Oil Filter Wrench

:
K2500 Diesel Suburban; 2016 CX5 GT
Ok.. This might sound petty but I need to get another wrench to remove the oil filter on my cx-5. I have two of the strap type and both are too big. Heading to autoparts tomorrow to see what's available. Is anyone using a different type of tool to remove the spin on oil filter? Not much room to get the strap around the filter and twist. I know it should only be hand tight but mine didn't budge. Thanks. Steve

This is what I was buying but was told it wasn't for spin on filters? It was for filter housings of some sort. I tried one in Autozone on a filter for the cx-5 I took off their shelf and the tool got stuck on the filter. The tool was just a bit too big and it snapped/clicked onto the filter and I couldn't twist if off. It was their smallest size 65/67 MM. 14 FLUTE Do you or anyone know the correct size to get? I saw one on Amazon that says it fits the Mazda but it's 75.6MM 14 FLUTE. If the 65/67 was too big this isn't going to work either. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

If you are just trying to get the filter off once (like the original one that came with the vehicle) just use brute force (e.g. - long screwdriver punched through the side of the filter, large jaw wrench, etc.). Then just hand-tighten the new filter and you should be able to remove it by hand when the time comes. My 2. (cheers2)

This is what I was buying but was told it wasn't for spin on filters? It was for filter housings of some sort. I tried one in Autozone on a filter for the cx-5 I took off their shelf and the tool got stuck on the filter. The tool was just a bit too big and it snapped/clicked onto the filter and I couldn't twist if off. It was their smallest size 65/67 MM. 14 FLUTE Do you or anyone know the correct size to get? I saw one on Amazon that says it fits the Mazda but it's 75.6MM 14 FLUTE. If the 65/67 was too big this isn't going to work either. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Then the filter wrench you were trying was just a tad too large. There should be one that fits perfectly. Maybe Autozone was out of the correct size. Try another store. Or do what minnesotaart suggests. Only problem I have with that is that my hands get slippery even though I have shop towels handy. I'm always afraid that I won't get the new filter on quite tight enough with oily hands. I use the cap type filter wrench (discussed above). I spin the new filter on by hand until it touches the base. Then I hand tighten and use cap type wrench to tighten the filter another 3/4 of a full turn. That has worked for me for years.

I just tried another autozone and this time I bought with me the Mazda OEM filter I purchased. It fit perfect in the same size wrench that the Mobil 1 got jammed. Thanks for all the input!

Yeah not all cap-type 14-flute 65/67-mm oil filter wrench are the same as you have found out. I ordered a "genuine" Mazda oil filter wrench with the oil change kits from Med Center Mazda. Turned out that Mazda oil filter wrench IS the CTA A255 wrench available at Amazon with a lot cheaper price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
71MboxDZXKL._SL1500_.jpg

Only problem I have with that is that my hands get slippery even though I have shop towels handy. I'm always afraid that I won't get the new filter on quite tight enough with oily hands. I use the cap type filter wrench (discussed above). I spin the new filter on by hand until it touches the base. Then I hand tighten and use cap type wrench to tighten the filter another 3/4 of a full turn. That has worked for me for years.

No oily hand problem for me as I use these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Best disposable gloves ever! :)

I have the one in Ride92's first link. I've had it so long I don't remember buying it. It's the only one I use, or even own anymore as far as I can recall. Trucks, cars and motorcycles filters all come off with ease, assuming I even need a wrench. Usually I don't need one but if I do that one is a champ. Works best on the the flats of a filter, as opposed to the round part of the filter body.

Last edited:
Added to my Amazon Save List.
Also added to Amazon Save List.
Apparently you like collecting tools... :)
I do the same, now too many tools and wife is complaining a lot.

BTW, the CTA A255 oil filter wrench is very sturdy and fit Mazda OEM oil filter very well. I had no problem to loose the very-tight, factory-installed oil filter during my first oil change. Besides, I usually keep the original oil filter for the souvenir and by using the cap wrench it won't get damaged.

Apparently you like collecting tools... :)
I do the same, now too many tools and wife is complaining a lot.

BTW, the CTA A255 oil filter wrench is very sturdy and fit Mazda OEM oil filter very well. I had no problem to loose the very-tight, factory-installed oil filter during my first oil change. Besides, I usually keep the original oil filter for the souvenir and by using the cap wrench it won't get damaged.

Nah I usually save stuff to my Amazon or Ebay save list, research and compare later when I have the time, then purchase the 1 tool chosen.

I use oil filter pliers that the dealership left under the hood of my wife's mazda 2 after they did an oil change.

Back