Brand new 2016 Mazda - day 3

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Just bought CX-5 GT with iActive package also and loving it. Soul Red, all weather floor mats, rear bumper guard, mud guard, wheel locks for $31800 before tax, here in NJ. The dealer did not want to give out the name so I guess I will honor it. Not sure if its a good deal, price wise.

Anyways - I just don't freaking understand this smart brake system. I tested in in my parking garage today. Piled up those blue big trash cans like a wide pyramid. Then from about 30 ft. cruised into the pile foot off the brakes and the gas. Nada! Zilch! The car banged right into the pyramid. Then I read thru the bible of a manual and correct me if I am wrong here but I think the vehicle automatically will NOT stop the car if the speed's below XX. All it will do is if I do press the brakes it'll help making it pressed harder. However, if it so happens that my speed was greater than XX, then Mazda will try to stop it by its own. I find this surprising and looking at YouTube videos doesn't seem to be the case. So asking?

I have some peeves I am finding but there's a separate thread for it and I'll post it there.

First, congrats on the new car! So since you have the iActive package, there is smart city brake support(on all CX5s w/ tech package) and then smart brake support(which only comes with iActive). SCBS which is what I have, will automatically apply the brakes if you're going I believe less than 18-19mph and about to hit a car(or anything I guess, not sure). Which is what scenario you were trying to replicate. As for it not working, I believe the manual depicts situations that have to be met in order for it stop.

However, first make sure it's on. Most likely it is or else you would see a light on the dash signifying it being off. But besides that, I don't know what to tell you. I've been meaning to test mine because I swear I have gotten pretty dang close to other cars(on purpose) hoping it would activate. But like you, it hasn't. Although I had my foot on the brake but I would still think it would apply the brakes 100% when activated.

The SBS, I don't know much about but I believe that's for when you're going maybe 40mph+ and rapidly approach a vehicle to closely, it will apply the brakes.

Yeah - that's the darn problem. I too have noticed I get really close to the car in front but nothing happens. SCBS is what you have. I need some gurus or pundits here to comment but the manual's confusing. In case of SCBS the manual states the vehicle will apply force on the brakes automatically when the driver starts pressing the brakes and there is an unavoidable chance of frontal collision. Its job is NOT to stop the vehicle but to lessen the damage? What the heck, doesn't make much sense. That's why asking.

There are important system limitations. From the manual.

NOTE
l The Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) system will operate under the following conditions.
l The engine is running.
l The display in the instrument cluster does not indicate that the system requires inspection or it
cannot be used.
l The vehicle speed is between about 4 to 30 km/h (2 to 18 mph).
l The Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) system is not turned off.
l The TCS operation is not turned off using the TCS OFF switch.
l The DSC is not malfunctioning.
l The driver is not deliberately performing driving operations (accelerator pedal, steering
wheel, and braking operations).
l The Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) detects a vehicle ahead by emitting a near-infrared laser
beam and receiving the beam reflected off the reflector of the vehicle ahead, and then using it for the measurement. Consequently, the Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) may not operate under the following conditions:
l Reflection of the laser is poor due to the shape of the vehicle ahead.
l The vehicle ahead is significantly dirty.
l Under bad weather condition, such as rain, fog and snow.
l The window washer is being used or the windshield wipers are not used when its raining.
l The windshield is dirty.
l The steering wheel is turned completely left or right, or the vehicle is accelerated rapidly and
comes close to the vehicle ahead.
l Trucks with low loading platforms, vehicles traveling at extremely low speeds, and vehicles
with a high profile.
l Vehicles with certain shapes such as a vehicle carrier.

SCBS does work as advertised. It saved my ass once. See my post history for details

It's helped me as well...
Yesterday had a woman in front of me change her mind at 40+mph..she slammed on her brakes to do a 180 from the far right hand lane near a congested 4 lane shopping center...she must have seen a SALE! sign in a store that she passed..
It was weird seeing the red light on the dash and to feel the brakes engage....saved me some serious time in the body shop....
Watch out - (nailbyt) lots of hormonal unguided shopping rockets out there...

Its job is NOT to stop the vehicle but to lessen the damage? What the heck, doesn't make much sense. That's why asking.

I interpreted this as legalese meant to cover themselves in case there isn't enough distance between the car and the object for the system to bring the car to a full stop.

On another SCBS note:

It's helped me as well...
Yesterday had a woman in front of me change her mind at 40+mph..she slammed on her brakes to do a 180 from the far right hand lane near a congested 4 lane shopping center...she must have seen a SALE! sign in a store that she passed..
It was weird seeing the red light on the dash and to feel the brakes engage....saved me some serious time in the body shop....
Watch out - (nailbyt) lots of hormonal unguided shopping rockets out there...

And on an SCBS maintenance note: Yesterday, I was out of the car when a heavy snow squall began. Everything, including my CX-5 got covered with maybe 1/4 inch of snow. When I started up, an amber warning message appeared in the info display. : The warning simply cautioned me that the SCBS was covered and to clean it off before proceeding. I was intrigued since that was the only interaction I have had with SCBS since I bought the CX-5 last April; and had really begun to question if it was indeed working. What made it more interesting to me is that I also have the automatic wipers that I knew functioned properly.

I was curious since SCBS does not intervene as I pull into my garage where there is a wall directly in front of where I stop. (maybe 3-5 ft). I would have thought that the system would engage even at speeds UNDER those stated in the manual. NOT....

It will stop the car without applying the brakes manually. It saved my ass in stop and go traffic.

