Skyactive 2.p0op Emission recall (ECU reflash)

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Hi there is a recall out for 2.p0op L skyactives of the 14-15 MY. It relates to this issue "Lack of power under hard acceleration during cold weather".
You can check your VIN here. http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayRecallOwners.action

If you are tuned, at least with OVTune, you are to send him an email after you get the update (for an ECU dump presumably). If you are tuned by someone else, you should have them recalibrate your new dump file.

According to a OVTune customer, some 2.5's are also affected, so it won't hurt to check your vin.

Actually this has caused some drivers to go into limp mode. A couple on the m3r forum one guy even complained about this a few months before this recall to no avail, finally ended up getting a software update, but ended up selling the car after the situation.

Got a recall notice for our Mazda 3 with the SkyActiv 2L. However, this is only with temps below 32F and in WOT. This is not common here, and we don't drive it to the snow (that's what the CX-5 is for).
Does not seem to apply to our CX-5 with the 2.5L.

Got it done. Didnt notice any power increase...

Will see how it goes one of these 10 oF days next week.

Yea. 2.0L is way underpowered for this heavy car...... 0-60 at 9.6sec is very optimistic. Feels more like 12secs.

Likely going to swap it for a civic 2016 Si sedan or accord sport 6spd as alternative

Last edited:
Got it done. Didnt notice any power increase...

Will see how it goes one of these 10 oF days next week.

Yea. 2.0L is way underpowered for this heavy car...... 0-60 at 9.6sec is very optimistic. Feels more like 12secs.

Likely going to swap it for a civic 2016 Si sedan or accord sport 6spd as alternative

I just cannot give up high seating position any longer... I can look over a civic or accord.... much safer and relaxing and less surprises.

no power loss or increase. My mpg has went up considerably this past tank, but that's purely because it's been in the 40's the last few days

I believe the issue was limited to high rpm @ wide open throttle so I would imagine the update would only affect that part of the map. If it did lose power it would be necessary to test it near redline, wide open to notice anything. It could have more power if they richened it slightly to avoid the issue. Or, they may have changed what parameters trigger limp home mode.

Back