Key Fob Battery - Short Life

:
2017 CX-5 2.2D Nav Eternal Blue Mica
I tried search and couldn't really find this.

My Key-Fob battery is only lasting 2 months maximum, even if I use the spare key kept in a drawer I get a message on the display that the battery is low?

The original battery in my daily key-fob lasted 3 years. Since October though I've replaced the battery twice, and now advising needs to be replaced again. The batteries are of the same spec as the original, and I'm buying a reputable brand, not cheap imports.

I'm wondering if the car is telling me lies, or is something pulling the power?

Anyone else finding this, or come across it and found a solution?

Alex

If your replacement batteries lasts only a couple of months but the original lasted 3 years, and you're getting name brand, I believe your replacement 2025's are either out of date or counterfeit products.

You got longer than I did :eek:P. My cx-5 2-16 is 3 weeks old and had the low battery message yesterday. Just replaced it. Hoping it really doesnt suck the life out of them too quickly and it was just a bad battery. Oh well I may just buy in bulk on amazon since they are cheap.

Are you using something like an Energizer brand? I've got bitten by bad stock/no-name batteries from eBay.

Still on stock batteries here so they can last longer.

Are you using something like an Energizer brand? I've got bitten by bad stock/no-name batteries from eBay.

Still on stock batteries here so they can last longer.

As I said in the opening post, not using cheap imports from E-bay. Used Superstore own brand first time, currently I'm using a Panasonic, expiry date on packet Aug 2018 and lasted less than 3 months. Next time will be Duracel.

Maybe where ever you are keeping the fob they are in contact with something that keeps pushing against the buttons to cause the battery to drain

Batteries on my 2013 lasted for the three year period of my lease with over 30,000 miles. Batteries on my 2015 are a year, and a half with no problem as of yet.

Bad batch of batteries perhaps. Happens to the name brands too.

As I said in the opening post, not using cheap imports from E-bay. Used Superstore own brand first time, currently I'm using a Panasonic, expiry date on packet Aug 2018 and lasted less than 3 months. Next time will be Duracel.

Try and get one with an EXP Date that is further out... like 2025 or such...

You haven't said what type of battery you are buying. Those button batteries are available with different chemistries. Make sure you are getting Lithium batteries! Brand name is nice but the technology used is import and check use-by date.

Odd, I've never replaced a key fob battery, and I had some that were still going strong after 9 years of ownership.

knocking on wood now....

2+ years on my original and use it many times a day. When necessary, I will replace with a name brand battery and be VERY careful l not to touch the top & bottom surfaces. Ed

Odd, I've never replaced a key fob battery, and I had some that were still going strong after 9 years of ownership.

knocking on wood now....

Unfortunately you won't get that kind of life out of these smart key FOBs. I think the best on my Infiniti with a smart key is about 3 years.

Unfortunately you won't get that kind of life out of these smart key FOBs. I think the best on my Infiniti with a smart key is about 3 years.

True. Keyless fobs are always awake and searching for signals. Old school key fobs only consumed battery power when you actually pressed a button.

My CX-5 fob battery has been changed once in 3.4 years. You will notice it getting weak when it's cold out or your fob was left in a particularly cold place because battery voltage declines when it's cold.

The temperature will affect the life of the battery too. Being in Southern California I don't have any issue on a normal basis with mine, but when I take a trip to Mammoth I have low battery issues

Thanks for the replies guys. I have gone lithium this time. Key is always in my pocket when out of the house, and in a warm room otherwise, so cold shouldn't affect things

Going to keep an eye on it, and if you hear nothing on this for some time issue must have gone away.

My 2015 CX-5 was purchased 05/2014 and the original FOB just displayed a Key Battery Low message on the Multi Information Display (MID). Did not know which size battery it took so had to find it buried on page 6-36 of the owner's manual. I had a spare CR2023 already but the Mazda takes the CR2025. Both are 3V and both look identical. Not willing to chance it, I went out and bought a pair of Energizer CR-2025. The price for a single CR-2025 was $5.99 or $7.99 for the twin pack at Walgreen's. OEM battery is a Panasonic.

I was curious as to the physical difference between the 2032 and 2025. They are the same diameter but the 2032 is thicker and has a higher capacity - rated at 240mAh vs. 163mAh for the 2025. After 21 months I only have 9300 miles on my CX-5. I do store and carry the key fob near my cell phone which usually has Bluetooth turned on so I suppose that could contribute to the drain a bit.

I love the keyless start/entry features on newer cars but the battery is another bit of added maintenance which needs to be performed. I had a '91 Mazda B-2600 I bought new which I actually wore the key and/or the driver's door lock tumblers down. It got difficult to unlock the door the last couple of years I drove it. The CX-5 replaced the B-2600.

Last edited:
I'm a bit curious if it's maybe not a battery issue, but a signal issue. So I replaced my battery on my new CX-5 after 3 weeks. New battery in I get the same message a few days later. WTF Right? Well I used the RF signal to start it and keep going. Works fine for another two weeks with the same battery. I get the message again. This time I just sit there, the message disappears after a few seconds I try to start it again and it starts right up and going on another week. So I'm wondering if at times while in the vehicle it is getting blocked or just not recognizing it for a few seconds.

Back