Collimate 746S

:
2022 2.5GT
A mate on the RAV4 forum swears by this stuff

IMG_1840_zpsf6jrtf48.jpg

Its is dead easy to apply as long as you dont let it dry and leaves a wet look shine that is said to be very durable. I will of course report back at some stage. This is it on my Soul Red CX-3;

IMG_1839_zpsfqyoa05j.jpg

IMG_1838_zpsqixsn1dt.jpg

IMG_1837_zpspkfidzfm.jpg

Its legit but requires patience to apply. Hence why I use Collinite 845 wax instead which is super easy to apply.

Its legit but requires patience to apply. Hence why I use Collinite 845 wax instead which is super easy to apply.

Even easier? I'll try some but I think this will last ages. I was amazed how easily it went on but I'm told "let it dry at your peril".

I'm thinking of picking up some 845 to try out on the CX-5. Does anyone know how friendly the 845 is with the black body cladding? I've used the Meguairs Ultimate liquid wax and I could "wax" right over the black trim pieces without problem, it looked good afterwards too. I've read some reviews that say the 845 doesn't leave residue on the black trim but wanted to check.

I've had good results with mothers liquid wax. Anyone know how this compares? Frankly I don't know too much about waxes but generally live under the assumption that they are pretty much the same.

I'm thinking of picking up some 845 to try out on the CX-5. Does anyone know how friendly the 845 is with the black body cladding? I've used the Meguairs Ultimate liquid wax and I could "wax" right over the black trim pieces without problem, it looked good afterwards too. I've read some reviews that say the 845 doesn't leave residue on the black trim but wanted to check.

The true way to apply Collinite 845 is to apply a very thin layer. Trust me. Thin is in. Here's Collinite's response to one person with regards to trim:

I am glad the products have been working well for you. 845 will not damage the plastic trim, but sometimes it can leave some undesirable residue if people leave it on too long or do not buff out thoroughly.

So I guess people had reservations on its effect on plastics. On black trim/bumper areas I personally use Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax. Its a cleaner and wax all in one, perfect because of the dirt trapped in the non-slick surface of the trim.

If you want a mind boggling headache, check out the holy grail of Collinite 845 info with 52 pages dedicated to this stuff at http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...45-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax-52.html

Last edited:
476 is their most durable wax--should last 6 months. The trick is to apply it thin, thin, thin!!! I do the whole car then go back and buff off--no problems easy as can be.

I've had good results with mothers liquid wax. Anyone know how this compares? Frankly I don't know too much about waxes but generally live under the assumption that they are pretty much the same.

Waxes are not the same--many that have the label of "Wax" are really sealants which is a good thing. Collinite 476 will last at least 6 months maybe more and is excellent for darker colors -- don't think you'll get that durability from the Mothers. Another great choice is Finish Kare 1000p--a pure synthetic sealant. With two thin coats applied 48 hours or more apart you can't beat the protection and durability --paint seems to self clean during a hard rain and the protection from bug guts and bird bombs is fantastic.

Important thing about sealants is the paint should be squeaky clean so the sealant can bond to the paint.

Waxes are not the same--many that have the label of "Wax" are really sealants which is a good thing. Collinite 476 will last at least 6 months maybe more and is excellent for darker colors -- don't think you'll get that durability from the Mothers. Another great choice is Finish Kare 1000p--a pure synthetic sealant. With two thin coats applied 48 hours or more apart you can't beat the protection and durability --paint seems to self clean during a hard rain and the protection from bug guts and bird bombs is fantastic.

Important thing about sealants is the paint should be squeaky clean so the sealant can bond to the paint.

The thing about Collinite 476, 915, 845, ect. are their durability against the elements. People use Collinite as originally intended on yachts and boats because it withstands saltwater and the sun/rain ect. I know folks even use Collinite on planes and helicopters. Oh and they use this stuff to protect power line cables/ power electrical grid, ect from corrosion.

The thing about Collinite 476, 915, 845, ect. are their durability against the elements. People use Collinite as originally intended on yachts and boats because it withstands saltwater and the sun/rain ect. I know folks even use Collinite on planes and helicopters. Oh and they use this stuff to protect power line cables/ power electrical grid, ect from corrosion.

Yep I am aware of the origins of Collinite products and they are extremely durable-used them many times. However, FK 1000p was originally developed for the mold release industry so that pressure made parts would fall out of the mold when it was opened. So it is very resistant to high temps and chemicals. In my own experience (and many others) it's more durable than the Collinite products and without a doubt protects against etching from bird bombs and bugs left on the paint too long better than Collinite, not to mention it's self cleaning properties (behaves like a coating in this regard). On top of all that it is very inexpensive.

Yep I am aware of the origins of Collinite products and they are extremely durable-used them many times. However, FK 1000p was originally developed for the mold release industry so that pressure made parts would fall out of the mold when it was opened. So it is very resistant to high temps and chemicals. In my own experience (and many others) it's more durable than the Collinite products and without a doubt protects against etching from bird bombs and bugs left on the paint too long better than Collinite, not to mention it's self cleaning properties (behaves like a coating in this regard). On top of all that it is very inexpensive.

Hmm living in a hot environment I may check out FK1000p. I use the spray on method for Collinite 845 and its ridiculously easy to apply/remove all by hand. I add some mixed in distilled water in a spray bottle as others have done in the detailing forums. Only thing keeping me away from stuff like FK1000p is the time/work involved.

Last edited:
Back