Suggestions medium-term car storage over winter

:
2016 CX-5 w/ Tech/Activsense
I need to leave my cx-5 at my parents house for about 4-4.5 weeks coming up in a few weeks and I am looking for suggestions on how to keep it from deteriorating too much from lack of use.

We live in the North East, so its going to be cold. I am due for an oil change (based on months, not mileage) and was originally planning on waiting until I get back, but based on some reading here I may have it done before I leave.

I am undecided about leaving the battery in versus disconnecting it. I am not sure my parents are going to be able to drive around from time to time, so I am leaning toward taking the battery out and leaving it inside.

Should I be using a fuel stabilizer for 4 weeks of sitting? Is there anything in the manual about this that I missed?

IMO...That is fairly short term but gas stabilizer and a trickle charger wouldn't hurt anything.

That is a short enough duration that nothing special is needed. My only suggestion would be to inflate the tires to 40 psi to compensate for the cold and essentially prevent flat spots on the tire.

The CX-5 drains the battery more than older vehicles. My battery was dead on the dealers lot from sitting a month. Top off the gas tank to keep condensation out. Disconnect one battery terminal.

The CX-5 drains the battery more than older vehicles. My battery was dead on the dealers lot from sitting a month.

My CX-5 has very low parasitic drain. Just shut all the doors and lock them. The primary reason batteries die on dealer lots is because they get "inspected" a lot. That's why they keep a variety of them on the lot. Every time the doors are opened computers wake up, lights come on, etc. Some salesmen have a weird fetish of starting the engine and idling it even though they don't intend to go anywhere!

If it becomes a problem .... I'd just throw a battery tender on there when I am away and use the hard-wire piece of the kit for ease of connecting and disconnecting.

720x_BM1510_BatteryMinder_12v_Charger_lg.jpg

720y_BM1510_BatteryMinder_12v_Charger_lg.jpg

I was away for 9 weeks, nobody started the car. Upon my return it started without hesitation. It was quick enough that I couldn't tell whether the battery had run down. (This was in summer - winter would be harder on the battery if it's stored in an unheated area in a cold climate).

Last edited:
Back