2016 CX-5 . Is this a good deal?

cx5ryan

:
2013 Ford Fusion SE 1.6T
Hi,

First off, I recently found out i get a deal through my work with Mazda that equals something like employee pricing. From the site it made it seem like i would get 4% below invoice.

So, i had a salesman at a dealer i have been in contact with run some numbers for me. I was thinking i wanted a black Touring with tech and moonroof/bose package. but then i found out that the Grand Touring isn't much more once i get to that level. so i am trying to weigh that option too.

But they have on their lot now a Black Touring with moonroof/bose package. (not tech package; maybe i can live with out that, though i did want the led lights :/ ).. So he got the pricing settled for that cx5. it is as reads:
MSRP: 28,750
My Price: 26,709 OTD plus tax and dmv..

they said my lease payment will be roughly $352.00/ month.

So it has most of the things i want. but i really did think my price should be a little lower based on my Employer Discount. .. What do you guys think?

Thanks

That is something like employee pricing, but not employee pricing. See my pricing at the end of the what did you pay for your CX-5 thread.

Decent price, but if you say you want the tech package for the led lights, you might want to consider getting it. Last thing you want is to sign all the papers, then regret not having it.

I looked at truecar.com and put in some numbers (guessing at a central CA zip and options to get to your msrp). Looks like a good price for an outright buy but not as good when you click on the lease tab. Also, I'm a fan of the led lights on mine (best visibility I've ever had) and if you want them, don't settle at this point.

Thanks for the input guys. I was a little underwhelmed with the price also. I have 2 local Mazda dealers (5 minutes away, 40 minutes away) that i haven't had put a price together yet. That dealership that was quoting me is a couple hours away. So i will see what else is out there before i make a final deal.

and I agree, i plan on having this car for a while. would love to purchase it for the long term even after lease (if i just don't finance from the start)... so i should get what i want. i do like the tech package and the led lights , etc. ... so my search continues.

cx5Ryan,
I was recently in the same boat as you. I ended up buying a silver Touring with Bose/Moonroof, no tech pkg. Price was a concern for me and I weighed every option and dollar amount. I had initially been trying to stick to around a $25k budget. Took me a long time to decide that the tech pkg was not worth it to me at all. Its a lot of extra bells and whistles that I don't want to be paying extra for or possibly repairing in the future. There's some evidence that the tech pkg sensors put stress on the front windshield and cause cracks in the glass. I'd rather avoid that altogether. The rear camera, blindspot monitoring, and rear cross traffic alert, were the only items I really needed...and luckily those came standard on Touring anyway. The Nav card is great too and the dealer threw the sd-card in for me on Black Friday. You can always buy the card later though, cheaper on eBay. Most of the people on here will rave about the LEDs. Don't succumb to that peer pressure. Honestly, the standard lights and fogs have been perfectly great for my visibility and I'm glad I didn't pay $1485 extra just to get the LEDs in the tech pkg. I think I'm one of the few who also don't like the aesthetics of the LEDs either. They make the front and back end look like "Angry Birds" with eyebrows to me hehe. I was also contemplating whether to get the Bose/moonroof or not. I'm really glad now that I got it. I think the Bose sounds great, not sure why others don't like it. I don't push the volume to high levels though, as I listen to mostly classic rock or sports talk these days. The moonroof was definitely worth getting. I like how the sunlight brightens up the black interior. Can't wait to keep it open when summer arrives.
Once you get to Touring with Bose/Moonroof and Tech pkg...GT is not too far of a stretch in your wallet. So the deciding factor really comes down to if you really want leather or not. I didn't really have to have the leather. I found the touring cloth seats to be much softer and more comfortable actually. Also I liked the ride of the 17 wheels better than the 19s. I did like the look of the two tone wheels though on the GT and wish that style was available on Touring. If you decide on GT, then you start to lose sleep over deciding on going all out on I-Activesense. Once you get there...you are broke and eating ramen soup.
Anyway, I think you can do slightly better than 26,709 if that doesn't include your tax and dmv, so keep at it. Once you add in those taxes it will be much higher. My stupid state taxes were nearly $2k. I say shoot for an OTD of around $27,000 with taxes and everything included OTD. If youre financing, youll probably get an even better deal than I could manage. I sprung it on them the last second that I would be paying cash. Good luck! Here was my breakdown that may help you out:

