Size of cargo area (sq ft)

caverunner17

:
2014 6MT Sport
Does anyone know the usable cargo space in the CX5 with both the seats up and down? Everyone seems to measure in cubic feet, which is fine for volume, but doesn't give me a comparison in square feet (length by width) to my current car. Obviously the CX-5 is taller, but it's hard to see the physical space with that number if it actually provides more floor space for the cargo area or not.

Thanks!

Does anyone know the usable cargo space in the CX5 with both the seats up and down? Everyone seems to measure in cubic feet, which is fine for volume, but doesn't give me a comparison in square feet (length by width) to my current car. Obviously the CX-5 is taller, but it's hard to see the physical space with that number if it actually provides more floor space for the cargo area or not.

More floor space than what? I have the Touring model in which the back seats fold flat which helps a lot!

I used the CX-5 to build a tile/glass shower and tile the floor in my ski cabin. I needed to use my pick-up truck for the floor to ceiling panes of thick glass but the CX-5 was fine for everything else. One trip I had a heavy stack of 3'x5' cement backer board, a stack of 8' 2x4 studs, boxes of ceramic tiles, bags of sand, portland cement, thinset and a tile saw in the back, no problem closing the hatch even though I was probably well over the GVWR (CX-5 drove great!).

There's lots of room back there, why don't you visit your nearest Mazda dealer and have a look for yourself?

More floor space than what? I have the Touring model in which the back seats fold flat which helps a lot!

I used the CX-5 to build a tile/glass shower and tile the floor in my ski cabin. I needed to use my pick-up truck for the floor to ceiling panes of thick glass but the CX-5 was fine for everything else. One trip I had a heavy stack of 3'x5' cement backer board, a stack of 8' 2x4 studs, boxes of ceramic tiles, bags of sand, portland cement, thinset and a tile saw in the back, no problem closing the hatch even though I was probably well over the GVWR (CX-5 drove great!).

There's lots of room back there, why don't you visit your nearest Mazda dealer and have a look for yourself?

Mike- do your seats really fold truly flat, or "close enough"? Mine don't go down perfectly flat, but the angle isn't much to worry about... maybe a few degrees, not near the angle of the folding seats in our CRV. Now, my old 4Runner had perfectly flat folding seats, which was better for the dogs.

Mike- do your seats really fold truly flat, or "close enough"?

I've never noticed if it's perfectly flat, but it looks and loads like it's basically flat. I've pushed loaded cardboard boxes to the front by lining them up and pushing on the last one. The Sport model is not close to flat and it affects cargo capacity and ease of loading. No issues with 40/20/40 seats.

Curious how you carried a stack of 8' lumber and got the hatch shut? I've carried a couple of pieces resting on the arm rest, but a stack?

I've never noticed if it's perfectly flat, but it looks and loads like it's basically flat. I've pushed loaded cardboard boxes to the front by lining them up and pushing on the last one. The Sport model is not close to flat and it affects cargo capacity and ease of loading. No issues with 40/20/40 seats.

Yeah, I agree you can load things in as if it were flat, but its not really the case. As for the CRV, you will feel resistance when loading long items, and in some instances, will need to help lift things up due to the angle of the seat backs. Further, the CRV has a supposed "smart" system (or whatever folks call it) where the rear seat flips up ala 4Runner, but the seat back angle is really not that great... err flat. Maybe folks just rave about the Honda's system because you simply have to pull the straps and the rear seat and backs move on their own. I prefer a more flat cargo area to somewhat automated seat/seatback movement.

Last edited:
I used the CX-5 for 2 full size beds, 2 lamps, and 2 dressers from Ikea no sweat.

More cargo floor space than my current hatchback. I DJ on the weekends and LxW is a lot more important than LxWxH for me.

More cargo floor space than my current hatchback. I DJ on the weekends and LxW is a lot more important than LxWxH for me.

Go look at one at your nearest Mazda dealer and see for yourself!

Most cars do not have perfectly rectangular cargo areas so a LxW measurement is not very definitive vs. simply seeing it in person.

But I don't understand the lack of interest in height of cargo area. A couple of friends play professionally in bands and they generally have their SUV's stacked to the roof with instruments, amps, speakers, sound boards and related equipment. The high roof is what makes it work for them and professional quality equipment is designed for stacking (is DJ equipment built to a lower standard than band equipment?).

Go look at one at your nearest Mazda dealer and see for yourself!

Most cars do not have perfectly rectangular cargo areas so a LxW measurement is not very definitive vs. simply seeing it in person.

But I don't understand the lack of interest in height of cargo area. A couple of friends play professionally in bands and they generally have their SUV's stacked to the roof with instruments, amps, speakers, sound boards and related equipment. The high roof is what makes it work for them and professional quality equipment is designed for stacking (is DJ equipment built to a lower standard than band equipment?).
Some stuff I can stack, some stuff I cannot. Such as my 15" sub, I can throw stuff on top of there, but speakers are quasi-triangle shaped and don't stack well and are too heavy (at 40lbs) to throw on top of other crates.

Plus, I'm wondering if it's possible to get a bike in back with the seats down without removing the front wheel.

Plus, I'm wondering if it's possible to get a bike in back with the seats down without removing the front wheel.

I always remove my front wheel but I have a HUGE bike because I'm 6'-04" and like to stretch out when I ride (and my bike is a 29'er).

You guys are wusses! Load that sucker up!

Just don't do what this guy did. With the 800 lbs. of concrete inside, and estimated 3000 lbs. was on this car.

lumber.jpg

Last edited:
Back