2013-2016 2.0 CX5 - Recall 8915K - Emissions

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT
I just got the notice on Friday. Mazda is recalling certain 2013-2016 2.0 CX5s and 2014-2015 2.0 Mazda3s for a lack of power during hard acceleration in cold weather. The PCM can incorrectly detect a misfire when accelerating in high rpm and wide-open throttle below 32 degrees due to software logic. This can cause the car to go into fail-safe mode.

Seems to be a pretty simple fix...software reflash. I'm setting up an appointment for next week.

Last edited:
My son has a Mazda 3 and received his recall today. He has an oil change appointment Thursday and the letter just states to show give it to the SA and the software reflash will be done.

I have not done many WOT accel. Let alone in sub 32F.
I guess I might get the letter.

Curiously, it seems that not all 2.0 from these model years are covered by this. Our 2015 Mazda3 with a 2.0 shows no pending recall. I have no idea what the difference would be - some cars before and after the build date are covered.

EDIT: Aha, I found the recall letter. It involves 2.0 engines built before April 2015. Ours was built in April.

Last edited:
Got the PCM recall notice in mail. I'll get the computer update when I have the chance but not rushing. Doesn't get to 32 degree weather here and my wife doesn't drive in WOT. Just glad I don't have to deal with the fuel line recall.

Stuff like this scares me. Maybe because I'm used to Chrysler. My Grand Jeep Cherokee had a recall because the circuit board in the transfer case could crack, and allow it to slip into neutral when remote started, creating a roll-away vehicle. Jeep put out a software update to prevent this...

...which disabled 4WD low, and Neutral on the transfer case. Randomly. Sometimes immediately...sometimes months after the recall. By the time I sold my Jeep, they still had no fix for it, and I had bought a new FDCM module out of a wrecked Jeep in Canada and installed it in place of the one that had been "updated" with the function-deadly software.

So yeah, software changes scare me, perhaps illogically, but they do.

Software updates are one of the easiest things a dealer can do. If an update caused problems, it would be easy to install earlier update. Your laptop automatically installs updates every few days for windows, browser, flash, and just about everything on there. Software updates are a good thing.

Back