Curt trailer hitch on sale

pmill

:
2016 CX-5 GT
Just wanted to give anyone looking for a hitch a heads up, autoanything has the curt class 3 hitch 20% off, then another promo code EJA1608 for another 20% off, plus free shipping. I didn't think it would allow me to use the additional promo code, but to my surprise it did.

My total ended up being $102.39, cheapest price I've found since I've started looking. Beats Amazon's price on both the class 3 and class 2. Now I just need to find a decent bike rack.

If this post is against forum rules for advertising or what not, please delete. Wasn't sure or not, but wanted to get people a good deal.

Xcellent - just bought it. Also, will use Mazda's towing wiring harness.

Xcellent - just bought it. Also, will use Mazda's towing wiring harness.

Do you know if Mazda's wiring just ties into the rear taillights for everything or it actually draws power from the battery? I am using the Curt wiring harness that is plug-n-play. Works well without anything issues, but it doesn't draw power from the battery which I honestly would prefer it did. Luckily I am not towing anything that has massive amounts of lighting.

Do you know if Mazda's wiring just ties into the rear taillights for everything or it actually draws power from the battery? I am using the Curt wiring harness that is plug-n-play. Works well without anything issues, but it doesn't draw power from the battery which I honestly would prefer it did. Luckily I am not towing anything that has massive amounts of lighting.

The OEM harness draws power for the trailer lights from the battery with a separate fuse. Curt has one of those as well

No problem. I forgot to add, the promo code expires January 10th, so it's this weekend only

Did you get the class II (#12080) or class III (#13127)?

I'm thinking going with just the lighter one (II), almost half the weight, enough for the capacity of the CX-5. There're bike racks as well as 2" ball for 1-1/4" receiver so I think the 2" tube with added weight is not really needed.

And thanks for posting the coupon code!

I went with 13127, class 3. I was thinking of going with the smaller one, but some of the bike racks I've been looking into require 2" receiver. I know they make adapters, I just figure it'll be more sturdy going with 2".

Edit: If I was only going to be carrying one or two bikes, I probably would have gotten the smaller, class 2 hitch. But I'll be carrying 3 bikes, possibly 4 in the future.

Last edited:
I have carried only two bikes, and I rarely tow something. After reading through a bunch of forums (mostly recommending the 2" receiver), as well as scouting for 1-1/4" bike racks, I finally pulled the trigger on the smaller one (class 2). The advantages are mostly on the lighter weight, a little less visibility of the receiver sticking out from the bumper, and a tiny bit more ground clearance. The installation probably will have to wait till summer. Again, thanks for the coupon.

Sillyxone: Very true about the weight and visibility. Not a problem posting the promo code. I've received plenty of help so far on the forums, so it's the least I could do.

My install will have to wait till spring as well. Won't be needing it till then anyway.

I went with the (CURT) 2" receiver and love it. The marginal weight difference is not an issue IMO. More importantly I wanted the flexibility of having access to more optional extras that only 2" receivers offer. In particular I added a step hitch which I wanted for 2 reasons: to protect my CX-5 bumper/tailgate from being hit by other vehicles and to access my roof when washing/chamoising.

Don't leave the step or anything else in the receiver for any length of time I twill rust in place and become permanent.

Back