wrench light turned off and then the radio went off but the engine was still on. The same thing happened in her previous honda civic where all the dash lights went off, then the radio, then the engine - so she thought she better pull over before she gets hit from behind on the single lane country road she was driving on. She pulls over, turns off the engine, then try to turn it back on but nothing - no lights anywhere. Brand new CX-5 GT left her stranded in the first 3 months of ownership. She tried numerous times to start the car to the point that she couldn't depress the brake pedal anymore. I just told her to call the mazda road side assistance and have it towed to the dealership.

I met her there and spoke to the service manager and at first he thought it was a dead battery or loose battery connection. Went out to the car and he layed on the horn and it was working properly so the battery and connection seems fine. He then checked and replace the fob battery and still no luck with starting. Although he was able to start it by pressing the push start with the fob - the emergency start method. At this point we had to leave to make it to an appointment so they set us up with a rental. We got a call at the end of the day from the service manager and he told us that they managed to get the car to start properly now and all the tech did was follow instructions in his diagnostic book and unplug a connector behind the dash and reconnect it. The tech only completed just step 1 of the diagnostic which was to inspect the connector, and all he did was unplug and reconnect it. He didn't tell me which connector but he told me it wasn't in a place where we could've accidentally pulled on it or kicked it loose.

It's day 4 now and they're still waiting to hear from Mazda engineer to see how to proceed. Service manager didn't want us driving it until he hears back and frankly I don't want my girlfriend driving it.

Anybody gone through this? Did you end up finding what caused it? (bang)

Wet relays eh...

Update: Mazda contacted the dealership and told them to drive it around for another day. Looks like they can't pinpoint the problem. Maybe I'll tell them to check the relays or just point them to that thread.

Wet relays eh...

Update: Mazda contacted the dealership and told them to drive it around for another day. Looks like they can't pinpoint the problem. Maybe I'll tell them to check the relays or just point them to that thread.

Your problem is definitely electrical and intermittent in nature, so it could be moisture in relays. On the other hand, your problem seems somewhat different to what I was having, and they told me different relays that did not suffer from the problem were used after mid-2014...

Your problem is definitely electrical and intermittent in nature, so it could be moisture in relays. On the other hand, your problem seems somewhat different to what I was having, and they told me different relays that did not suffer from the problem were used after mid-2014...

I wonder if this was a mid-year change for the '15s or changes were made for the '16s? I might have to peruse the parts schematics for any indication of when changes occurred.

Honked the horn and from this the guy determines the battery is OK? Sounds like it was running on the battery (no alternator output) and when she couldn't restart because the battery was drained. I would suspect a loose alternator belt, a bad ground or battery connection or a bad alternator. That is how I would approach this problem. Ed

I'm leaning more towards alternator. They pulled the logs from the car that day and saw that the battery was ~12V and after 10 mins of driving it should have gone up to ~14V but it didn't. Battery tested perfect, and belt was fine. When the car was towed to the dealership, it started fine when the fob was used to press the engine start button.

I mentioned moisture in relays and the service manager said he's never heard of that before. He was going on about maybe moisture in certain modules like the blind-spot monitoring system.

Apparently everything is working fine now and they're going to keep driving it for the rest of the week and see if the problem reoccurs. He did say that there was a code U3003 - looks like generic voltage threshold, can't find anything specific to cx-5.

Very frustrating driving this base model rav4 rental...

I'm leaning more towards alternator. They pulled the logs from the car that day and saw that the battery was ~12V and after 10 mins of driving it should have gone up to ~14V but it didn't. Battery tested perfect, and belt was fine. When the car was towed to the dealership, it started fine when the fob was used to press the engine start button.

If the car started fine with the key fob to start button method, the car battery was good. This only helps when the fob battery is dead, which has nothing to do with the alternator obviously. It could be that the circuit powering the fob receiver was bad though, and that could still indicate a bad connection or relay.

I mentioned moisture in relays and the service manager said he's never heard of that before. He was going on about maybe moisture in certain modules like the blind-spot monitoring system.

A dealer that knows nothing of a TSB, nah, that never happens! ;) Maybe you could give them the TSB number I posted on the other thread. It might not be the problem, but it would give them something to do other than driving your car all day!

Back