Long Lasting Wax/ Sealant

holyninja3

Contributor
:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, Moonroof/ Bose and Tech package
Long Lasting Wax/ Sealant/ coating

I posted a reply in another thread on this, but I figured I would make one dedicated to this rather than all cleaning purposes.

I am looking for a long lasting wax or protective sealant for the car body. I do not mind something that takes a while to apply, but I would like it to last as long as possible (looking like a year? I don't know, if I did, I wouldn't be here) and be quite durable. I don't want to break the bank and take it to a dealer that will do the coating, it is expensive, but some kind of cheaper DIY to that would be nice. I have heard some mention to products that are almost "self cleaning" as dirt and water seem to roll off. this would be a plus as I do not hand wash and wax much.

Let me know what you got!

Last edited:
. Migliore Ultimo Clay Towel: For cleaning the car. Although $$$, lasts FOREVER multiple iterations. It lasted me literally 5 years, twice yearly.
2. Migliore Strata Coating: Fantastic finish, extreme hydrophobic. Lasts like new even after 15 months. Best part: dust/water literally falls off the surface and my 8 year old is able to apply it! Bottle lasts 2 to 3 times.
3. If I have to go to some place and I need a really glossy finish (for example: when I take my wife to meet her parents, ugggh) ... Migliore Endurance Spray Quick Detailer

Without hesitation, the Zaino sealants -

http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Z&Category_Code=polishshine

Have been using them for over 15 years and haven't found anything that matches them in durability. Very easy to apply once the surface is prepped, can be layered for extra shine & longevity. A bit expensive for a "boutique" product that is not available in retail stores, but a very little goes a long, long way, so the price with the amount used per application evens out the price in the long run.

What ever you decide on, you will find the synthetic sealants are a better bet for durability than the carnauba based waxes, which give a nice wet shine appearance, but don't hold up in the long run.

. Migliore Ultimo Clay Towel: For cleaning the car. Although $$$, lasts FOREVER multiple iterations. It lasted me literally 5 years, twice yearly.
2. Migliore Strata Coating: Fantastic finish, extreme hydrophobic. Lasts like new even after 15 months. Best part: dust/water literally falls off the surface and my 8 year old is able to apply it! Bottle lasts 2 to 3 times.
3. If I have to go to some place and I need a really glossy finish (for example: when I take my wife to meet her parents, ugggh) ... Migliore Endurance Spray Quick Detailer

Just looked up that Migliore Strata Coating. Looks great! Definitely a contender for me. Good to hear you can get multiple uses out of it for the cx5

Need to consider Optimum Gloss Coat. 2 yr expected protection for the consumer version. The 5 yr coating is sold through the registered detailer channel only. All purpose cleaners won't remove the coating, which is pretty awesome. Prepping the paint is key and there are plenty of vids and reviews to see on Autogeek or Autopia. You don't need a polisher to apply either. It "flashes" dry while applying. Looking forward to applying it in the spring myself.

http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Z&Category_Code=polishshine

Have been using them for over 15 years and haven't found anything that matches them in durability. Very easy to apply once the surface is prepped, can be layered for extra shine & longevity. A bit expensive for a "boutique" product that is not available in retail stores, but a very little goes a long, long way, so the price with the amount used per application evens out the price in the long run.

What ever you decide on, you will find the synthetic sealants are a better bet for durability than the carnauba based waxes, which give a nice wet shine appearance, but don't hold up in the long run.

^^^ This.

I've also been using Zaino since 2003.

I second ZAINO. I've used it for years. The best sealant/wax out there and easy to use.

You are going to get as many answers as there are brands under the sun
To be expected, but it gives me some recommendations as a starting place which is very helpful to make an educated decision.
I had used Zano Pro in my other car. It lasts approx. 6 to 8 months.
Interesting, I would have figured this one would have lasted longer.

Zaino looks great for lots of customizability in terms of layering and gloss and everything... I am not sure if it is a fit for me for a few different reasons, but it will remain as a bookmark to return to in the future I think, looks like a great product.

I am most interested in CQuartz, Optimum Gloss Coat 2 (Opti-Coat 2), and Migliore Strata out of the suggestions. How difficult are they to upkeep? Do you just add another layer or do you strip it off? Of course wash and clay.

I vote for a polymer based protectant called NuFinish. ~ $7 at AP and Walmart's. Long lasting, offers UV protection he in FL, and fairly easy to use. Been my standard for 15 years and have found nothing is better overall. Ed

I am looking for a long lasting wax or protective sealant for the car body. Let me know what you got!

Collinite 925. Lasted so well on the sloop (wax only before spring launch) that I tried it on the truck. Yielded only an acceptable spring shine, but water beads until the next one just before winter; so now that's what I use for the truck. Note that this is not the product I use for my summer ride(MX-5) where appearance is more important to me than longevity.

Brian

To be expected, but it gives me some recommendations as a starting place which is very helpful to make an educated decision.

Interesting, I would have figured this one would have lasted longer.

Zaino looks great for lots of customizability in terms of layering and gloss and everything... I am not sure if it is a fit for me for a few different reasons, but it will remain as a bookmark to return to in the future I think, looks like a great product.

I am most interested in CQuartz, Optimum Gloss Coat 2 (Opti-Coat 2), and Migliore Strata out of the suggestions. How difficult are they to upkeep? Do you just add another layer or do you strip it off? Of course wash and clay.

There is not any upkeep with Optimum...no layering of other products either. It's a set it and forget it deal. If you want to remove it for whatever reason before it is dead, you have to polish it off.

CQuartz is kind of like Opti-Coat in that you need to properly prepare the paint before application. It is a permanent hard coating.

I've been hearing good things about the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond coating V2.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pinnacle-paint-coating.html#.VpPbxZVIjIU

Lasts up the 3 years and is easy to apply. I will doing either this or Optimum gloss coat come spring.

For something a little less intense and will last along time the Ziano stuff is good and the Collonite products 476,875, and 915 are all good waxes with outstanding durability to get you thru the winter months.

Best stuff I've ever put on a car....lots of elbow grease but it's worth it...make sure you take some tugs of JD Old No 7 while you're doing it....deep deep shine....

Back