At which point low fuel indicator kicks in?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
My low fuel (petrol/gas) indicator kicked in today. Does anyone know at how many gallons it kicks in? I know total tank size is 14.8 and I know there's this screen which shows distance left till empty, nevertheless its good to know. Many cars it kicks in too much in advance and in many with just a gallon left. I checked owners manual could not find it.

First, since you have an AWD your fuel tank size is 15.3 gallons. For my FWD, when the low fuel warning light comes on, I have approx. 3 gal. left. When the DTE says 0, I have about 2 gallons left. Both warnings are very conservative.

Like Brillo said, the AWD has a bigger tank. And my results mirror Brillo54's as well. ~3gal remaining at the Low Fuel indicator Light, and ~2 left when DTE hits 0 miles.

My low fuel (petrol/gas) indicator kicked in today. Does anyone know at how many gallons it kicks in? I know total tank size is 14.8 and I know there's this screen which shows distance left till empty, nevertheless its good to know. Many cars it kicks in too much in advance and in many with just a gallon left. I checked owners manual could not find it.

The exact volume remaining when the display says "0 miles to empty" is not disclosed in the owners manual. In other Mazda literature it says there are 2 gallons remaining at that point and that is consistent with my experience of driving over 40 miles past that point without so much as a hiccup.

Why not just fill the tank and subtract the difference? That will tell you how many gallons were left. 15.3 gallon tank, minus 13.3 gallons (or what ever amount you filled) = 3 gallons left! It might be off a bit depending on how picky the auto shut off is at the pump but it will be close enough to have an idea. 3ish gallons left and about 25-30mpg would get you about 75-90 miles. I'd play it safe and say 75miles to find a gas station.

I called up Mazda. They put me on hold and then came back with these numbers:

Total size: 15.32 gallons
Warning light: 12.32 gallons
Needle at EMPTY with Distance remaining at 0: 14.32 gallons

I don't think I'd accept the last part.... Today, my fuel light came on but when I filled it up I got 14.4 gallons. Needle was NOT in empty.

The manual states to fill up when it gets to 1/4 tank. Warning light comes on with 3 gallons remaining. There is a good reason these are so conservative. The CX-5 has two fuel pumps and one is 900psi for direct injection that costs $500. If it runs dry there is a good chance of damaging it. That is why you should never let tank get close to empty. Obey the warning light and then "miles remaining" on dash display.

Why not just fill the tank and subtract the difference? That will tell you how many gallons were left. 15.3 gallon tank, minus 13.3 gallons (or what ever amount you filled) = 3 gallons left!

You're sure? (wink)

math_zpseorx65ky.jpg

Read your owners manual. If you want an accurate reading, take a gallon gas can with you and run the tank dry. Report back with your data. :))

The manual states to fill up when it gets to 1/4 tank. Warning light comes on with 3 gallons remaining. There is a good reason these are so conservative. The CX-5 has two fuel pumps and one is 900psi for direct injection that costs $500. If it runs dry there is a good chance of damaging it. That is why you should never let tank get close to empty. Obey the warning light and then "miles remaining" on dash display.
Thanks. This is good to know. I just wanted to know so that I can be sure, just in case.

WHAT an ODD thing TO be SO concerned ABOUT.

(flash)

I am NOT concerned about it. It's something I would like to know, especially after needle hits zero and distance to empty is also zero, is it really zero? That's all. Furthermore, I suspected there might be more to it and its now apparent there's a 2nd. fuel pump and running it empty is asking for trouble in the long run. I don't know but I think I am confident that many are not aware of it.

Read your owners manual. If you want an accurate reading, take a gallon gas can with you and run the tank dry. Report back with your data. :))

Let me know where in the owners manual it actually tells the user what's available after distance to empty = 0 and needle is at zero?

Back