Prevent Unauthorized Door Opening

:
'16.5 CX-5 AWD
So, .... I'm standing beside my CX-5 having a wary conversation with a cat that looks like he might be willing to do bad things. How do I keep him from getting into my SUV with out my invitation?

I already tried; I can open the passenger doors from the right front door with the fob beside the left door.

So, .... I'm standing beside my CX-5 having a wary conversation with a cat that looks like he might be willing to do bad things. How do I keep him from getting into my SUV with out my invitation?

I already tried; I can open the passenger doors from the right front door with the fob beside the left door.

Instructions unclear, locked myself out trying to test your scenario ...

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

Try hanging the fob on one door handle, or place it on the rear bumper and walk to another door with a "call button".

Disable that feature? With many convenience features come sometimes unintended consequences. Weigh the risk vs the reward.

I don't know that I want to disable it, but I don't want walk up the the car and have Norman Bates climb in with me.

The downside of having keyless entry that is activated by touching the door handle rather than a button like my Hyundai had.

I would play it off like I'm not entering my car. Just walk past the CX-5 and hope he starts talking to someone else in the parking lot. If he's distanced far enough, I'd swoop right back and get in the CX-5 ninja style and drive off.

Practice opening the door and hitting the lock button inside the door really quickly? Would that disable the passenger door from being opened? Ninja training is also pretty useful I think! ;)

I guess you will have to have your hand in your pocket with your finger on the lock button ready in case s/he knows to use the call button on the door (not sure how to prevent the tail gate though). The unlock button on Mazda key fob only unlocks the driver door, so you can just unlock once and jump in and lock it again. My CompuStar key fob unlocks the driver door, then automatically unlocks all door a second later so that's no good.

Really, I've learned from karate class that when someone gets too close to you, you're supposed to keep both hands up and tell the person to keep a distance, that's basic self-defense and personal right/space.

Really, I've learned from karate class that when someone gets too close to you, you're supposed to keep both hands up and tell the person to keep a distance, that's basic self-defense and personal right/space.

Wow! You must live in a very different world than I do! That concept is completely foreign to me.

Wow! You must live in a very different world than I do! That concept is completely foreign to me.

Re-reading my post, I meant both hands up in front of you, not above your head :)

When a stranger approaches too close to you, keeping your hands between you and that person will give you enough reaction time to block if they happen to attack. We have frequent incidents (robbing, assault, ...) on campus here, almost every week, so being aware of the surrounding (as in not focusing on book or cell phone), and trusting your gut can save you from troubles.

I used to work . Several years ago the panhandlers were pretty aggressive. The city police and shelters have reduced the problem to nearly nothing, now days, but I can remember a time when you had to be pretty careful going to your car.

OK, if I walk up to the car and open the driver's door with the call button, none of the other doors will unlock, or open. But, I have to be fast enough to crack the door before someone on the other side can can push that call button.

Are you sure if someone is sitting in the car with the doors locked the command can open the door? I bet it stays locked. ( except if someone is in the back seat) I will try this next time I have my wife with me.

I haven't tried it that way. With the driver's door unlatched and barely open, no other doors can be unlocked with the call buttons.

Back