CX-5 First Oil Change and she's low?

:
K2500 Diesel Suburban; 2016 CX5 GT
Hi. I'm coming up on my first oil change at 7500 miles. I pulled out the stick and noticed I'm at the bottom mark. I would think it's about a quart low. Does that sound normal? Do Mazdas use oil like the Subaru's? I don't recall checking it when I purchased the car but I'm guessing I would have just cause I'm that way. Also purchased from a reputable place so I would guess they would have made sure she was topped off. Thoughts? Something to worry about? Thanks! Steve

Sounds ok to me

Hi. I'm coming up on my first oil change at 7500 miles. I pulled out the stick and noticed I'm at the bottom mark. I would think it's about a quart low. Does that sound normal? Do Mazdas use oil like the Subaru's? I don't recall checking it when I purchased the car but I'm guessing I would have just cause I'm that way. Also purchased from a reputable place so I would guess they would have made sure she was topped off. Thoughts? Something to worry about? Thanks! Steve

I do not think Mazdas use oil like Subarus do/did. Remember your engine is new and everything is still seating...like rings.

Watch it after the change and do not let the dealer overfill! Not to worry!

Since you cant concretely recall checking when new you can't really make a conclusion. If the oil is between the low and high mark your oil level is within spec and there is no cause for concern. The two points represent the normal zone.

Thanks. I'm doing the change myself so I won't overfill. Was starting to wonder if I should let the dealer do it so he can record how low it is in case it turns into a problem. I thought these new engines seat themselves much quicker.. not like the old days. That's why they don't have a break in period and an oil change after the first 500 miles.. I could be wrong.. I hope so..

Not like the old days...

Thanks. I'm doing the change myself so I won't overfill. Was starting to wonder if I should let the dealer do it so he can record how low it is in case it turns into a problem. I thought these new engines seat themselves much quicker.. not like the old days. That's why they don't have a break in period and an oil change after the first 500 miles.. I could be wrong.. I hope so..

Correct! Not like the old days, MUCH quicker..., but there is still some break-in going on..see your manual!

Since you cant concretely recall checking when new you can't really make a conclusion. If the oil is between the low and high mark your oil level is within spec and there is no cause for concern. The two points represent the normal zone.

(iagree)

No cause for concern. Just check it more often than 7500 miles until you verify that it's not using oil.

WOW, my owners manual suggest checking level at each oil change. I was checking frequently during the first 5,000 miles or so. It would be a good thing to get it the habit of checking every 1K or so IMO. Ed

It should be checked more often than 75000 miles. It only takes a few seconds and causes no harm.

To put your mind at ease the dealership doesn't fill the oil to the top line. On my 2015 GT I decided to check the oil level just before my wife took it in for the 7,500 mile oil change and noticed it was one half notch below the top line and asked her to tell the service department about that. They told her it hadn't burned any oil and when she got back home I checked it and sure enough it was exactly one half notch below the top line.

I was alarmed at first because I had cancelled a Subaru Outback order after learning about the class action lawsuit for burning oil and thought the same thing was happening with Mazda. When Subaru says it is "normal" to have add a quart of oil every 800 to 1,000 miles between oil changes you know they are covering something serious up.

To put your mind at ease the dealership doesn't fill the oil to the top line. On my 2015 GT I decided to check the oil level just before my wife took it in for the 7,500 mile oil change and noticed it was one half notch below the top line and asked her to tell the service department about that. They told her it hadn't burned any oil and when she got back home I checked it and sure enough it was exactly one half notch below the top line.

I was alarmed at first because I had cancelled a Subaru Outback order after learning about the class action lawsuit for burning oil and thought the same thing was happening with Mazda. When Subaru says it is "normal" to have add a quart of oil every 800 to 1,000 miles between oil changes you know they are covering something serious up.
Every manufacturer says that. It's the industry standard.

We have two subaru's in the family and my son lost his motor to a no oil situation.. sometimes they have to learn the hard way no matter how much you try to teach them... anyway I decided to stay away from Subaru's for the oil use reason too. Wanted to make sure the Mazda wasn't going to do the same. Thanks for the responses everyone!

I'll check my manual but nevertheless Mazda doesn't have a lawsuit where the owners actually have to add several quarts of expensive synthetic oil between changes. Subaru changed their oil changes to 6,000 miles because of that problem. That is totally unacceptable.

Last edited:
My experience on the 2.0L and 2.5L SKYACTIV motors, has shown that between oil changes the oil level will almost hit the bottom mark on the dipstick before each 7500mile change.

Which is equal to ~0.10 to 0.12 quart per each 1000 miles...

For those that have owned oil burners like rotaries, BMW's, or Subaru Boxers, this will seem very strange.(nervous)

I monitored the oil consumption during my first 3,600 miles. It too used some oil. Probably ended up adding about 1/5 of a quart. Had the oil changed at 3,600. That was around 6.5 months since purchase. I want to make sure it gets changed in the Mazda recommended time-frame during warranty.
I continue to check it and after another 1200 miles the dipstick still shows full.
So it looks like it used a little during break-in.

My experience on the 2.0L and 2.5L SKYACTIV motors, has shown that between oil changes the oil level will almost hit the bottom mark on the dipstick before each 7500mile change.

Which is equal to ~0.10 to 0.12 quart per each 1000 miles...

For those that have owned oil burners like rotaries, BMW's, or Subaru Boxers, this will seem very strange.(nervous)
My experience is similar to yours. At 5,073 miles for the first oil change with Mazda moly oil, our CX-5 consumed ⅓ quarts of oil, or ⅓ below the Full mark on dipstick, since new. I was a little disappointed as all I saw were people swore their SA-G's burn no oil. And our '98 Honda CR-V with 178,000 miles burns less oil than our brand new CX-5. And the CR-V is using cheaper conventional Castrol oil from day one.

I guess little oil level dropping on SA-G is much better than oil rising issue on SA-D. (whistle)

When we picked up our special-ordered CX-5 just unloaded from the truck, I checked the oil level right away. I was surprised the level was at ⅓ below the Full mark on dipstick. I checked another new CX-5 and the oil level was the same. When a friend of mine bought a CX-5 a month later I also checked the oil level. What a surprise the oil level was the same too, ⅓ below the Full mark! It almost feels like Mazda intentionally under-filled the oil for all new SA engines just to save some money! I bought a bottle of Mazda moly oil and topped it off as I feel better to keep the oil level at the full mark and easier to monitor how much oil been consumed.

Yes, I'd worried if myr oil level went down to the Add mark. Keep checking the oil level more frequently and try to use Mazda moly oil next time. But even if your SA-G burns some oil the Mazda will tell you it's normal. The industry standard is using 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles is considered normal!

It should be checked more often than 75000 miles. It only takes a few seconds and causes no harm.
It should prolly be changed more often than that too! (boom08)
I monitored the oil consumption during my first 3,600 miles. It too used some oil. Probably ended up adding about 1/5 of a quart. Had the oil changed at 3,600. That was around 6.5 months since purchase. I want to make sure it gets changed in the Mazda recommended time-frame during warranty.
I continue to check it and after another 1200 miles the dipstick still shows full.
So it looks like it used a little during break-in.
How come you guys don't utilize the Flexible Maintenance oil change schedule? As long as you use Mazda moly oil or Castrol oil, just wait for the "Oil Change Due" message. It can be up to 10,000 miles or 1 year until the oil change message popping up and there is no worries on warranty issue. Not to mention this also prevents unnecessary early oil change which increases the oil wastes.

Back