1 year later

Bob-Loblaw

:
2016 CX-5 GT
Thought I'd check back in after a year of ownership. I bought the car in early February, 2015 fresh off the boat and still parked in the back lot. I must say I'm still in love with this car. Every time I see it in a parking lot as I'm walking up to it I think to myself, "that car is bad ass". It's got about 11,000 miles and I have had only 2 problems with it:

After 6 mo. or so the plastic clasp on the console armrest snapped off so the lid/armrest was stuck in an open position because it's spring loaded. They tried to give me the run around at the dealership saying the part was back ordered but I made them take the lid off of another model and swap it out. Now instead of slamming the lid shut I've taken to pressing the open button while closing the lid to avoid the male part of the plastic slamming in to the female part. No big deal.

More peculiar though is that near where the physical lock button would be on my drivers side door panel discoloration began to occur. It started turning kind of whiteish, about the size of a cookie. I have no idea what caused it but during an oil change I mentioned it to the dealer and they did something to make it look better. Not perfect but better.

Other than that the car has been a dream. MPG monitor says 25mpg. 90% city driving with a couple road trips thrown in. Anyways if anybody has any questions feel free to hit me up. I'm already looking down the road at a Tesla Model 3 and handing the CX-5 down to my daughter in 5 years. The car is garaged at night, covered during the day and hand washed by me at least twice a month. Still looks brand new.

Last edited:
Thought I'd check back in after a year of ownership. I bought the car in early February, 2015 fresh off the boat and still parked in the back lot. I must say I'm still in love with this car. Every time I see it in a parking lot as I'm walking up to it I think to myself, "that car is bad ass". It's got about 11,000 miles and I have had only 2 problems with it:

After 6 mo. or so the plastic clasp on the console armrest snapped off so the lid/armrest was stuck in an open position because it's spring loaded. They tried to give me the run around at the dealership saying the part was back ordered but I made them take the lid off of another model and swap it out. Now instead of slamming the lid shut I've taken to pressing the open button while closing the lid to avoid the male part of the plastic slamming in to the female part. No big deal.

More peculiar though is that near the physical lock button on my drivers side door panel discoloration began to occur. It started turning kind of whiteish, about the size of a cookie. I have no idea what caused it but during an oil change I mentioned it to the dealer and they did something to make it look better. Not perfect but better.

Other than that the car has been a dream. MPG monitor says 25mpg. 90% city driving with a couple road trips thrown in. Anyways if anybody has any questions feel free to hit me up. I'm already looking down the road at a Tesla Model 3 and handing the CX-5 down to my daughter in 5 years. The car is garaged at night, covered during the day and hand washed by me at least twice a month. Still looks brand new.

Possibly had a plastic solvent on your hands. A good candidate for this is DEET found in bug repellent. Have to be real careful with that stuff, it'll eat right through clearcoat too if you spray it on near the vehicle.

Thanks for stopping by and posting. I recognized your name. You posted frequently when you first purchased your CX-5 while I was still in the shopping/research phase. Really liked all the pics you posted at the time. (thumb)

I do have a question. A friend and I both purchased CX-5's around the same time past Spring.
I garage mine, his is parked on a street. I suggested he buy a car wrap. Car wraps are not common in the NYC Metro area, I don't know why? When I visited S.F. over the decades they seemed common.

I once read on this forum that car wraps can do more harm than good. Supposedly sand, dirt, dust, etc. get under the wrap and with any cover movement scratches the paint.

What has been your experience with using a car cover?

Howdy Bob,

So great to have you check back in and let us know how things are going. Sounds like
all in all a great experience.

I've had mine about 5 months now, stays in the Garage, and have had two pretty decent Road Trips
in it and it performed so well. I'm retired now so it doesn't get out and stretch it's legs everyday, but like
you it makes me smile every time I go into the Garage, or when I'm out and walk across the parking lot
and see it. I came from a Ford F-150, had it for 14yrs, babied it to the point almost didn't let it go, but have
to say, once I got my new CX5 GT AWD I never looked back or even thought about my Truck<G>

Hope you'll check back in and let us know how things are going. I have to say I was on this forum day and night while
I was searching and waiting for the right Model year and right price and Thanks to all of Y'all that
was realized and was everything that I'd wanted and more.

Take Care, Zoom Zoom ,

Craig

...What has been your experience with using a car cover?

I bought a California Car Cover, Superweave model. If you scroll down a bit this link will tell you about it. http://www.calcarcover.com/howtoselect

In short, I love it. The parking lot where I work there is literally only a chain link fence separating it from a major freeway, I-5. I quickly discovered that at the end of every day my car was covered in dust. The cover is worth it's weight in gold. Takes about 2 or 3 min to put it on, and maybe 1 minute to take it off and store it. It's very light and a bit slippery so it glides across the car effortlessly. I feel like this helps to prevent any damage from putting this cover on a less than sparkling clean car. It's light enough to be washed in a regular clothes washer which I do often. It comes with a storage bag that's fairly large but I could stuff it in a much smaller bag if I needed the room. And just like the feeling I get seeing my car in a parking lot, I get the same sense of satisfaction seeing my baby covered and protected from the elements.

I've owned my for over three years and 25k miles. I totally get the "that car is bad ass" comment...I feel the same way everytime I walk to mine after work. It's been a fantastic car. One issue when I bought it, cracked headlight, which was due to the dealer or port. I've done all my own maintenance and have a lifetime mileage of 29 to 30mpg. I have not had issues with discoloration, so that is very likely the plastic coming in contact with some sort of solvent.

Bob, thanks for reporting back. I also remembered when you bought your car as I bought the same one - Blue Reflex mica, GT with the tech and i-active sense pkg. Also bought at about the same time, early March.

Following along with your theme... I enjoy the ride today as much as I did on the first day. I have about 18,000 miles with about 25mpg. My only issue has been with cracked windshield - twice. Once overnight, it cracked around the rear view mirror area. This covered under warranty by the dealer. The other crack was a rock hitting the windshield while driving on the highway. That was covered by insurance.

Good to hear how it's treating you, but..."that car is badass"? I have a hard time making it past that statement.

Good to hear how it's treating you, but..."that car is badass"? I have a hard time making it past that statement.

I get that comment too. Might be because of the "best Red in the business" paired together with the 2016 black GT rims. It's a pretty slick look, even though it's a CUV.

Only if you get old AND wise.

Some people get old and angry. Unfortunately, that's the path your on. But there is still time to change that.
Bah! I was born jaded, but I'd far from "angry". However, I just can't equate a cute little econo vehicle with "badass". Maybe a Harley. Or Viper. Or F350. Or something like that... but a cx5?

Bah! I was born jaded, but I'd far from "angry". However, I just can't equate a cute little econo vehicle with "badass". Maybe a Harley. Or Viper. Or F350. Or something like that... but a cx5?

Everything is relative.

I'm talking about it being parked in your average grocery store parking lot among a sea of vehicles that mostly do nothing to stir the soul. For me it's about the stance, just looks aggressive, and the lines are appealing, the color gorgeous, wheels even look better than most. I'm in south o.c. but even here, don't see too many Vipers at Ralphs.

Back