Was at dealership, asking them to verify. Mazda Corp does not anymore allow dealerships to showcase the system. All they did was black tape the emblem and start the car. The display indicated the emblem is required to be cleaned, etc. Bottom-line, they said: proves its working. Ah well!

There are important system limitations. From the manual.

NOTE
l The Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) system will operate under the following conditions.
l The engine is running.
l The display in the instrument cluster does not indicate that the system requires inspection or it
cannot be used.
l The vehicle speed is between about 4 to 30 km/h (2 to 18 mph).
l The Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) system is not turned off.
l The TCS operation is not turned off using the TCS OFF switch.
l The DSC is not malfunctioning.
l The driver is not deliberately performing driving operations (accelerator pedal, steering
wheel, and braking operations).

l The Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) detects a vehicle ahead by emitting a near-infrared laser
beam and receiving the beam reflected off the reflector of the vehicle ahead, and then using it for the measurement. Consequently, the Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) may not operate under the following conditions:
l Reflection of the laser is poor due to the shape of the vehicle ahead.
l The vehicle ahead is significantly dirty.
l Under bad weather condition, such as rain, fog and snow.
l The window washer is being used or the windshield wipers are not used when its raining.
l The windshield is dirty.
l The steering wheel is turned completely left or right, or the vehicle is accelerated rapidly and
comes close to the vehicle ahead.
l Trucks with low loading platforms, vehicles traveling at extremely low speeds, and vehicles
with a high profile.
l Vehicles with certain shapes such as a vehicle carrier.

Important one bolded. If you appear to be in control, it may not actuate. The laser is constantly reading all kinds of objects and returns so it has to make a decision about when to engage and when not to. There's likely some kind of envelope processing going on where it's timing your inputs vs signal returns, so it's not a simple on/off type of thing that would result in a lot of false positives - such as when trying to park.

One report here we've seen a few times is the barrier arm in parking garages setting it off while slowly moving toward it. In that scenario it detects an obstacle suddenly appearing very close and a driver that is giving little input - the exact type of thing SCBS is designed for, avoiding sudden pedestrians and obstacles in close-in urban areas. Deliberately driving toward a wall and hoping it stops you isn't what's designed for.

Last edited:
Was at dealership, asking them to verify. Mazda Corp does not anymore allow dealerships to showcase the system. All they did was black tape the emblem and start the car. The display indicated the emblem is required to be cleaned, etc. Bottom-line, they said: proves its working. Ah well!

I have SCBS and do not have a sensor in the emblem (tech package only. Did not get iActivesense). It is located in the glass behind the rear view mirror. I think the emblem has the radar sensor for radar cruz control and brake support above 18mph (forget what they all it).

Just bought CX-5 GT with iActive package also and loving it. Soul Red, all weather floor mats, rear bumper guard, mud guard, wheel locks for $31800 before tax, here in NJ. The dealer did not want to give out the name so I guess I will honor it. Not sure if its a good deal, price wise.

Anyways - I just don't freaking understand this smart brake system. I tested in in my parking garage today. Piled up those blue big trash cans like a wide pyramid. Then from about 30 ft. cruised into the pile foot off the brakes and the gas. Nada! Zilch! The car banged right into the pyramid. Then I read thru the bible of a manual and correct me if I am wrong here but I think the vehicle automatically will NOT stop the car if the speed's below XX. All it will do is if I do press the brakes it'll help making it pressed harder. However, if it so happens that my speed was greater than XX, then Mazda will try to stop it by its own. I find this surprising and looking at YouTube videos doesn't seem to be the case. So asking?

I have some peeves I am finding but there's a separate thread for it and I'll post it there.

This is why I opted for the Racing model without all that stuff. Just extra weight and sometimes it works, sometimes no, lol!

It seems exactly the same thing happened to 2 dealership employees at Mazda, JP also.

Okay, the thing works!! Yipee Dooooo!!
Also, I am never, ever buying another car WITHOUT adaptive cruise control. This thing is AWESOME!! Torrential rains yesterday with considerable fog. That thing worked, worked and worked and I reached home making very good time. I was absolutely not stressed out. The SBS kicked in at 2 points!! 1: A deer came in front. 2: A crazy driver in Rt. 87 decided to swerve suddenly. Both cases, the dashboard lit up with BRAKE in Red and the car braked...... and I supported it of course. Debatable, whether without it could I have stopped on my own, I think I could have but it really helps. 1st. case: was using radar cruise control, 2nd. case: NOT.

Okay, the thing works!! Yipee Dooooo!!
Also, I am never, ever buying another car WITHOUT adaptive cruise control. This thing is AWESOME!! Torrential rains yesterday with considerable fog. That thing worked, worked and worked and I reached home making very good time. I was absolutely not stressed out. The SBS kicked in at 2 points!! 1: A deer came in front. 2: A crazy driver in Rt. 87 decided to swerve suddenly. Both cases, the dashboard lit up with BRAKE in Red and the car braked...... and I supported it of course. Debatable, whether without it could I have stopped on my own, I think I could have but it really helps. 1st. case: was using radar cruise control, 2nd. case: NOT.

Wow, glad to know the system worked as designed, BUT I think you're a brave soul for using cruise control during torrential rain and considerable fog.

Wow, glad to know the system worked as designed, BUT I think you're a brave soul for using cruise control during torrential rain and considerable fog.

Brave soul or reckless?! A little of both...With that said, I will never buy a car with adaptive cruise control...

Back