Protege5 build help?

:
Mazda protege5
Ok so Ima get this out there I'm 18 and still in school I have an yellow 02 p5 and god damn do I love driving it. I would like to slowly build it up and make it a decent street racer. Now I have no money and a very small amount of mechanical knowledge. Most of my car experience came from working on old trucks with my grandfather and restoring my 76 dodge b-200 caravan. So the ideas I had for my protege were k n k cold intake, lsd axle(yes I know it's fwd I've found a site that builds them specifically for p5s) and then yes a turbo. I'm open to all ideas just shoot the more I learn the better. IF ANYONE HAS ANY KNOWLEDGE ON RWD OR AWD SWAPS I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT

Keep it on the track. You'll only be embarrassing yourself. and you might as well not hurt anyone while you do it. And also street racing tends to be just drag racing, but from a roll. So drive type doesn't really matter. So technically fwd would be at an advantage because of the weight difference. And are you going to buy the intake before or after you put in the turbo?

Keep it on the track. You'll only be embarrassing yourself. and you might as well not hurt anyone while you do it. And also street racing tends to be just drag racing, but from a roll. So drive type doesn't really matter. So technically fwd would be at an advantage because of the weight difference. And are you going to buy the intake before or after you put in the turbo?

I disagree completely, moving or not weight transfer is weight transfer. Coupled with the fact a tire that doesn't turn(ie rear) is more forgiving of tire size.

A stated though, the P5 probably isn't the best platform to build a street kind out of. You're going to bolt on an intake, and ******* exhaust and run around thinking you're king of the streets when in actuality you're just another *** street racer.

My advice is this. Pick a very specific goal. Research what it takes to meet that goal and go from there. Don't buy parts more than once, meaning buy the part you need and is correct, not just whats available.

My second bit of advice is this, building your DD gets real old, real ******* fast. Have a DD, and a toy.

I was referring to our cars specifically. From a 30 roll we dont make enough power for it to matter. Even if boosted, the added weight and power loss of any other drive type would only hinder you.

Don't street race. There's no reason for it and you will lose every time. These cars are so much fun at autocross, and autocross is so easy to set up. I did my first autocross a few months ago. It was literally a parking lot with cones. I beat an ecoboost fusion, a 99-04 mustang 5.0 and an e46. It was a really tight slalom that favored light cars with tight steering/suspension. The only fwd car ahead of me was a Mazda2. a ferrari 360 showed up too.

(Autocross?) and by street racer I just meant a decent daily that can beat the local Hondas. I understand this call will never be a rocket without some serious money. I personally hate the exhaust I have on it right now, I'm trying to get a nice exhaust silencer to cut down on the weed wacker rice burner sound it has goin on. I recently looked up some threads of guys doin a lot of weight reduction and that seems like a very cheap way to help get some speed. Any suggestions?

Also would an lsd destroy my engine if I have abs? Or if I don't?( does the p5 even have abs?) I've tried researching it but I can't find a definitive answer anywhere

Dollar for dollar you need to turbocharge to get any decent power out of this cat. Expect to spend $5-$10000 depending on how much work you can do yourself.
And msp turbo statem bolts on and makes 50% more power but still only 170 at the crank on a new car. Expect a forged bottom end to handle more boost to make more power. Expect rebuilding your transmission with an lsd and hardened gears to handle more thank 300hp. Expect exitic transmission stiffeners to handle more than $300.
Expect everything to be custom made cause protege aftermarket is very limited.

This website is the library for modded proteges. If you cant find it here you either need to look harder or figure out how to do it yourself.

Ps. It would be cheaper to just buy a used wrx or similar car to get the same power. No one builds proteges because it is sensible or financially equatible to other vehicles. We do it cause everyone has a wrx or similar ha. Orwe really like the proteges characteristics. Build it to corner fast. Something its good at. A moderate boost in power is fine but dont be expecting to race with anything with even 250 factory hp in a straight line.

I figured 300whp is about where I would max out on this build. I heard with an lsd p5's are really nice at speeding out of the turns but im still a bit confused on how that would affect the engine, wouldnt it stall the engine if it had abs and i slam the breaks?

Lsd has nothing to do with abs at all

I figured 300whp is about where I would max out on this build. I heard with an lsd p5's are really nice at speeding out of the turns but im still a bit confused on how that would affect the engine, wouldnt it stall the engine if it had abs and i slam the breaks?
No... and lsd helps tie the wheels together. It has zero ******* effect on the engine.

Lsd in fwd really helps with diffing out during accelleration mid corner to corner exit. In a straight line it only makes a difference if traction is poor or you dump the clutch and force a large amount of weight transfer to the rear quickly.
Lsd will be a free open dif under no load and will lock up as more load is applied. So when your braking and setting up for the corner you will have lots of off throttle steering entering a corner but when get back on it will lock and give mire midcorner steering on the throttle.

Has nothing to do with abs at all abs is per wheel and the dif isnt locking under braking.

alright thanks a friend told me it would seize the engine so i thought i would look into it and ya i know what an lsd is XD although thanks for the link.

Never said he was the sharpest tool haha I just thought it was worth looking into I'm not trying to put money into parts only to find that I ****** up and now I have to go back and buy new parts I'm too poor for that haha. I've made a kinda half assed list of would I would like to do, do you guys have anything to add or change on the list feel free this is my first build and I'm not afraid to admit I'm short on knowledge (pardon my stupidity XD)

-Pistons
-rings
- rods
- crank
-camshaft
-valves
-exhaust manifold(would a Mazda 3 turbo manifold be a good fit if I plan to turbo?)
-exhaust silencer
-short shifter
-lsd
-headers
-injectors
-gaskets
-bearings
- intercooler
- radiator
-turbo
- blow off valve
-piping
Anything you guys can add change or input your advice would be great

Your first post said no money and no knowledge of cars. You need one of those two things first. Knowledge is free so poke around this forum for a bit. Your 14 year old car might need some repairs before you do any of those things on your list. Best thing to start with is handling. It really seems like all you care about is going fast first. Everyone on this forum, myself included, will tell you to improve handling and brakes first.

If you really want mods, spend some time on google and look up these things.
1) tokico blue struts
2) yellowspeed coilovers
3) rear sway bar
4) protege fitment guide (tires)
5) Hawk HPS brake pads
6) mazda protege MP3 ECU flash
7) racing beat exhaust

Things to know about this car (Google this too)
1) EGR problem
2) seized brake caliper
3) rust
4) tires

And no, a mazda3 turbo exhaust manifold will not fit.

I'll even make a list of bad mods..
1) Cold air intake does nothing but sound
2) HIDs in reflector housings blind other drivers
3) Catback exhaust gains 5hp for $500 (racing beat dyno proven)
4) ebay headers are hard to install and don't give a proven hp gain

Last edited:
Indeed. Stop hanging outwith that friend.

Back