Fell for it - now not sure, have 25 days to cancel. Plz advice

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
When buying the car fell for it and took the tire warranty with enhanced coverage. States will cover road hazard, rentals, blah-blah and damage to wheels like scuff marks more than an inch diameter is also covered. Curb damage is covered. Unlimited # of times, etc., etc. Total cost $595. Just wondering if I should keep it or cancel it since within a month free cancellation period. The terms state everything via some administrator and folks told me its a pain dealing with them (administrators). My logic was the 19" wheels aren't cheap so in case of a damage will pay for itself. But I don't think I'll have a scenario where all 4 need to be replaced. Little confused what to do.

I did not get a great deal on my car. When they made the insurance pitch on the tires, I declined it, and the financing guy offered it to me for $150 bucks. It seemed worth it to me then.

The odds are low you will ever use it. The odds are even lower you will get your moneys worth.
Get the refund, and buy a set of snow tires for the winter.

The odds are low you will ever use it. The odds are even lower you will get your moneys worth.
+1

$595; that's 2, maybe 3 tires right there.. 1 wheel of the OEM is less than that. A curb rash repair is $150 tops. If you think in the last two years $595 of tire/wheel insurance would have saved you money, then it is worth it.. if not, it's a waste and imo it's a waste anyways. And you have to know the details of that insurance; i.e will it over a tire that can be patched instead, is there a criteria for "curb rash" etc..

I tend to refuse that stuff because I do not want the hassle of some annoying robot refusing to provide the coverage and my having to waste more time going up the ladder and writing, calling etc. Depending on how diligent the drivers of the vehicle are might be a consideration. My wife can manage some consistent curb damage. I do not mean this negatively- how anal are you about discolorations, scratches etc. on your wheels? If you are going to seriously be bothered, you might want to cancel and consider renegotiating the price of the insurance.

I am also wondering if an internet savvy dealer might give you a really good price like Avondale Mazda that sells OEM parts.

Last edited:
Here is your answer:

Does it give you comfort?

Do you feel ripped off?

Choose then sleep well.

For me - in pot hole ridden NY. In 27 years of driving - I'd have NOT used it ONCE.

Here is your answer:

Does it give you comfort?

Do you feel ripped off?

Choose then sleep well.

For me - in pot hole ridden NY. In 27 years of driving - I'd have NOT used it ONCE.

That clinched the deal. Cancelling tomorrow. I also live in NJ (equally if not worse) and go into NY 3 times a week.

Like I said, they went down to $150, and that also includes roadside assistance for 5 years. I didn't think that was a bad offer (The $595 is.).

But I've been driving cars for over 35 years and I've NEVER ​needed roadside assistance!

Some people need it, not everyone can change a tire, etc.

I have a 2014 CX5 and one of my tires took a crap - must have hit something on the roads here in Chicago where everything is under construction and has debris everywhere. Since the tires were a bit worn after almost two years (15k miles), I replaced two, not one (so they would be balanced). So this was a +$400 deal, which would have pretty much broke even with the deal.

That clinched the deal. Cancelling tomorrow. I also live in NJ (equally if not worse) and go into NY 3 times a week.

I live up in Orange County (Chester, NY) and commute to Paraippany, NJ 110 miles R/T. Because you also live in the area you know - they are *pretty good* at repairing pot holes and even if they don't - if you aren't driving 90 MPH and/or texting when your driving you can see the damaged road and avoid it easily.

If driving at night - you probably have memorized the danger areas and know to avoid them when you can't see way ahead.

I say good move - and save your dough.

Ebay has 19" wheel for under $185 shipped. If you need roadside service you might be better off with AAA. Not sure of the cost but basic service used to be ~$80/yr.

$600 seems a little stiff, especially if you can change your own tires. Doesn't the Mazda warranty include roadside service? Tires, not sure.

Your call.

Actually I have an extra aftermarket wheel and tire (mounted)... a nail got in the side wall of one so I simply swapped the whole tire/wheel out, patched the other one and it is an emergency tire only now.

Actually I have an extra aftermarket wheel and tire (mounted)... a nail got in the side wall of one so I simply swapped the whole tire/wheel out, patched the other one and it is an emergency tire only now.
Since we're kicking around the pricing of the tires and the insurance costs, I think we are also over looking the installation, mounting and balancing costs. Per tire, that's easily 50 bucks additional on top of new tread $150, Rim, $ 200.
But what about the costs of the sensors for tire pressure monitoring system? Doesn't that have to be replaced when you get new tires? Isn't that actually kind of expensive?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Since we're kicking around the pricing of the tires and the insurance costs, I think we are also over looking the installation, mounting and balancing costs. Per tire, that's easily 50 bucks additional on top of new tread $150, Rim, $ 200.
But what about the costs of the sensors for tire pressure monitoring system? Doesn't that have to be replaced when you get new tires? Isn't that actually kind of expensive?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

No. The CX-5 uses wheel speed sensors to monitor tire pressure issues and these sensors don't need to be replaced when changing wheels. My aftermarket wheels don't cause any issues with the sensors.

I recently had a screw embedded in the tread of one of my tires. The TPMS alerted me of the problem, I found one tire was about 4 psi lower than the rest. I didn't see the screw so I added air and made a mental note to check it out. But, over the next two days it had not lost a single psi of pressure. So I kept driving it. Then it alerted me again 5 days later and I saw it was almost 4 psi low again. I also saw the embedded screw so I had it patched.

I prefer separate rims with winters mounted on them. Unless the OP gets generic aluminum rims I don't think that ~500 would cover it. That's just me though (shrug)

For the set that is unused

WE0010_L.jpg

Last edited:
Back