Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
Mazda Ice Academy: Trial By Ice And Snow CX-5, CX-3 And MX-5

Mazda Ice Academy: Trial By Ice And Snow CX-5, CX-3 And MX-5

f6eaa856cd1f7c9cf80120fe21e095.jpg

45f16cbe65b932efd53b04db1d6ede.jpg

2313b99c2ce9f429ebb9dab23fe5b8.jpg

Saw this article the other day, too, waiting to see full details and videos.

But then, I didn't have to wait too long to experience the AWD first hand when the blizzard hit Minnesota on Tuesday. On a slightly uphill road (Nicollet Ave S, between HW13 and Burnsville Parkway, https://goo.gl/maps/oTvKyykY6mJ2), I counted 6 cars, mostly FWD, got stuck trying to climb up, partly because of the freshly compacted snow, but also partly because there're too many redlights to keep the momentum to go forward.

If I were still driving my 99' Civic, I'd turn and try a different route, or at least try to get it up in one go, but certainly I wanted to test the CX-5 with stock Yoko tires :) I slowly crawled up the road, zig-zagging left and right to avoid the stuck cars. The CX-5 didn't even hesitate for a split second, performed stop-and-go easily, I couldn't even feel the AWD trying.

Of course, when it comes to cornering and braking, the Yoko tires doesn't help much. I almost slipped out of my drive way trying to hard brake while backing out and saw a taxi driving by. As I took my Accord with Xi-3 out for a test drive, I caught the taxi got stuck on the way out, took me about 3 minutes trying to rock it out of the snow patch. I tested the FWD Accord over that same section where the taxi got stuck, it was able to get pass easily several times. Of course, the CX-5 doesn't have any problem driving around the whole neighborhood.

I probably will get snow tires next year. I'm just glad that the car gives a very direct feeling of the sliding/slipping so I got used to it quickly. Finding small roads where snow are not cleaned yet is now my hobby with the CX-5.

Last edited:

Published on Feb 4, 2016
2016 Mazda Ice Academy to demonstrate i-ACTIV AWD and to have some fun with the Mazda MX-5.

Mazda’s predictive i-ACTIV all-wheel drive technology was introduced in the 2013 Mazda CX-5, the first sixth-generation vehicle with a full integration of SKYACTIV Technologies.

Subsequent models for the North American and Australian markets with i-ACTIV AWD include CX-3, which went on sale in 2015, and the all-new CX-9, which will go on sale in eight global markets in 2016.

Several other global Mazda products also feature i-ACTIV AWD.

Mazda’s innovative i-ACTIV AWD works similarly in all models in which it is implemented, complementing Mazda’s Jinba Ittai—“horse and rider as one”—and Hoshiru Yorikobi—“joy derived from driving”—philosophies. That is to say, Mazdas are meant to be sporty and engage their drivers, allowing for precise control and spirited dynamics. i-ACTIV AWD was designed to complement those tenets—not hinder them.

In normal operation, vehicles route approximately 98 percent of their power to the front wheels, but torque transfer can reach as much as 50:50 front-to-rear if the vehicle determines more power is needed at the rear wheels.

Where many systems are touted as sending power from “the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip”—a reactionary system—Mazda’s i-ACTIV AWD is predictive, reading road, engine, transmission, weather, windshield wiper use, internal and external temperature, yaw sensors, steering and other conditions more than 200 times per second to determine torque transfer.

In all, i-ACTIV AWD uses 27 different sensors that feed to a central control module to determine how wheels need to be driven before the ever reach a patch of ice or deep puddle.

Excellent! This article supports what I've been reporting about my experiences with the snow/ice performance of the CX-5. The feeling of direct control is a huge benefit on low traction surfaces because it empowers the driver and enables him or her to provide better and more timely driver inputs which heightens control because, as the article states, "controlling it is to stay ahead of the car – that intuitive feel for what is happening in the nano-moments before it happens." This is key when driving on snow and ice and is what sets the CX-5 apart from it's less capable competition.

But this experience was a revelation. In these conditions, on compacted ice and thick snow, parts of it marginal to the extreme, the iActiv system provided a level of grip and steering control that seemed barely possible.

