2016 CX5 competition, impression, etc.

Pototoy

:
2016 CX-5 GT with tech
New Owner here. Picked her up last Saturday.

Overall a really nice CUV for $30K (AWD GT with Tech). However there's a lot to improve

*Bose SUCK!
*noisy engine, interior, NHV is not good
*AC, heat doesn't adjust (down) when you do voice command
*headlight not that good, I wish it was HID's.
*transmission is jerky

OK, OK, I like the CUV but I wish there's a better competition, but there's none in this category.

Also, I test drove the new Sorento. It was way better, like way better in driving dynamics. the suspension was a revelation-- just test drive it guys! BUT it's KIA so I didn't buy. :D

sorry, I didn't proof read. hehe. grammar and spelling police please rescue

if HID are anything iike on cx 9 you have nothing to wish for. Try 65W variety of h11 bulb from OSRAM. Makes noticable difference. If that is not enough, aftermarket HID kit will do the job

Is the Ac/Heat suppose to adjust to voice commands? Didn't think that was a feature.
Headlight not good???? You have the tech package meaning you have the upgraded LEDs for headlight. They do not suck. Are you sure you have the tech? They are unanimously loved by everyone.

But congratulations on the purchase.

^that's correct. Its LED headlight. No I dont like it. My previous car turns down eveything, like blower, audio volume when making voice command. Kinda neat small feature but helpful. Just imagine the blower is at full blast when saying something ...

^that's correct. Its LED headlight. No I dont like it. My previous car turns down eveything, like blower, audio volume when making voice command. Kinda neat small feature but helpful. Just imagine the blower is at full blast when saying something ...

Just curious, what dont you like about the LED lights? They're instant on, as bright if not brighter than HIDs, and will last longer than you probably even have the car.

And yeah, never heard of such a feature. It's cool, but like any voice command feature in a car. I can do it all quicker manually.

I agree there are areas that can improved but it still stands above the competition in the areas that matter (to me.) Kia Sorrento has better dynamics? How much is a comparably equipped Sorrento these days anyway- 40ish I believe..Haven't driven updated one but the old one rode like garbage. Again, what has a better engine/transmission at the price? NVH- ok it could be better but this engine shines in the bottom half of the tach anyway.
Bose suck? Disagree there I think its pretty damn good for not boasting a sub and I'm not that fond of most Bose products- not as good as my X1s HK system but it doesn't suck- and bluetooth works better than BMW's...My RWD X1 Msport is way faster with slightly better dynamics (its lower, smaller) but in terms of feel- Mazda nails it.
What did you have previous to CX5?

Last edited:
Just drive the new sorento and I swear you'll be surprise! Of course choose the mid trim EX V6 or the EX turbo 4, that way its also in $30k ballpark. They are actually discounting it really good. But I chose my zoom zoom :D

I had 2015 Acura TLX

That was quick I know Hyundai/Kia has been improving exponentially but I still like your choice:) - TLX gone already?

Yeah, sedan doesn't work for us.

I really loved the TLX, wish all car brand will go for dual clutch transmission.

We looked at the new pilot and oh boy, dealers are selling it at MSRP ! ��

How was new Pilot? Wife had '12 and I couldn't trade it in soon enough- no real issues just a big pig w/gas, brakes, tires. We traded for HL XLE- a much nicer family vehicle better at almost everything- Pilot had more robust AWD- felt more planted in snow but HL w/Blizzaks does just fine:)

Last edited:
Highlander was top on my list too. Unbelievable though, dealers are not offering much discount. I think the XLE in my area goes $37-38k. I was hoping they were discounting it aggresively because it's been out in the market for couple of years.

Anyway, I am awaiting on the upcoming CX9, I hope the touring CX9 has a lot to offer with decent price ..

Forgot to mention I have '14 Odyssey and the sticker was like $35-36k and I got it for $31,500 plus 0.9%.

I think if I can get that savings on the HL, I Could have got it instead

Yeah I think we paid like 36.5 for '14 AWD XLE and that was just few months after it arrived. Also awaiting CX-9 arrival- maybe go on it year 2/3. Did you like new Pilot better than HL at even $?

Just curious, what dont you like about the LED lights? They're instant on, as bright if not brighter than HIDs, and will last longer than you probably even have the car.

And yeah, never heard of such a feature. It's cool, but like any voice command feature in a car. I can do it all quicker manually.

I can do voice command of temperature in my Infiniti G35x but haven't used it in years.

Also, I test drove the new Sorento. It was way better, like way better in driving dynamics. the suspension was a revelation-- just test drive it guys! BUT it's KIA so I didn't buy. :D

Interesting...that is the first time I have heard that about the Sorento. Every review I have read says "ride comfort" over handling

New Owner here. Picked her up last Saturday.

Overall a really nice CUV for $30K (AWD GT with Tech). However there's a lot to improve

*Bose SUCK!
*noisy engine, interior, NHV is not good
*AC, heat doesn't adjust (down) when you do voice command
*headlight not that good, I wish it was HID's.
*transmission is jerky

OK, OK, I like the CUV but I wish there's a better competition, but there's none in this category.

sorry, I didn't proof read. hehe. grammar and spelling police please rescue

Something is not right. Have your vehicle checked once or go at night and do another test drive. I am yet to find another car with better headlights. Beautiful cutoffs, amazing clarity, strong beam, adaptive.
Transmission jerky? Not sure I have read that before. It's very smooth in my 2016. I know it revs down badly when in SPORTS mode. Check if you're in SPORTS mode by any chance. It should not be jerky. Mazda is known for smooth transmissions.

I rent a lot of vehicles because of business trips and I usually get a compact or mid-size SUV. I even got another CX-5 once, though it was 2.0L and FWD with 17" wheels (I have a 2.5L, AWD, 19") so it felt very different. I have driven all the usual suspects and nothing quite comes close to the driving experience Mazda provides. I have not, however, driven a luxury SUV, so there is that aspect I am missing.

The Bluetooth system has bugs, the Nav system is (barely) serviceable, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but the drive components are solid and it is fun as heck to drive.

I rent a lot of vehicles because of business trips and I usually get a compact or mid-size SUV. I even got another CX-5 once, though it was 2.0L and FWD with 17" wheels (I have a 2.5L, AWD, 19") so it felt very different. I have driven all the usual suspects and nothing quite comes close to the driving experience Mazda provides. I have not, however, driven a luxury SUV, so there is that aspect I am missing.

The Bluetooth system has bugs, the Nav system is (barely) serviceable, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but the drive components are solid and it is fun as heck to drive.

Most of the issues in the 13-15 were fixed with a bluetooth module update. 16 and on and have a completely different system that works fairly well.

Most of the issues in the 13-15 were fixed with a bluetooth module update. 16 and on and have a completely different system that works fairly well.

I have the update and it still isn't perfect, but definitely serviceable. I have used the 2016 navigation system and it is better, though the lack of live traffic seems to have ruffled some feathers. But I think the point I was trying to make is still valid, it lacks some of the interior refinement of other makes but the driving experience is top notch.

Back