Condensation/Frost inside front LED housing, normal? safe?

silvercx

:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT - Sonic Silver - Tech Package
Hi All,

I live in NY, so it's been pretty damn cold lately. Today I noticed there's a frozen patch inside the LED housing. It's only on the left side and not the right.

Is this normal? I understand LED bulbs can get very hot and factor in the cold weather, condensation could form.

Should I get this checked out?

Thanks in advance.

e: Added a picture. Will get better pictures when it's morning.

bmvzr9Q.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. It should be sealed. If there is a hole somewhere then it will probably get bigger overtime with freezing and eventually you will have condensation whenever it's wet.

Apparently the left side of your LED headlight unit had let more moisture in than right side and it formed a frost patch. I wouldn't be happy about it but there is not much you can do unless you can duplicate the frost patch and show the dealer before it melts.

At least your electrical parking brake hasn't been frozen up and get stuck... ;)

There are definitely quality issues with some of the LED headlight assemblies. Mine have looked like crap since about 2 months after purchase. Whereas a similar CX5 with tech (at work) has the older HID lights and the headlight cases look minty fresh.

The CX-5 headlight is not sealed. There is a tiny hole on the bottom. My CX-5 had slight mist in one headlight for first few days I had it. Research showed that it was caused by sitting in a lot for a month, and driving it around would air it out. It went away after a short time, and never came back.

The CX-5 headlight is not sealed. There is a tiny hole on the bottom. My CX-5 had slight mist in one headlight for first few days I had it. Research showed that it was caused by sitting in a lot for a month, and driving it around would air it out. It went away after a short time, and never came back.

I wonder if there are any adverse effects if you just plug up that hole.

Back