And, certainly, changed minds.

and this:

We had help. The operation of the Mazda’s iActiv on-demand AWD system as fitted to the CX-5 and CX-3, is, as we were to discover, considerably more capable than perhaps many of us had previously given it credit for.
<strike></strike>

I'm looking forward to seeing this part when it's published:

Interestingly, part of the challenge on the first circuit was to repeat the exercise in two of the CX-5’s key AWD competitors, the Honda CR-V and Subaru Forester. The task being to compare their performance and capability – in matching conditions and against a target speed – against the Mazda’s performance.

The CX-5, without putting too fine a point on it, “did ‘em like a dinner”. (That report follows: “Shootout On Ice – Mazda CX-5 versus Honda CR-V versus Subaru Forester”.)

It sounds like they will all be shod with the same winter tire model to level the playing field. (yippy) There are too many silly Internet videos purporting to compare the various AWD offerings but that are actually more of a test of the traction of whatever OEM tires the vehicles are equipped with.

Excellent! This article supports what I've been reporting about my experiences with the snow/ice performance of the CX-5. The feeling of direct control is a huge benefit on low traction surfaces because it empowers the driver and enables him or her to provide better and more timely driver inputs which heightens control because, as the article states, "controlling it is to stay ahead of the car that intuitive feel for what is happening in the nano-moments before it happens." This is key when driving on snow and ice and is what sets the CX-5 apart from it's less capable competition.

I think you have just hit on why some say it is great and some say it is awful. Some of us want input from the road / wheels, and direct control. Others just want a car that will keep them out of trouble.

For me, having the feedback and controlling it my self is FUN, and it means that I know when I am getting to close to the edge and need to back off. The cars that clamp on a lot of traction control are great until they aren't. then you leave the road.

BTW A guy on another forum just dumped the CX-5 for a Forester He closed with this " With not much effort at all I could do doughnuts with the CX5. The Forester doesn't allow you to get anywhere close to the feat." "Doesn't allow you" He made the right choice for the way he drives.

Excellent! but would love to see a side by side comparison of the CR-V and Forester!

My daughter-in-law drives a CRV and my daughter drives a Forester and I drive a CX-5, all AWD. They all go in snow quite well, the difference is in the driving experience. The Mazda is a drivers car while the Subaru is a computer controlled transit machine and the Honda is somewhere in between. And that is my opinion after driving each.

I think you have just hit on why some say it is great and some say it is awful. Some of us want input from the road / wheels, and direct control. Others just want a car that will keep them out of trouble.

I agree totally. I don't even try to convince others about the CX-5 because the driving and handling experience of the Mazda is much more joyful for me than for others. I guess that's why Mazda has a small market share, but I'm sure that segment of the market would never shrink too low.

Before getting a DSLR, I tested out several makes (Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony, ...). I settled on a Nikon D5100 because of its sensor performance, its grips, its intuitive controls and customizability. The rest of my family and friends mostly got themselves Canon and Sony of various models. It's pointless for me to point out the difference on sensor performance and handling, nobody cares because they don't post-process photos, they don't squeeze out the dynamic range in RAW, and they don't have to hold the camera for hours like I do. They just need a camera that looks cool, and they went with the most popular brand, and in the end resorted to their phone cameras because the DSLR is just too complex.

I know the above is a bad analogy, but I think that's the same conversation when we talk about the differences between Mazda and other brands. A "common" driver probably couldn't tell how the handling is different from one to another, the best comment my wife can make about the CX-5 is the steering-wheel is lighter/easier than the Accord :-(

Last edited:
Today was the first day I was able to enjoy the CX-5 in the snow. I have new Blizzak DM-V2s on 17 inch wheels. The snow was wet and heavy in the 4-inch range. The ride was wonderful. No slippage on any type of terrain. Stopped on hill at light and starting was like I was on a flat surface. The only negative was when the snow stopped as I was arriving home. I had been planning a reason to give my wife for why I had another errand to do. :)

My daughter-in-law drives a CRV and my daughter drives a Forester and I drive a CX-5, all AWD. They all go in snow quite well, the difference is in the driving experience. The Mazda is a drivers car while the Subaru is a computer controlled transit machine and the Honda is somewhere in between. And that is my opinion after driving each.

What makes them such? Is the Subaru just that much more surefooted?

What makes them such? Is the Subaru just that much more surefooted?

The Subaru controls where and how much power goes to each wheel. Hard to get it to slip or slide even when I wanted to. Kind of boring, but it's good for the daughter, even though she hates it.

