Any camper pullers here? What do you got, and what do you recommend?

riff42

:
2016 CX-5 GT. Deep, holy crap that is dark, blue.
After trying to understand what all the things mean in the manual, and how to convert all the info into something I want to pull.....I still have NO idea what max camper I can pull!
I was looking into Scamp Trailers, the 13' Deluxe. http://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/13-deluxe-trailers.html#!Scamp_13foot_deluxe_A_02
It seems small enough. But it's hard to get accurate weights, due to all the add-ons. Plus, I really don't know how much I would be carrying.

So, those of you with experience roadtripping with something like this. How versatile is the '16 CX5 for towing a camper?

After trying to understand what all the things mean in the manual, and how to convert all the info into something I want to pull.....I still have NO idea what max camper I can pull!
I was looking into Scamp Trailers, the 13' Deluxe. http://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/13-deluxe-trailers.html#!Scamp_13foot_deluxe_A_02
It seems small enough. But it's hard to get accurate weights, due to all the add-ons. Plus, I really don't know how much I would be carrying.

So, those of you with experience roadtripping with something like this. How versatile is the '16 CX5 for towing a camper?

You can do it. You will know it is there. You will need trailer brakes and you will want to practice with it and you may want to limit your top speed. More from wind, reaction time, stopping then the cars pulling power but you can do it.

Different engine but still interesting. http://www.thetowcarawards.com/winners/2015-1550-1699kg/

c16d45eb3f2baded4adb61ff33a46ce8.jpg

Its a 2013. I tow 1800 lbs without no problem. I got some electric brakes.

Envoy de mon SM-G900W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

That's mainly due to stricter US regulations on towing and speed limits. Just keep it below 60mph and all is fine.

It's actually the exact opposite, the US has much laxer laws when it comes to towing. I believe you can tow up to 26,000lbs with out a cdl license. That's a lot of weight. There's also no speed restrictions when towing other then the posted limit. In Europe you have to have a different liscense endorsement to pull anything over 10,000lbs and there is speed restrictions when towing. The tougne weight is also different. The USA lawyers don't want you driving 75mph pulling 4,400lbs with 7% tougne weight.

The USA lawyers don't want you driving 75mph pulling 4,400lbs with 7% tougne weight.

Actually, if they are personal injury lawyers, the bigger your attempted load, the better. Then they have an easy case when they sue you.

A friend of mine is a DUI attorney and, before the Superbowl, she noted that she expected a few calls after the big game!

Actually, if they are personal injury lawyers, the bigger your attempted load, the better. Then they have an easy case when they sue you.

A friend of mine is a DUI attorney and, before the Superbowl, she noted that she expected a few calls after the big game!
Ok, so some lawyers want you to do it so you mess up, hurt someone, and they can sue you. But I don't wish that on anyone and Mazda or whoever makes the recommended tow load number doesn't want to get sued

Why are they allowed to tow MORE weight in Europe even though the CX5's are identical??

It's because of the way their laws are setup and the restrictions they have in place. It also has a lot to do with tougne weight of the trailer. Basically because they are much stricter in how you pull your load, they feel you can pull more with a given vehicle and still be safe. Like I said in my earlier post, in Europe you can pull up to 10,000lbs at 7% tougne weight but go no faster then 60mph on the highway and 50mph on all other streets. It all has to do with the tougne weight. The less tougne weight you have the more likely you are to experience trailer oscillating that can not be corrected. With higher tougne weights the towing speed can be increased because the trailer becomes more stable at higher speeds the more tougne weight there is.

The US CX-5 can tow 4,000lbs just like the uk version, same engine, transmission, brakes etc. the difference is that most of our trailers are tougne weighted at about 15% to allow tow speeds of up to 75mph in some areas or what ever the posted limit. And remember we can pull up to 26,000lbs before needing a different liscense to do so. the tougne weight rating for the cx-5 won't allow you to tow 4,400lbs at 15% tougne weight at what ever speed you want. So rather then Changing laws in every state and educating people on how to properly tow a load, cooperate lawyers just set the tow limit very low so people don't do stupid stuff! Because admit it, most people are pretty stupid!

Personally, I think if you weight your load properly, don't go over 60mph and only do it once in a while their will be no ill effects on the cx-5

I have a home-buildt 5 ft. wide 750lb. teardrop trailer camper that I tow with my CX-5. Been across country with it several times and going out again with it this summer up to the Canadian Rockies, PNW, Glacier NP, and back home.

Self-installed class III Curt hitch, no trailer brakes, and it tows like a dream. I hardly notice it's back there. If it weighed more than 1000lbs. I'd have installed trailer brakes and a controller.

That's a good idea but I don't need it with this camper. You only supposed to have 500 lbs on the hitch. I never get some problems even with the trunk full of stuff

Envoy de mon SM-G900W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

Back