Rear Privacy Glass - can it be made darker?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
My GT edition comes with the rear tinted glass. But the tint is rather nominal. Wondering if I can further tint it down to 5% visibility. I am NOT planning to tint the trunk window any further OR the front windows at all. Can I put on top of the glass a new tined film bringing down the visibility to 5% or even lower (if possible)?

Last edited:
Not a problem. We added additional legal tint on our side and rear windows and the sunroof. I'm going to add much darker tint to the SR to keep from cooking the top of my head in hot weather and to the top 6" of the windshield to reduce glare.

Code:
Not a problem. We added additional legal tint on our side and rear windows and the sunroof. I'm going to add much darker tint to the SR to keep from cooking the top of my head in hot weather and to the top 6" of the windshield to reduce glare.

Thanks. Detailer told me he can put 5% tint, no issues. I am also putting the 6" @ windshield. But thanks to you, I'll go ahead and put additional tint on the SR. Good idea. Missed it.

Watch the sunroof tint though...I don't think that glass is heat tempered.

I'm in NY and did 5% over the factory tint as well as the front windows and the 6" strip. I love it

Watch the sunroof tint though...I don't think that glass is heat tempered.

Please elaborate. We've tinted sunroofs in our last three vehicles with absolutely no issues.

Only place they "go by law" is in NYC and upstate. Half the cars have limo tint and a fully tinted windshield and don't have issues. Besides tints are a secondary offense so you have to speed or something else to get a tint ticket

I have gotten pulled over with 20% tint for the front windows (matched rear) in NYC. I wasn't violating any traffic laws either. If they want to hunt you, they'll hunt you (luckily I got out of that ticket).

Nowadays, I have 10% front tints and rear overlaid with 20%. A bit of a hassle to open my front windows whenever I see an officer, but the pay off for heat rejection and privacy is definitely worth it.

In NJ, 100% transparency is the requirement for front windows. Don't know about other states but it depends on the city you are in. If the city's broke then the cops are "deadly". Having a tint means you get a ticket. If the city's rich, then have 100% or 0%, everything's okay....

I believe it's based upon we here you live. For example, here in South Carolina, a car can only legally go like 30% on any window except front windshield. Now SUV's can have whatever tint % on rear windows, the front doors are at 30% max tho....... But I'm just saying I got 15% all around ..... I hate 2 tone tint. New York state limits it to like 47% at max anywhere. Know your state laws before you waste money or get a senseless ticket. You cannot get a ticket out of state for tint or really any state specific law BTW.

But with mine, its get-awayable since it looks lighter due to light from front windshield. Also if you get pulled over and your riding dirty with darker than legal tint... Just roll your front windows down =D.

It also is to note, from my days of 5% all around tint, and Even more "noise pollution" and few speeding pull overs when I was young and dumber, ( still do the music and tint lkl ) having a veteran tag helps every time. I'm not saying join the army, get deployed, and all to get out of the blue light specials, but it is awesome perk! But I don't do anything too wrong either...

Back