2016 sonic silver CX-5 FWD Touring with Bose Moonroof
MSRP: $27,225 ($25,215 base + $880 destination fee + $1,130 Bose Moonroof)
Sales Price negotiated: $25,134
Loyalty Credit: -$750 (this dealer actually gave $250 in addition to Mazda's $500 loyalty)
Processing Fee: $397 (I tried my best, but they wouldn't wave this even though I paid cash)
TN Taxes: $1949.12
TN Tags: $106.50
Free Options: Nav SD-card, retractable cargo cover, lifetime powertrain warranty, and also asked for the 2 tie down hooks that are usually missing from the spare tire tray)
Total OTD: $26,836.62 cash

Last edited:
If your local dealer wants your buisness, they should be able to locate the vehicle with your color preference and the options you want, then have it delivered. I purchased my CX-5 last week. Local dealer found fully loaded blue reflex 60 miles away, had it delivered in 2 days at no cost to me.

Hi,

First off, I recently found out i get a deal through my work with Mazda that equals something like employee pricing. From the site it made it seem like i would get 4% below invoice.

So, i had a salesman at a dealer i have been in contact with run some numbers for me. I was thinking i wanted a black Touring with tech and moonroof/bose package. but then i found out that the Grand Touring isn't much more once i get to that level. so i am trying to weigh that option too.

But they have on their lot now a Black Touring with moonroof/bose package. (not tech package; maybe i can live with out that, though i did want the led lights :/ ).. So he got the pricing settled for that cx5. it is as reads:
MSRP: 28,750
My Price: 26,709 OTD plus tax and dmv..

they said my lease payment will be roughly $352.00/ month.

So it has most of the things i want. but i really did think my price should be a little lower based on my Employer Discount. .. What do you guys think?

Thanks

It does not appear to me to be a good deal. I have the exact same vehicle, 2016 Touring w/Moonroof Bose which I purchased in April when they were just introduced and I paid roughly 26,400. The 2016's are soon to become last years vehicle since Mazda will introduce the 2017's around March of 2016. I'd do some more negotiating.
Remember end of the year is less than 2 weeks away. They want those vehicles off their lot and books.

Good Luck.

If your local dealer wants your buisness, they should be able to locate the vehicle with your color preference and the options you want, then have it delivered. I purchased my CX-5 last week. Local dealer found fully loaded blue reflex 60 miles away, had it delivered in 2 days at no cost to me.

Watch out though. Most of the time the dealer wont truck in the vehicle. They actually drive them in from the other dealership and the miles can add up. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want someone else putting all those miles on my car especially during the break-in period. I got lucky; when I bought mine it only had 4 miles on it.

Watch out though. Most of the time the dealer wont truck in the vehicle. They actually drive them in from the other dealership and the miles can add up. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want someone else putting all those miles on my car especially during the break-in period. I got lucky; when I bought mine it only had 4 miles on it.

This is true. I was lucky enough to have mine trailered in. Although it had 20 miles when I took delivery

I'd keep looking. Does your "employee discount" prevent you from any other Mazda incentives? Just something you might want ask a dealer.

My local small volume Mazda dealer is offering 0.9% financing up to 63 months on CX5s. Real quick back of the envelope math says your $26,700 quoted price, with $2k down would give you a $400/month payment. Not too far off from your leasing price... and many others will chime in and say lease-to-own is not a very cheap way to buy a vehicle.

Finally, if you really like the vehicle and plan on keeping it a long time, get exactly what you want, providing you can comfortably afford the payment.

thanks guys.

yeah, i would much rather have it towed in vs driven in. when we baught our 15 Honda CRV, they went (basically unanounced) and picked up and drove the car from another dealership. i think they were concerned we were going to go there the next day for a better deal to pick it up. lol ..... luckily that dealership is only about 45 miles away, so it wasnt that bad.

and as far as the deal, yeah i don't think thats the best i can do. i am going to stick it out for a sweater deal. ..... i believe the discount is supposed to be about 4% below invoice plus any financing incentives. ... but you know how it is , dealers are going to try to find a way to get more money out of you one way or another.

Back