Replacing the passenger side mirror - possible to DIY?

rcs914

:
2014 CX-5 GT w/Tech - Meteor Grey
So the other day I was backing out of my garage, which is a tight fit with all the crap we have shoved in there, and I managed to break the mirror frame on the garage door rail (weeps). So all the components still work - the glass isn't broken, the BSM still lights up, the turn signal light still works, the mirror is adjustable, etc. The only issue is that the whole frame is busted up. The rear cap looks okay as well. From what I can tell I can order the part I need (KE40-69-121K) online for about $140 +shipping. To get it from my dealer is $205 + $86 labor, and that's only if they agree that all the parts which are working just fine don't need to be replaced.

I guess I'm curious how difficult the replacement is - do I need to pull off the door panel on the inside to unplug the wiring harness? Or can it all be accessed by unscrewing the bolts from the outside and then unplugging it? Anyone else attempted this? If I can get it done for $150 + a few hours, that's a whole lot more appetizing than spending a minimum of $300.

Thanks for any input.

Chris

So the other day I was backing out of my garage, which is a tight fit with all the crap we have shoved in there, and I managed to break the mirror frame on the garage door rail (weeps). So all the components still work - the glass isn't broken, the BSM still lights up, the turn signal light still works, the mirror is adjustable, etc. The only issue is that the whole frame is busted up. The rear cap looks okay as well. From what I can tell I can order the part I need (KE40-69-121K) online for about $140 +shipping. To get it from my dealer is $205 + $86 labor, and that's only if they agree that all the parts which are working just fine don't need to be replaced.

I guess I'm curious how difficult the replacement is - do I need to pull off the door panel on the inside to unplug the wiring harness? Or can it all be accessed by unscrewing the bolts from the outside and then unplugging it? Anyone else attempted this? If I can get it done for $150 + a few hours, that's a whole lot more appetizing than spending a minimum of $300.

Thanks for any input.

Chris

You can do it yourself. It involves taking off the interior door panel though and takes about half an hour to 45 minutes your first time through. You'll break a lot of plastic rivets holding the door panel on so you need to re-order a couple of those too. If you search the forums for the body shop manuals it has instructions on how to remove the whole mirror assembly.

Back