I keep blowing fuses

oldspicejet

:
mazda cx-5
Hi Guys. 2015 CX-5 Touring here

Apologies for my amateur questions but I keep blowing car fuses every time I plug my electric cigarette socket tire pump. At this point i have blown both socket fuses. What can I do to improve this situation?

Which type of fuses should I buy as there are different mini type. Also I'm trying to tap a fuse for a dashcam install and again don't know which size to order. I mostly just charge my phone with the cigarette lighter but also want this pump to not die on me before i finish off all 4 tires. What number fuse should i put in there. I think current ones were 15. thanks

Honestly, fuses are there for a reason. I trust Mazda's engineers more than I do those of your cheap air pump (unless it costs more than your Mazda...).

My solution?

Get the correct fuses from the dealer.
Get a different air pump.

Your compressor might be sticky and hard for the motor to turn. I agree, replace the pump before you replace the fuse with higher threshold.

I have one of these.

http://www.superflowair.com/hv45-new/

The compressors battery was weak a few days ago when I aired up all 4 of my winter tires. So, I had it plugged into the 12V outlet in my console armrest and added about 5psi to all tires with no blown fuses.

Hi Guys. 2015 CX-5 Touring here

Apologies for my amateur questions but I keep blowing car fuses every time I plug my electric cigarette socket tire pump. At this point i have blown both socket fuses. What can I do to improve this situation?

Which type of fuses should I buy as there are different mini type. Also I'm trying to tap a fuse for a dashcam install and again don't know which size to order. I mostly just charge my phone with the cigarette lighter but also want this pump to not die on me before i finish off all 4 tires. What number fuse should i put in there. I think current ones were 15. thanks

you should buy the same amperage as what's in there from the factory.

I have this pump/compressor and I haven't burned any fuses with it.
The manual says to always start the compressor before connecting it to the tire.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-69284.html

if your pump continues to flow fuses even if you turn it on prior to connecting the air hose, you should get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
My pump never blows a fuse. Check the current rating of the pump. Back when fuses were glass cylinders, "slow blow" fuses would prevent device surges from blowing fuses. Don't think these new plastic fuses are available in "slow blow" versions. Just buy another smaller pump.

My pump never blows a fuse. Check the current rating of the pump. Back when fuses were glass cylinders, "slow blow" fuses would prevent device surges from blowing fuses. Don't think these new plastic fuses are available in "slow blow" versions. Just buy another smaller pump.

Fuses used to be to keep you from melting wires. Now it's probably about frying more sensitive things. Just my guess on it.

You can buy an outlet at a car parts place and use alligator clips to attach the power wire directly to the battery so the car is not involved. Put an inline fuse at whatever size you need for the pump. You could even cut the plug on your pump off and put the alligator clips on there and attach the clips to the battery. It will either pump or burn up...

My pump never blows a fuse. Check the current rating of the pump. Back when fuses were glass cylinders, "slow blow" fuses would prevent device surges from blowing fuses. Don't think these new plastic fuses are available in "slow blow" versions.

Even worse, you used to be able to wedge a penny in there. Now they've redesigned the fuses to be "McGuiver resistant". (lol2)

Even worse, you used to be able to wedge a penny in there. Now they've redesigned the fuses to be "McGuiver resistant". (lol2)

Which is good. I remember my 1988 mustang GT. When you ran the fog-lamps and the head-lights on "HIGH", for more than about 30 minutes, you literally got smoke coming out of the dash, I kid you not! Some things are better NOT McGuivered...

Back