question about 2016 navigation system

axel2078

:
'16 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD & '10 Mazda 3 iTouring
I used the navigation system for the first time in my '16 CX-5 today and it was not as intuitive as I thought it would be. It took nearly 5 minutes to figure out how to get it to allow you to select a city in a state other than the one you are currently in. (I had to go back into the menu and select U.S. as my country....even though it was already selected.) Anyway, I remember reading in the quick start guide that the touch screen controls are blocked once you start driving, so you'd have to use the commander knob. Not a biggie, but I noticed that several of the navigation features were still grayed out even when using the commander knob, such as the ability to input a destination to navigate to. Is this expected behavior? I can't remember how it was worded in the menu now, but I think the option to navigate to a location was grayed out and I had to stop and put the vehicle in park before I could use it. I'm guessing there are some things they don't want you doing while driving...even with the commander knob. I also could not find a way to turn off the navigation once I was close to where I needed to be. I couldn't find it in the menu selection anywhere and anytime I went to a screen other than the navigation screen and then pushed the navigation button on the commander console, it just took me right back to the navigation screen. Is there a way to turn off the navigation when you no longer need it on (when you are close enough to your destination)?

Dear Axel:

i cannot answer the question of exactly which functions are accessible by commander knob vs. touchscreen (info is probably in your nav manual and/or trial-and-error). however i do have some quick answers to other things you mentioned:
1) agree that it is annoying that you have to scroll to "United States, <STATE>". since i live in NJ and travel to NY and CONN a lot, i have to change the state and it is annoying. but i see no easy way around this.
2) you can select the "Cancel Guidance" option on the Nav menu bar. it is looks like a destination flag with an "X" on it. once you turn the knob to it, it is say "cancel guidance" when you push the knob.

1) agree that it is annoying that you have to scroll to "United States, <state>". since i live in NJ and travel to NY and CONN a lot, i have to change the state and it is annoying. but i see no easy way around this.
2) you can select the "Cancel Guidance" option on the Nav menu bar. it is looks like a destination flag with an "X" on it. once you turn the knob to it, it is say "cancel guidance" when you push the knob.

I've only used the TomTom on my 2013 and it's the ONLY major thing I don't like about the car. It sounds like the newer NavSys is just as deficient. I quit using it and am a happy camper (without built-in GPS).

Just repeat this phrase over and over:

Wherever you go, there you are!

</state>

Dear Axel:

i cannot answer the question of exactly which functions are accessible by commander knob vs. touchscreen (info is probably in your nav manual and/or trial-and-error). however i do have some quick answers to other things you mentioned:
1) agree that it is annoying that you have to scroll to "United States, <STATE>". since i live in NJ and travel to NY and CONN a lot, i have to change the state and it is annoying. but i see no easy way around this.

I thought there must be some kind of cancellation option, but I didn't see it anywhere. When the map screen was up (navigation active), I noticed a little triangle in the lower left corner. I couldn't push it since the touch screen was disabled I guess and I could not seem to get the commander knob to navigate to it. All I ended up doing was zooming in and out of the map. Once I got to my destination and the navigation stopped, I went back to the map and I was able to select the little triangle in the lower left via the touch screen. That is the "hide buttons" option, which hid a bottom row of option buttons, one of which is the flag with the x by it to cancel navigation, as you mentioned. That is a bit aggravating. Are those buttons hidden by default, or did I accidentally hide them? Not being able to unhide them until I was parked is pretty annoying.

please read/google on this. There's a tweak extremely easy to apply thru a USB stick which gives back to you full control even if you're driving at 100 mph. Cancelling a route already present: already answered. It's a good navigation system with sufficient controls and usability. Trust me: in car navigation is usually crap everywhere and thus I am surprised at how good it is.
Make sure you have the latest Infotainment version and the latest maps. Please check this and Google.

I've only used the TomTom on my 2013 and it's the ONLY major thing I don't like about the car. It sounds like the newer NavSys is just as deficient. I quit using it and am a happy camper (without built-in GPS).

Just repeat this phrase over and over:

Wherever you go, there you are!

</state>

Buckaroo Banzai fan?

Buckaroo Banzai fan?

No, LOL! This phrase was on the cover of my favorite guide book to touring Mexico on the cheap in the 1980's. But I bet that's where the author got the phrase from.

I thought it appropriate here because the Nav system is very good at locating you in the center of the screen but very poor at showing you where that actually is in relation to other roads in the region. It might be suitable in a city but I like to tour the backroads where it's useless.

No, LOL! This phrase was on the cover of my favorite guide book to touring Mexico on the cheap in the 1980's. But I bet that's where the author got the phrase from.

I thought it appropriate here because the Nav system is very good at locating you in the center of the screen but very poor at showing you where that actually is in relation to other roads in the region. It might be suitable in a city but I like to tour the backroads where it's useless.

Wrong answer! Just kidding.

Another line from the movie suitable for an auto-forum: "Feet, do your stuff!"

I've yet to try out the Navigation, so I can't comment on it at this point in time.

I love the new nav system. I wish I knew how to get the traffic info like in the TomTom or is that not possible?

I was able to use voice commands to cancel navigation while driving. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I just said "Cancel Navigation". I also found that voice commands worked surprisingly well to input a destination. I did this while parked, so I'm not sure if you can use voice commands to input a destination while driving.

You must have an awesome accent. There are many, many threads where its pointed out the voice commands are the weakest ever seen in any navigation system.... for me: it never, ever works.

There are many, many threads where its pointed out the voice commands are the weakest ever seen in any navigation system.

I guess they haven't tried my 2016 Accord's voice system or Siri through CarPlay.

Our CX-5 is less frustrating...(though far from perfect)

I love the new nav system. I wish I knew how to get the traffic info like in the TomTom or is that not possible?
I don't know if the US nav is the same as the UK one although I don't see why it wouldn't be but here we have to connect the car to a smartphone wifi hotspot to get live traffic. Traffic incidents are updated through the FM radio but live display/re-routing etc on the nav screen is via the wifi connection. It strikes me as a ridiculous way of doing things & a backward step from the GSM link that I believe the old TomTom system had.

P.S new user & first post so hello everyone (hi)

I don't know if the US nav is the same as the UK one although I don't see why it wouldn't be but here we have to connect the car to a smartphone wifi hotspot to get live traffic. Traffic incidents are updated through the FM radio but live display/re-routing etc on the nav screen is via the wifi connection. It strikes me as a ridiculous way of doing things & a backward step from the GSM link that I believe the old TomTom system had.

P.S new user & first post so hello everyone (hi)

NJoy. In US, we don;t even get live traffic AT ALL!! There's a HD Traffic which is rather useless since it relies on historical data. Some Mazda blah-blah-blah with legal/liability/etc.

please read/google on this. There's a tweak extremely easy to apply thru a USB stick which gives back to you full control even if you're driving at 100 mph. Cancelling a route already present: already answered. It's a good navigation system with sufficient controls and usability. Trust me: in car navigation is usually crap everywhere and thus I am surprised at how good it is.
Make sure you have the latest Infotainment version and the latest maps. Please check this and Google.

This is very interesting. I didn't even know you could enable full touch control. I did some googling on this yesterday, but my google-fu failed me, as it just came up with information about the navigation or audio system itself, or how to play music through the USB port. Do you have any recommended key word searches to hit on this?

Back