The Subaru controls where and how much power goes to each wheel. Hard to get it to slip or slide even when I wanted to. Kind of boring, but it's good for the daughter, even though she hates it.

That can help you accelerate but it does nothing for helping you stop or keeping you from spinning into oncoming traffic. It also doesn't help you dodge oncoming cars spinning out of contol in your lane or a semi-truck that has jumped the median. This is where the driver feedback and handling dynamics of the CX-5 prove their worth and is what the article was referring to. This is where the tuning of the anti-lock brakes and Dynamic Stability Control can help avert disaster. An AWD system designed to be good off-road is not going to be even a slight advantage in avoiding death/serious injury. Subaru's have numb feedback between the driver and the road surface making it more difficult (and less fun) to drive near the traction threshold. The CX-5 is the superior vehicle for driving on treacherous winter roads.

Neophyte snow drivers put far too much emphasis on the acceleration aspect of various AWD systems apparently ignorant of the fact that the "getting going" is rarely ever the problem regardless of the AWD system. I've never had a problem getting going, it's all about maintaining control of your vehicle. It's about braking and turning. And I'm not even convinced the Subaru AWD system accelerates faster (as if it really matters) on snow and ice. I had a Subaru AWD wagon in the '90's and I certainly hope they've improved them since then because it was a real dog on snow covered roads.

Subaru has put millions of dollars into promoting the capabilities of their AWD but I'm more interested in real world performance than marketing. Marketing is not what keeps your vehicle in control and between the lane markers. But a few people with almost zero experience driving in hazardous winter conditions think they know more than seasoned experts that have driven 40-50 different setups in a wide range of winter conditions. It's ridiculously silly!

That can help you accelerate but it does nothing for helping you stop or keeping you from spinning into oncoming traffic. It also doesn't help you dodge oncoming cars spinning out of contol

Back in the early 70s there weren't many FWD cars out there. Those of us who drove them would remind one another to watch out for FWD hypnosis. What we meant by that was FWD didn't fishtail when you accelerated so you weren't reminded it was slippery...... until you put on the brakes. Then they stopped like any other car. The other thing we told one another and our kids that we were teaching is that you can't steer a car with the brakes locked up. The wheels must be turning.

When you are in a skid, and the rear end is coming around, it takes practice and a strong will to not touch the brakes. Even more will to GENTLY apply gas. I still go out after the first snow and practice these things to get them back into my reflexes. Then I practice hand brake turns, just for fun. Grin

Back in the early 70s there weren't many FWD cars out there. Those of us who drove them would remind one another to watch out for FWD hypnosis. What we meant by that was FWD didn't fishtail when you accelerated so you weren't reminded it was slippery...... until you put on the brakes. Then they stopped like any other car. The other thing we told one another and our kids that we were teaching is that you can't steer a car with the brakes locked up. The wheels must be turning.

When you are in a skid, and the rear end is coming around, it takes practice and a strong will to not touch the brakes. Even more will to GENTLY apply gas. I still go out after the first snow and practice these things to get them back into my reflexes. Then I practice hand brake turns, just for fun. Grin

Can't do hand brake turns with the 2016 CX-5!!!

Back in the early 70s there weren't many FWD cars out there. Those of us who drove them would remind one another to watch out for FWD hypnosis. What we meant by that was FWD didn't fishtail when you accelerated so you weren't reminded it was slippery...... until you put on the brakes.

I don't understand "FWD hypnosis". I've driven at least 8-10 FWD cars on snow/ice covered roads and not one of them made it difficult to tell the drive wheels were slipping under throttle. Agreed, they held straight and true (assuming the road did not have a strong camber), but you could instantly tell how limited your traction was based upon how easily your front wheels broke traction under throttle.

Yee-ha! Yes, good training. One reason overly cautious people never become skilled winter drivers is because they never push it hard enough to learn something. Just make sure you choose a safe area to practice (play).

Can't do hand brake turns with the 2016 CX-5!!!

Have you tried it? In my experience hand brake turns require good timing but not much modulation of the brake lever. As long as the electronic brake deploys quickly, it might work.

Have you tried it? In my experience hand brake turns require good timing but not much modulation of the brake lever. As long as the electronic brake deploys quickly, it might work.

The 16 has a electric parking brake no lever. Even on my 14 I can only use it with traction control off, otherwise the computer cuts power way down on the drive wheels.

Back