Adding Speedo HUD to the '16 CX5

riff42

:
2016 CX-5 GT. Deep, holy crap that is dark, blue.
So, I'm about to go on a journey I never wanted to.....I'm going to start playing with Arduinos and make a simple GPS Speedo HUD. I asked my brother if he knew how, and poof, there was a gift cert for Adafruit in my email. Sigh. I guess it's time to start.

I've looked up people doing it, but it always is WAY too complicated, or has too much information, or grabbing from the ODB, which is more wiring. I wanted a simple HUD that has the speed, and that is it. GPS will be a good way to keep the wiring down. I test drove the CX3 that has it, and I loved it. But the CX5 has NO digital speedo...COME ON Mazda!

Anyway, I'll be documenting what I have done, parts, coding, etc etc. Might take me awhile (looks over at shelf with Murano LED projectors still waiting to be put on motorcycle).....but i think it wil be awesome.

inb4: I don't want to use an old smart phone, because apps seem to have more info than needed. I like this idea...plus, my brother gave me a gift cert...might as well use it, right? :-/

So what are you going to use? Are you just buying one off of like ebay?

After a quick prototype, I ended up just throwing my old cellphone with a Simple HUD app into a setup with mirrored tint film on a piece of plexi. It works wonderful, minus it looking like crap right now ;) I'll be making a CF box for it when I get back to work in January. Since it's an old phone, there is no service, meaning no pop-ups, no calls or texts to make it suddenly go bright. Still testing, but it works well at night, AND during the day.

I'll use my Adafruit CG for something else...ha...no idea what though.

Back